All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Aussie on here!
      #103 - 01/29/03 02:51 PM
Trish1960

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi

My name is Trish and I am an Aussie, your recipes look great but most of your stuff I can't get in Australia. So, do any of you have any recipes that have really basic ingredients that I can get! For instance I can't get black beans, soy fetta, soy parmesan or mozarella. Or any of the Imagine soups! I would love to get this stuff but unfortunately it is unavailable in the land of OZ.

Trish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Aussie on here! new
      #129 - 01/30/03 12:22 AM
Annie01

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Australia

Havent got any answers for you. But Im an Aussie too. Just new to all this myself. I will be keeping an eye on the replies you get. Cheers.

#130 - 01/30/03 01:22 AM
Nicola

Loc: QLD, Australia

Hi, I'm another Aussie in search of substitute ingrediants! I received my copy of Eating for IBS just last week, and would love to know what to use in place of the "Graham" crackers.

Here are some Aussie ingredient equivalents... new
      #163 - 01/30/03 12:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Here are some of equivalents for Aussie ingredients versus the US ones. For:

canola oil - use safflower or sunflower
green onions - use scallions or spring onions
eggplants - use aubergines
zucchini - use marrows
cilantro - use Chinese parsley
black beans - use pinto or white beans (or actually any bean that you prefer - use canned or cook till very tender)

For the soy cheeses - these don't seem to available in Australia, which is really the pits. Check health food stores to see if they have any non-dairy versions of cheese, read the ingredients, see if you can find something that's got a low fat content. Otherwise you might just have to omit this ingredient. If you're really interested in cooking, there is a fabulous cookbook called the Uncheese Cookbook, which has nothing but recipes for "cheese". They are incredible! Have to watch the fat content though, because some recipes are based on nut butters. The cookbook is at amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0913990426/qid%3D1043956534/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-7533615-0199045

Imagine Soups may just be a US brand. Check your own health food stores for their brands. Any low fat or fat free, dairy free, vegetarian pureed soup should work. I've found the best-tasting ones come in those aseptic boxes instead of cans. And I've tried other brands than Imagine - they were all good.

Graham crackers - well, these definitely seem to be a US thing. No one in the UK or Australia has ever heard of them. They are slightly sweet, very low fat crackers made with graham flour. In my cookbooks they're only used as pie crusts by powdering them into crumbs. You could use any crispy, lightly sweet low fat cracker that you have available, or even use plain white dry bread crumbs. Or, you could simply omit the crusts. For most pies this will actually work just fine.

Hope this helps!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#286 - 02/01/03 06:22 PM
kel1963

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi, another Aussie here but I'm affraid I can't help either. I wonder if any of these support groups are in Australia too and if so, what the address would be. Anyone know?? I'll pop in from time to time to check this out though.

Kelly

Re: Here are some Aussie ingredient equivalents... new
      #1555 - 02/27/03 10:03 AM
AngelaS

Thanks, Heather. The link is quite helpful. Thanks also to Peanut for the info about digestive biscuits - I love them!!

#1563 - 02/27/03 11:39 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Trish - can you order anything online? So, if you can't get any soy cheeses, I guess recipes w/cheese in them are out! Oh well, I really never thought about life w/out cheese.

There are places to order tofu cheeses online in the US but I don't know about AussieLand.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm posting a pumpkin cake recipe in a few minutes and it has normal ingredients. Go take a peek and welcome.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1930 - 03/05/03 05:59 AM
miva

Reged: 03/04/03
Loc: Virginia

Hi, this is Mike. I have a friend in the UK that recommended this website http://www.vnv.org.au/Products.htm#Soy%20Cheese, for information about soy/vegan alternative products. Also, when I checked out this site, I noticed that one of the healthfood stores listed Cole's Northcote, Phone: 03 9489 0699 carries a a brand of soy cheeses called Kingland Soy Cheeses. I'm not familiar with this brand, as I am not from Australia, but maybe it's worth checking out. The name of the website is Vegetarian Network, located in Victoria, Australia. Since, I am not familiar with Australia, I do not know where Victoria is located, but I believe they have some information on their website about stores that carry vegetarian products online. I hope this helps anyone who libves in Australia find some alternative food products to cook with. Best of Luck! Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review