All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breads and Baked things
      #11155 - 06/09/03 12:27 PM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

I have tried using soy milk instead of dairy milk in bread recipes before I got Heather's book, but they turned out sticky or heavy. I notice that there are several differences in the ingredients in the book for these kinds fo recipes, but nothing consistent enough for me to try with other recipes. Any ideas what I could try in my not-Heather bread recipes to make soy milk work better?

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breads and Baked things new
      #11161 - 06/09/03 12:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Can you give some recipe examples? I've subbed soy milk for dairy for years and haven't had a problem with heavy results. What kinds of breads/cakes are you having trouble with?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11164 - 06/09/03 01:14 PM
BethE

Mostly quick breads and muffins - I don't bother much with cakes, etc. any more, since they sit and call my name. I'm wondering if, specifically, there's a reason you use vinegar in the cranberry orange bread recipe? I tried using this recipe, but substituted other dried fruits, and had awful results - very disappointing, since I really love the original! Also, the banana bread turns out a little too moist for me - any ideas?

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#11172 - 06/09/03 01:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The vinegar is combined with soy milk, which "clabbers" it. This sort of sours the milk, making it comparable to buttermilk, which gives a really tender result to baked goods. You can pretty much use this trick with soy milk in any baked recipe that calls for buttermilk (also works great for pancakes and waffles and biscuits).

I don't know why the other dried fruits wouldn't have worked for the cranberries - that's odd. I've swapped dried cherries and raisins for cranberries in breads with no problem. Hmmmm....

If banana bread is too moist, you can reduce the amount of banana puree. Or, probably better, try lowering the baking temp to 325 and baking for a slightly longer time. The bread might be too moist because it's underbaked. It's easy to have that happen with banana bread because the natural sugar content is so high (from the super ripe bananas) that the bread can get too brown before it's cooked all the way through.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11218 - 06/10/03 05:03 AM
BethE

Thanks for the answers - I'll have to go try again!

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review