Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Wheat free IBS safe treats?
      #110910 - 10/06/04 04:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Here's a challenge.-
I always make treats for the birthdays of my staff members. It used to be chocolate biscuit refrigerator cake (which I am determined to adapt and the moment I do I will post) Recently I have made ADB's and everyone at work loves them.

BUT..a new girl joined my team and she has a wheat allergy..can anyone suggest a treat that is IBS safe, wheat free and if possible chocolate flavoured? Her birthday is October 18th so you have a little time to come up with something!
Thanks,
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No problem new
      #110916 - 10/06/04 05:09 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Here's a challenge.-
I always make treats for the birthdays of my staff members. It used to be chocolate biscuit refrigerator cake (which I am determined to adapt and the moment I do I will post) Recently I have made ADB's and everyone at work loves them.

BUT..a new girl joined my team and she has a wheat allergy..can anyone suggest a treat that is IBS safe, wheat free and if possible chocolate flavoured? Her birthday is October 18th so you have a little time to come up with something!
Thanks,
Sinead

Hi Sinead,

Do you have access to wheat free flour alternatives like rice, tapioca, and potato starch flours? Or a all-purpose Gluten free baking mix? If so these are my two favorite chocolate recipes from the recipe index. fudgy brownies (or you could make ADB's again. Or: Hot fudge brownies As far as I'm concerned you just can't get to much chocolate!!

I usually use an all purpose mix (be careful as some of these use a lot of bean flour and that can be quite a gas producer) or a mix of about 1/3 to 1/2 cup rice flour and 1/4 tapioca flour plus 1/4 potato starch flour and an added teaspoon of Xanthan gum. The proportions aren't that critical in these recipes, but you don't want to much rice flour or it will taste grainy. Best to error on the side of more of the lighter flours.
Both these are the reason I'm fighting the extra pounds now, but when you've just gotta have some chocolate, that's IBS safe and fat free, these fill the bill.
Good luck..you are a sweetie for baking for the staff!!!

--------------------

Re: Wheat free IBS safe treats? new
      #111003 - 10/07/04 03:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I think I possted my sponge cake recipe that is made with potato start- leave out the fruuit and add cocoa to make ti chocolate (you might want to remove some of the potato starch too) or try makign the merengue recipe I posted with the cocoa folded in- YUMMY!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Kandee- thanks- and question. new
      #111025 - 10/07/04 06:13 AM
cailin

That is great Kandee, thanks. I have definitely seen rice flour in the HFS. Is it just a question of a straight substitution? If so I can play with lots of recipes, hurray.

I LOVE chocolate and have been unbelievably restrained in going from my "at least one bar a day habit" to none at all. The last chocolate I ate was on 10th August (sheds a tear ) but the temptation is NOT there anymore because (a) I am afraid of the pain and (b) I am 18lbs lighter and LOVE my new figure!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111051 - 10/07/04 07:58 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Do an online search for flourless chocolate cakes. I like www.epicurious.com and www.allrecipes.com . You might find one that is adaptable to IBS.
That's nice of you to bake for the office!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Rice flour new
      #111148 - 10/07/04 12:58 PM
Kandee

Quote:

That is great Kandee, thanks. I have definitely seen rice flour in the HFS. Is it just a question of a straight substitution? If so I can play with lots of recipes, hurray. I'm sorry to say that using rice flour as a straight substitution doesn't work to well. It's to grainy. You need to mix the rice flour with a finer flour like potato starch flour, tapioca flour, corn starch or arrowroot. Please don't use any more than 1/2 the total amount of flour that a recipe calls for in rice flour. I've had to learn this the hard way when I only had rice flour on hand. In other words if a recipe calls for 1 cup (wheat flour) use no more than 1/2 cup rice flour and the rest in some other flour that is very powdery fine. Also, don't forget to use Xanthan gum. It subs for the gluten. If in doubt ask your HFS what they recommend in alternative flours. Also go to Celiac.com and look at their recipes. I've been able to successfully sub many of Heather's recipes and ones in the Index with wheat alternative flours without sacrificing taste and texture. You just have to experiment a little.

I LOVE chocolate and have been unbelievably restrained in going from my "at least one bar a day habit" to none at all. The last chocolate I ate was on 10th August (sheds a tear ) but the temptation is NOT there anymore because (a) I am afraid of the pain and (b) I am 18lbs lighter and LOVE my new figure! Oh my, good for you. I won't eat a chocolate bar either because of the fat, but I have a weakness for anything fat free and cocoa laden. I haven't made anything in ages though because once I do the entire pan of brownies would be gone in 2 days! I think you gave me your 18 pounds. That's just about what I need to loose to be back in shape. Good luck Sinead and let us know how your GF baking went. Kandee

Sinead

--------------------

Oh yes... new
      #111151 - 10/07/04 01:02 PM
Kandee

Cocoa meringues are wonderful, and easy, AND fat free!!
That's a great suggestion!

--------------------

Thanks Kandee..Chocoholics Unite! new
      #111196 - 10/07/04 03:12 PM
cailin

Thanks Kandee, I will talk to my HFS about it.
I know what you mean about the brownies, I made a tray the day before yesterday (BF's eyes lit up as did my brother's) I always bring at least half of them to work and let my colleagues eat them, then eat half of them the night I make them and the other half the next day.

I will probably practice the GF baking before unleashing it on my work colleagues though so I will let you know how it goes.

I am beginning to hit the cookies too, nothing with chocolate but they have these yummy ginger flavoured ones over hear with a filling sandwiched between that I am telling myself I can tolerate. (only because my ginger snaps are all gone!)

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111303 - 10/08/04 04:12 AM
khyricat

reminds me I have 2 flourless chocolate cake recipes and I want to play with adapting both of them at some point.. just haven't gotten there yet..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Flourless cakes new
      #111321 - 10/08/04 07:31 AM
Kandee

I love those chocolate flourless cakes but they are sooo high in fat. If you come up with a low fat one, by all means, share please...ok?

Thanks..

--------------------

Another thought Sinead. new
      #111326 - 10/08/04 07:48 AM
Kandee

Oy my, you would mention ginger snaps. That's another of my weaknesses. (Are we related, I AM Irish. ) I buy a GF one by Midel that is so good I have to hide the bag or I'll eat the whole thing in a few days. What's the filling in the ginger cookies you have over there?

Here is a recipe a GF friend gave me. She jokingly calls it Funeral Bread because she gives it out to relatives of a person she knows who has passed on and they never guess it's GF. I've had it, and it's good. You could make it IBS safe by subing the whole eggs with fake eggs or all whites and some of the oil (not all---it keeps it moist) with some baby food prunes or baby food applesauce, and the milk with soy or rice milk of course. She makes it in small loaf pans. I think I would add a few mini-chocolate chips just to add a bit more chocolate kick.

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD

2 1/2 cups GF flour mix
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups grated zucchini (peel first and seed only if large)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup oil
3 eggs

Grease loaf pans..bake 350 degrees for 45+/- Min. Makes 2 loaves.

--------------------

Re: Another thought Sinead. new
      #111474 - 10/08/04 03:24 PM
cailin

Quote:

Oy my, you would mention ginger snaps. That's another of my weaknesses. (Are we related, I AM Irish. Not sure, although I am related to JFK so you never know... where are "your people" from or what is your Irish surname connection?) I buy a GF one by Midel that is so good I have to hide the bag or I'll eat the whole thing in a few days. What's the filling in the ginger cookies you have over there? its a creamy frosting thing, think ginger crunchy Oreos with the filling a creamy yummy soft icing. I just looked up the ingredients and there is dairy,but I'm still standing. My tummy likes sweet things, its red meat and raw onions and acidic fruit it hates

Your recipe sounds great, I will get practising next week and will report back on how it all went.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Thanks Amie new
      #111475 - 10/08/04 03:25 PM
cailin

I am going to get baking next week and will let you know the results

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Kandee - there's a recipe that's super close to these... new
      #111723 - 10/09/04 02:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's the chocolate pecan fallen souffle cake in Eating for IBS. It has that very rich, dense, moist fudgy texture to it. There is a small amount of flour in there - but I've often wondered if that could be omitted, or at least substituted. Most of the cake's body is coming from the finely ground nuts.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Flourless cakes new
      #111727 - 10/09/04 02:59 PM
khyricat

my favorite is only high in fat in that there is a lot of solid melted chocolate in it- once I have some time (probably after the house goes on the market) I'll play with it- was thinking of trying to use cocoa a small amount of oil and applesauce just like I do for other recipes, but not sure what that will do to the texture...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Oh my goodness. There certainly is, and I happen to have all... new
      #111735 - 10/09/04 03:35 PM
Kandee

the ingredients except for the raspberries, which I can pick up later.

Thanks Heather.

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me or you actually did take out the flour from the recipe. I didn't see any in it.

Sinead...this may be your answer to the luscious chocolate dessert you were looking for. I know I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm always looking for something great I can serve yet eat myself.~Kandee

--------------------

It's been a while since I made this... new
      #111736 - 10/09/04 03:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so maybe it doesn't have any flour in it to begin with - whoops!

Also - you don't need the raspberry sauce. It's extra special if you make that, but normally I don't even bother.

Geez, now I'm getting hungry....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: It's been a while since I made this... new
      #111759 - 10/09/04 06:26 PM
khyricat

thanks guys- I'll have to try it to- maybe for thanksgiving dessert since I think thats the next thing I need to bake for...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

thanks everyone for ALL the input.. new
      #111843 - 10/10/04 01:56 PM
cailin

Thank you all so much. I will let you know how it goes, I need to try something out this week as her birthday is next week and I need to make sure that it works before I embarrass myself at work with a culinary disaster!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

You won't.... new
      #111863 - 10/10/04 02:31 PM
Kandee

embarrass yourself...I'm sure of it.
If you've been doing normal baking all along you won't have a problem. If you want to make something easy that you know won't fail try the meringues or Heather's pecan fallen Soufflé. I'm going to try it hopefully today.

I know how appreciative she'll be when she sees what you've done for her, no matter how it turns out. I remember my first loaf of homemade wheat-free yeast bread and quick bread someone gave me. My face lit up for a week!!! (it still does when I think about it)

--------------------

aww thanks Kandee! new
      #111871 - 10/10/04 02:43 PM
cailin

I can definitely do the meringues, and I have a really easy recipe for pavlova that my Mom makes that is safe and I should post (pavlova is a cake sized meringue- do you call it the same over there?)

Please post your update on the fallen souffle, I will dig out Heather's book later and check it out. I need to STOP overloading on sugar though and all your helpful suggestions are NOT helping that part...now I'd better go order my donut pan....

--------------------
S.

Pavlova? new
      #111927 - 10/10/04 06:54 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I can definitely do the meringues, and I have a really easy recipe for pavlova that my Mom makes that is safe and I should post (pavlova is a cake sized meringue- do you call it the same over there?)

Oh my, I don't think so. I believe we'd call it just a meringue tort here. But then it could be any size. Anyone else have any ideas on what we'd call it?

Please post your update on the fallen souffle, I will dig out Heather's book later and check it out. I need to STOP overloading on sugar though and all your helpful suggestions are NOT helping that part...now I'd better go order my donut pan.... I'm sorry. I should dump the sugar in my diet as well, but sometimes there is just nothing else that will satisfy. As infants the taste of "sweet" is the first thing we encounter and as adults we seek that same taste every chance we get. Old habits die hard!!!

--------------------

Re: Pavlova? new
      #111966 - 10/11/04 05:09 AM
khyricat

I grew up on something called Shamtorte.. it was a cake sized merengue shell filled with whipped creama dn strawberries... I've been debating making one and filling it with strawberries and chocolate silk ice cream (from heathers recipe) hrm- think we know what my birthday cake will be next year! I always had shamtortes as a kid!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14030

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review