All Boards >> New Board! IBS Diet Question of the Day - Ask Heather!

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Have an IBS question you'd like to see featured? Ask it!
      #373876 - 05/21/19 01:37 PM
jcwilson284

Reged: 05/20/19

I am newly diagnosed with IBS-C. Why is it suggested to eliminate the high-fodmap foods, then reintroduce them later to see which ones gave you trouble. To me the whole point is if it gave you trouble in the first place don't eat it??? Also, some of the fodmap cookbooks have recipes in them that have high-fodmap ingredients in them???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Surgery -- Medication Question new
      #373897 - 07/04/19 06:30 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good Morning Heather:

I underwent a successful, 5-hour surgery last week to remove more than half of my liver and I am back home now. I didn't require an enema prior to the surgery. I arranged for all my own food to be brought to the hospital by my husband and adopted daughter. I had an absolutely wonderful surgeon -- Dr. Ian McGilvray of Toronto.

My problem now is that my reduced bile production is causing certain symptoms that are posing challenges with my regular IBS-safe diet. I am in great need of a dietician (or whoever you would suggest) who could help me with a diet to manage my IBS and reduced bile situation while my liver rejuvenates over the next month or so.

Would you have a dietician to recommend -- someone knowledgeable in treating IBS? I find so many dieticians think they know how to treat IBS, but, in fact, they really do not understand it at all.

As you know, I live in Toronto, Canada, so I would need someone willing to take me on right away by phone. I can pay them via a Canadian-based credit card.

Please let me know. I remain very grateful to you for all that you have done for me over the past 16 years of my life. Because of you, I lead a relatively normal life IBS-wise. I refer everyone I know with IBS to you for help.

Thank you.

Re: Surgery -- Medication Question new
      #373901 - 07/19/19 03:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Belinda! I am so sorry you had to go through all this, but thrilled that you sailed through it and are doing well. That is fantastic!

I unfortunately do not have any referrals for dietitians in this area. I would ask your surgeon, general GI doc, and even regular family doc.

Reduced bile usually means reduced ability to digest fats, which is already kind of an issue with IBS. Go low fat, even very low fat, just not fat free. Peppermint can stimulate the production of bile, so you may add in peppermint tea and/or peppermint oil caps and see if those help. They will help with IBS as well.

Please keep me posted!!

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: FODMAP Reintroduction new
      #373904 - 07/22/19 12:39 PM
PapaKins

Reged: 07/17/19

jcwilson284,

I can't find any responses to your question so I'll take a stab at it. Your question is, "why eliminate foods only to reintroduce them later?" Your initial conclusion is that, if you eliminate a food that causes, why not just stick to that program. That is a great question.

As I understand it, not everyone has issues with all the elements of the FODMAP program. For example, you may be be sensitive to sorbitol. If that is the case, you will likely not be able to reintroduce blackberries into your diet. Same holds true for other FODMAP groups.

I am following the elimination diet right now and can assure you that after my initial 6 weeks effort, the first thing that I'm going to reintroduce is bread. I certainly hope that works because I am good baker and thoroughly enjoy bread. If adding bread works, that will be great; if not, I'll learn to live without it. No big deal either way.

I hope this helps you understand the process. The elimination phase doesn't have to be forever ... just long enough to clear your system and see what works for you. Try to not look at the elimination phase as a limit on what you can eat for the rest of your life; rather, as a way to identify those things that work for you and those that cause problems.

Edited by PapaKins (07/22/19 12:51 PM)

Re: Have an IBS question you'd like to see featured? Ask it! new
      #373912 - 08/21/19 01:02 PM
GrandmaMimi

Reged: 08/21/19

Hello-Does anyone have problems with FODMAPs and Lectins? I have trouble with both. It is difficult to get a balanced diet.

#373928 - 12/02/19 07:18 PM
troxell4

Reged: 07/15/07

Is a good quality collagen protein powder an IBS irritant?

#373941 - 04/09/20 05:13 PM
LuvsNoodles

Reged: 04/09/20

Hello..... So I read on your IBS website that you say that Fat is an IBS trigger....Why then do you recommend a Low Fat Diet and NOT a Fat Free Diet? ....Is there a reason behind this that really makes a difference in cotrolling IBS symptoms?....Would following a Fat Free Diet hinder progress improving IBS symptoms?.... Since fat is NOT supposed to be good for IBS....Then why have it in your diet to any degree if you can avoid it?.....I'm not looking for the standard..We all need fat answer...Rather..I'd like to know if going as Fat Free as possible hinders person's progress with IBS symptoms?...Or helps them?....Does it really make a difference to have some fat...A Low Fat Diet if you're battling IBS?...
Since fat is an IBS trigger as I understand it to be.

Thank you.. :-)

Edited by LuvsNoodles (04/09/20 05:30 PM)

#373942 - 04/09/20 05:35 PM
LuvsNoodles

Reged: 04/09/20

Hello again.....Can a Vegetarian version of an IBS Diet be followed?....Is there a Vegetarian version of your IBS Diet?

Thanks.. :-)

#373943 - 04/10/20 10:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - yes, that is actually easy, vegan as well. Rely on your plant meat substitutes, any of the non dairy milk/cheese subs (rice, soy, oat, almond, flax hemp), use egg whites, and add in very well cooked and pureed beans/lentils.

There are a ton of veggie recipes in Eating for IBS and for many of the non-veggie ones you could easily swap in firm tofu or seitan.

The principle would be the same - soluble fiber foundation, add in as much insoluble fiber - carefully! - as you can, and avoid the triggers. Red meat and dairy are major triggers, so you're already avoiding those. Go low fat, not fat free. Even easier as a veggie.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373948 - 05/21/20 08:30 PM
EricaD

Reged: 05/20/20

Hi Heather! I recently sent you an email with a question similar to the one you were responding to here, as I hadn’t yet seen this post.
I had been avoiding any caffeine because it seems to have been one of the triggers for me, but dealing with cutting out caffeine was really hard, and I had already been struggling with a lot of exhaustion in general.
One thing I wanted to ask you about is that I’ve had it happen a few times when I was feeling really nauseous and tired that i ate or drank something sweet that I really like - like chocolate almond milk, or a chocolate chip cookie or something (that was before I was on your diet), but I found myself feeling a lot better almost immediately. I haven’t been doing this often because I am concerned about eating too much sugar as I know it’s generally not healthy, and I also have a history of a lot of yeast infections. Have you heard of this happening for others? Do you have any advice on what I should do?

It is good to hear that sometimes IBS can be really exhausting (ie that this is normal) but that it won’t last (at least I hope that’s what you were implying).

I would definitely like to learn anything there is to learn about how to have more energy consistently.

Thank you so much!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 97306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review