All Boards >> New Board! IBS Diet Question of the Day - Ask Heather!

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Have an IBS question you'd like to see featured? Ask it!
      #373737 - 09/06/18 04:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Please ask away, and we'll feature questions as the IBS topic of the day, with helpful answers!

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Have an IBS question you'd like to see featured? Ask it!
      #373741 - 09/20/18 10:16 AM
Texastornado

Reged: 09/17/11

I'm taking a trip in a few weeks and I'm concerned about what to drink if i can not buy Lactose free milk. I have seen many shelf stable milks.. of those, which is safest for IBS-D? Thanks!

#373801 - 01/18/19 04:10 PM
Spin

Reged: 09/21/18

I actually have 2 questions. Can you recommend a probiotic for ibs? During an ibs attack when I have consumed the wrong food do you have any advice on how to help the extreme Nausea feeling and the severe cramping? Any help would be appreciated because when I have an attack I’m in severe pain for 4/6 hours till it passes. Thanks

#373804 - 01/21/19 01:47 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - best probiotic I know is VSL #3, expensive and hard to find, probably have to order online. Another good one is Digestive Advantage IBS, easy to find at grocery/drug stores and affordable.

Try strong hot peppermint tummy tea for the nausea and cramps - brew it black, leave the teabag in the whole time you drink it, so it's as strong as possible. That will help very, very quickly. More info: https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/teas_pmint-can-bags/peppermint-tummy-teabags-can/

When things have calmed down enough to eat a little bit get some plain soluble fiber in your gut with more strong peppermint tea - plain white rice is perfect, or some tummy fiber, etc.

If you are in a medical marijuana state that can also be an option for help with the pain and cramps - there are delivery methods that can stop pain really fast. You may have to play with the THC vs CBD varieties to see what helps you the most, the fastest, and also try vape vs sublingual vs some type of edible (hard candy to suck on), etc. There are an increasing number of options in this whole area of treatment.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373811 - 02/08/19 11:55 AM
Ninjean

Reged: 02/08/19

Hi Heather
Do you know if your delicious maple oat bread and apple spice walnut bread would work with GF flour or rye flour? Still trying to work out what I can eat - psyllium and yeast are out and i think I am better without wheat. Its difficult to sort these out.

#373812 - 02/11/19 10:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I would not sub rye flour but a commercial gluten free all purpose baking flour (I know Bob's Red Mill makes one) should give good results.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

#373817 - 02/14/19 04:21 PM
LBeth

Reged: 02/14/19

I would like help finding a sugar substitute that will not trigger IBS-C. I have always used Sweet N Low but am now thinking it’s not my best choice. Thank you!

#373818 - 02/18/19 11:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - stevia is the only safe option - see here https://www.helpforibs.com/news/artificial-sweeteners-ibs.asp

XOXO
Heather

--------------------

#373826 - 03/11/19 08:56 PM
stephaston

Reged: 12/10/07
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi Heather, I’ve read about how hormones around a woman’s period can affect IBS symptoms, but can it work the other way around, too? I’m asking because I’m on hormones for premature ovarian insufficiency and I find that I have breakthrough bleeding when I’m constipated. I’m still figuring out the right dosage with my doctor (I also have Hashimoto’s, which is the cause of the poi, and am on thyroid hormone as well). Any information or ideas where to look for information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#373829 - 03/22/19 02:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I have never seen any research to show that IBS affects hormones. But, logically anything that physically stresses your body, like an IBS attack, could then affect hormonal issues as well if they respond to stressors. For example, having a bad bout of IBS could certainly contribute to a bad round of menstrual cramps.

I'm not at all sure how this would play in to hormonal medications that are affecting things. Thyroid meds can also really affect IBS.

You might call your pharmacist and ask for some advice as well - they often have better medication info and feedback from patients than the docs do.
XXOO
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 96979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review