All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Wheat free recipes
      #100911 - 08/24/04 10:13 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello everyone. I was told a few weeks ago I couldn't have wheat anymore, so now am trying to find good recipes. I also have to stay away from sugar, so am looking for any wheat/dairy free & low-fat and sugar recipes or good websites. Any advice on wheat free baking would be greatly appreciated as well!! I am struggling a bit with this new baking, but have only just started.

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sheri (AKA PEANUT) -welcome back!!............Kandee Read too new
      #100953 - 08/24/04 11:22 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I've missed ya girl!!

I can't help you with this but I THINK Kandee can.... I'll yell for her!! hehehe

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Wheat free recipes new
      #101000 - 08/24/04 01:30 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

check the celiac boards... they have a ton... I use them mostly for recipes... unfortunately, I have to check at home for wheat free IBS safe stuff, but there are a lot of celiacs who have other allergies as you describe...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#101076 - 08/24/04 06:13 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hello everyone. Hi Sheri! I was told a few weeks ago I couldn't have wheat anymore, so now am trying to find good recipes. celiac.com is a good place to start. Also putting in a Google search for Gluten Free recipes. It's not so hard as you think to sub a gluten free flour, or mix of flours for reg. wheat flour but you usually have to add Xanthan gum to sub for the actual gluten. I also have to stay away from sugar, so am looking for any wheat/dairy free & low-fat and sugar recipes or good websites. Any advice on wheat free baking would be greatly appreciated as well!! A little trick I use all the time, especially with Heather's loaf breads is to make them in a 9X9 or 8X8 pan instead of a loaf pan. GF breads can be tricky and like to fall now and then, without any warning. I am struggling a bit with this new baking, but have only just started. I'm sorry...you'll get it, I promise. As far as subs for sugar, I can't help you much other than to say use less sugar/honey or a fruit sauce or fruit butter to sweeten things. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Sheri (AKA PEANUT) -welcome back!!............Kandee Read too new
      #101126 - 08/25/04 04:35 AM
Peanut

Thank you Shell Marr!! It is good to be back. What Kandee said sounded great and I now hope to put it to use soon. Wish I was a bit closer to go to Vegas, so I will be there in spirit (since we were only there for our wedding in March). I suggest Excalibur's buffet's for IBS safe foods. We went to a few different ones and Excalibur's was by far the best and we seriously would get excited to eat there.

--------------------

#101132 - 08/25/04 05:23 AM
Peanut

Kandee,
Thank you for the great advice. I am having a look as we speak, but just wanted to thank you!! I know some of the flours in the recipes, I can't get over here. I will just have to work it out some how! THANK YOU again!! I would love any great recipes you have that are low in fat as well.

At least I can still bake for the rest of the family and enjoy the wonderful smells.

Sheri

--------------------

#101166 - 08/25/04 07:03 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Thank you Shell Marr!! It is good to be back. What Kandee said sounded great and I now hope to put it to use soon. Wish I was a bit closer to go to Vegas, so I will be there in spirit (since we were only there for our wedding in March). I suggest Excalibur's buffet's for IBS safe foods. We went to a few different ones and Excalibur's was by far the best and we seriously would get excited to eat there.

WE will enjoy your spirt and party with it!! Thanks for the info on the buffet... I will make sure the others on the Vegas board know! Again...great to have you back and good luck with the wheat free!

--------------------

#101199 - 08/25/04 08:40 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

WE will enjoy your spirt and party with it!! Thanks for the info on the buffet... I will make sure the others on the Vegas board know! Again...great to have you back and good luck with the wheat free!

Well, I ate there in March. It was cheap and I had NO prob finding safe foods. What I liked was that you could get your own beverages and not have to wait on a server. They had de-caf teas and a few herbals. I'm funny and sometimes like my herbals iced so get the hot water and a glass of ice to pour it over. Also, you can get as many glasses of water or juice as you like, so if you need to mix your SFS in one, no problem. Since it is one of the biggest there were tons of tables and spread out so we could, if need be move ones together. Just my 2 cents worth.

Unfortunately I can't remember the items on the buffet.

--------------------

PEANUT new
      #101236 - 08/25/04 10:00 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee,
Thank you for the great advice. I am having a look as we speak, but just wanted to thank you!! I know some of the flours in the recipes, I can't get over here. I will just have to work it out some how! THANK YOU again!! I would love any great recipes you have that are low in fat as well.

At least I can still bake for the rest of the family and enjoy the wonderful smells.

Sheri

Sheri? Can you get a Gluten free pancake mix over there? I like the one from Bob's Red Mill best but have used other brands. I make up lots of Gf pancakes and keep them in the fridge and grab when I want a soluble fiber food in a hurry. I also top with cinnamon. Cinnamon keeps blood sugar low and stable. I'm married to a diabetic and push 1/2 teaspoon off on him daily (in one form or another). I eat the pancakes cold or nuk in the microwave a few seconds...eat plain or with an all fruit preserve or apple butter. I've also used the pancake mix to make up Kree's easy fruit cobbler and put some cinnamon right in the batter...yum. Hint: when you do this make the batter a little thicker than if you were making pancakes. Check on ordering flours and mixes mail order there. It may be worth it.

Kandee

--------------------

#101392 - 08/25/04 05:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

YOU are my twin! I love dogs, can't have wheat, and can't have sugar. I'm excited you posted this...and looking forward to replies!

*hugs*

Your twin, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

BEST ATTITUDE!!! new
      #101394 - 08/25/04 05:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Sheri,

You have the BEST ATTITUDE ever! When I made my hubby baked spaghetti last night...I had to have some It's tough! And YOU are like "I'll just feed it to my fam". WOW! You are AWESOME! Now I really wish I were your twin...

Thanks for the positive tude!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#101475 - 08/26/04 06:08 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

First of all - in wheat free baking - you must start with a good flour. I use Bette's Gourmet Four Blend Flour. You can substitute any recipe that contains wheat flour with this blend 1:1. http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/flourblend.aspx It gets quite difficult when you start trying to substitute other flours for your regular recipes. On Yahoo is a group for Celiac Disease that has a lot of recipes - you should join (even if you do not have Celiac). Good Luck Anne

#101645 - 08/26/04 01:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

"WE will enjoy your spirit and party with it" SHELL! That is ADORABLE!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#101926 - 08/27/04 10:33 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

"WE will enjoy your spirit and party with it" SHELL! That is ADORABLE!

hehehe

--------------------

Ruchie you're back on!! Did the cookies thing work? -nt- new
      #102056 - 08/27/04 06:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#102098 - 08/27/04 10:17 PM
Peanut

Hey there Ruchie! Good to hear from you again. We can do this together, yeah?

--------------------

Re: BEST ATTITUDE!!! new
      #102099 - 08/27/04 10:21 PM
Peanut

THANK YOU! You would laugh, because I love to smell the food instead. To me that is almost as good as eating it. My husband and in-laws look at me and laugh. It is hard baking regualr goodies, but love to see and hear people's reactions to them. That is just as good as....

Thank you again for your kind words!!!!!!

Sheri

--------------------

Re: PEANUT new
      #102100 - 08/27/04 10:26 PM
Peanut

Kandee,

Thank you again for more wisdom. I know that we can't get all of the flours that you can in the states. I am still hunting things down over here is sunny old England. I have a recipe for millet tortillas, but can't seem to be able to track down millet flour. Do you know what would be a suitable sub as far as flour goes? Right now we have Dove's GF flour, Buckwheat & white rice flour. When we get our owh house, we will get the flours that need refrigeration. The fridge in the house is underneath the counter and is TINY compared to the one I had when I lived in the states. LOL!!

Cheers,

Sheri

--------------------

PEANUT! Wheat free recipes! new
      #103528 - 09/02/04 05:30 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Hi Peanut, if you are still looking for some wheat free recipes, I have a few. I'll post them up one by one. Copy/paste, copy/paste, here I go!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Wheat free vegetable stock new
      #103530 - 09/02/04 05:33 PM
Brendarific

Vegetable Stock

1 lb leeks, washed very well, diced
1 ½ lbs carrots, diced
1 ½ lbs onions, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 quarts water

In a large stock pot heat oil over medium low heat. Add vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened but do not brown, about 5-10 minutes. Add herbs and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, skimming as necessary, about 45 minutes. Strain and cool. Stock freezes up to 3 months.

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I freeze it in 2 cup containers, then thaw and add wild rice for soup. Very tasty!

--------------------

Wheat free Smoky sweet potato soup new
      #103531 - 09/02/04 05:35 PM
Brendarific

1 -4 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 medium)
4 carrots, peeled and diced
6 cups vegetable broth
I teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons canola oil
I cup finely diced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons honey
1—3 teaspoons chipotle powder (optional)

Fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed, finely shredded, for serving.

Baked corn chips (Tostitos), for serving.

In a large heavy stockpot simmer the sweet potatoes, carrots, thyme, and broth for 2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally with a wire whisk, until vegetables disintegrate.

Mash vegetables in pot with a potato masher if necessary.
In a non-stick skillet heat oil over medium low, and sauté onion and garlic until lightly golden. Add to broth with maple syrup, honey; and chipotle powder to taste. Serve individual bowls of soup topped with a sprinlde of cilantro. Serve with baked corn chips.

--------------------

Wheat free cake mix and cakes new
      #103533 - 09/02/04 05:43 PM
Brendarific

Basic Cake Mix

This mix will make four cakes, and it can be doubled easily. Store the mix in a plastic bag or plastic container with your regular flours for you to add the fresh eggs, shortening, and liquid when stirring up the cake.

5¼ cups GF Flour Mix** (below)
2¼ teaspoons xanthan gum
8 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons powdered vanilla
2 tablespoons Egg Replacer

Whisk all ingredients together and store on pantry shelf.

FEATHERLIGHT YELLOW CAKE: Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl place 2 cups Basic Cake Mix.

Add: 1 egg plus 1 egg white (or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute)
1/3 cup mayo or light mayo
2/3 cup nondairy sour cream

Beat for about 1 minute on medium speed and turn batter into an 8" square pan sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. (See below for flavor variations.)

LOW-FAT CAKE: Preheat oven to 3500. In a mixing bowl place 2 cups Basic Cake Mix.

Add: 1 egg plus 1 egg white (or ½ cup liquid egg substitute)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons pear or apple sauce
1/2 cup low-fat milk or nondairy liquid

Beat for about 1 minute on medium speed and turn batter into an 8" square pan sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. (This is excellent with the Spiced Ginger Flavor.)

LACTOSE-FREE, SOY-FREE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl place 2 cups Basic Cake Mix.

Add: 1 egg plus 1 egg white
4 tablespoons melted margarine
1/3 cup citrus-flavored carbonated beverage (Sprite, etc.)

Beat for about 1 minute on medium speed and turn batter into an 8" x 8" pan sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.

LOW-FAT CHOCOLATE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl place 2 cups Basic Cake Mix.

Whisk in: 3 tablespoons cocoa
Add: 1 egg plus 1 egg white
2 TB vegetable oil
One 2 ½ -ounce jar baby pea puree
½ cup cherry cola

Beat for about 1 minute on medium speed and turn batter into an 8" square pan sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.

MOCHA FLAVOR: To any of the above recipes add 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules plus 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa to the dry mix before adding any liquid.

ORANGE FLAVOR: To the Basic Cake Mix add 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest before adding any of the liquids. This is especially good with the citrus-flavored carbonated beverage.

SPICE CAKE: To the Basic Cake Mix add 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon cloves, and ¼ teaspoon allspice before adding the liquids.

SPICED GINGER FLAVOR: To the Basic Cake Mix add 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger before adding the egg and liquids.

**GF Flour Mix
2 parts white rice flour
2/3 part potato starch flour
1/3 part tapioca flour

Large quantity mix:
6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour

I believe this is from a cookbook by Bette Hagman, the QUEEN of wheat free cooking!

--------------------

Wheat free "Bisquick" mix new
      #103535 - 09/02/04 05:47 PM
Brendarific

Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
2 ½ cups rice flour
1 2/3 cups potato starch
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 ½ teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder
3 tablespoons Egg Replacer (optional)
1 cup less 1 tablespoon shortening

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, buttermilk powder, and Egg Replacer (if used). With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until no lumps appear. Store in a 2-quart plastic bag or container in the refrigerator.

PLAIN BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 400. To 1¼ cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix add 1 egg (or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute) beaten with ¼ cup water for rolled biscuits or 1/3 cup water for light drop biscuits. Handle gently and roll out or drop as soon as the dough is moistened. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 8 biscuits.

SWEET SHORTCAKE BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 400. To 1¼ cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix add 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 egg (or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute) beaten with ¼ cup water. Handling lightly, pat into rounds and put on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 8 biscuits.

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 400. To 1¼ cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix add 1 sweet potato, baked, peeled, and mashed. (I microwave mine.) Use 1 egg and add enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll or pat out and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 biscuits.

GREEN ONION BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 400. To 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Buttermilk Biscuit Mix add 5 tablespoons chopped green onions and 2 tablespoons cornmeal.

Mix with 1 egg (or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute) and about ¼ cup cold water to make a dough stiff enough to roll out. Cut and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 8 biscuits.

QUICK CHEESE MUFFINS: Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 12 muffin tins by greasing the bottoms only. To 2 cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix add:

Mix together:

2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten slightly, or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup cold water

Stir the liquids into the biscuit mix and drop into the prepared tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. Recipe may be halved for 6 muffins.

Again, I believe this recipe came from a Bette Hagman cookbook.

--------------------

Wheat Free Almond Cookies new
      #103536 - 09/02/04 05:50 PM
Brendarific

Wheat Free Almond Cookies

1 cup sifted oat flour
1 cup almond meal flour
½ cup butter (I use soy or canola margarine)
6 TB maple sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
½ tsp cinnamon, Saigon
2 TB maple sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet, set aside.With a hand mixer, blend the butter, maple sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add the almond meal flour and the oat flour and mix until the dough sticks together.

Form the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls. Place them on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and roll them in the cinnamon/maple sugar mixture while they are still warm. Yield: 2 dozen.

--------------------

Rice Flour Tortillas new
      #103538 - 09/02/04 05:54 PM
Brendarific

Rice Flour Tortillas

1 cup white rice flour
1 tsp Mexican seasoning
½ cup water
2 tsp vegetable oil

In a small bowl, mix the flour and Mexican seasoning. Stir in water, then evaluate the consistency. The dough should be soft, but not wet, and mold easily into shapes. The dough will easily form a ball as you stir it. If necessary, add a bit more flour or water to achieve the proper consistency.

Pinch off balls of dough the size of golf balls. Roll them in additional flour to coat well. Knead each ball a bit as your pat or roll it into a flat circle that's about 1/8" thick and 5" - 6" across. Repeat with all dough.

Heat a heavy frying pan or griddle. Use no oil. Place each tortilla in the hot pan, and cook for a few minutes on each side. Tortillas should become lightly brown and start to appear dry. Cool on wire racks.

Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, or freeze. Reheat in a toaster or warm oven.

--------------------

Oat Flour Pie Crust new
      #103539 - 09/02/04 05:55 PM
Brendarific

Oat Flour Pie Crust

1 ¼ cups oat flour
¼ tsp sea salt

2 TB vegetable oil
4 or 4 ½ TB chilled water

Before you start, make sure all ingredients are well chilled. Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a 9" pie plate, set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, stir together all ingredients with a fork. Pat dough into prepared pie plate. Press pastry between fingers to make an edge. Add pie filling of choice, bake according to directions for pie filling.
If baking pie crust alone, use fork to prick bottom in several places to prevent buckling.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden. Yield: one 9" pie crust.

--------------------

Applesauce Rice Bread new
      #103540 - 09/02/04 05:57 PM
Brendarific

Applesauce Rice Bread

1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 ½ cups white rice flour
1/3 cup potato Starch
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¼ cup applesauce
3 Tb milk

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 4" x 6" bread pan, set aside.

Mix sugar and egg. Sift together flour, potato starch, soda and cream of tartar. Stir into egg mixture. Add applesauce and milk. Pour into prepared pan and bake 40 minutes.

Cool slightly before removing from baking pan. Makes good peanut butter sandwiches, is sweeter than plain rice bread. Yield: 1 loaf

--------------------

Holy Cow! What a great recipe list for the celiac folks - thank you! -nt- new
      #103573 - 09/02/04 10:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Peanut - Millet Flour Substitution new
      #104165 - 09/06/04 06:17 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Peanut,

Corn flour is a great substitution for millet - nice and light. Millet can be dry in cake mixes, so don't use too much.

Try your Asian groceries for g/f flours. Indian shops have lentil and chick pea flours (strong tasting) and may have potato flour - great for thickening savoury dishes. (Arrowroot flour is good for thickening sweet dishes.)

Chinese groceries usually have rice flour, corn flour, polenta, etc. and at prices a lot less than the supermarkets.

If you are into eating porrige, try making one with rolled rice or rice flakes and water - about 1/2 cup. Microwave for 3 minutes and then add your milk. (I use soy or rice milk). If you can find it, amaranth (puffed) also makes a great porrige. I make porrige from half rice flakes and half amaranth. It's a good way to get some soluable fibre first thing in the morning.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31982

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review