All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please! Everyone read and take this very seriously...
      #354551 - 01/14/10 02:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm getting overwhelmed with complaints about threads, posters, arguments, the general atmosphere on the boards, and more.

If I locked every thread and banned every poster who has someone unhappy with them right now, the boards would be dead in the water.

A few ground rules, please:

If you have a problem with a specific post that you think is inappropriate to the boards, to the point that the post should be removed or the thread locked, DO NOT post about it! Simply email us at Help@HelpForIBS.com, with the link to the specific post, and we'll take care of it.

If you have a problem with a specific poster who has a point of view you simply cannot agree with, please feel free to respectfully disagree with them but if, after one reply post, it's clear that there will be no agreement on the matter, LET IT DROP. There is no point to arguing back and forth.

If a viewpoint is put forth that is clearly contradictory to the focus of the boards entirely, again, let us know with a quick email.

I'm trying my best to keep the boards a happy and helpful place, but I can't do it alone.

The best advice I can give when you see a post that just doesn't work for you, or multiple posts by someone who simply isn't speaking your language, is to just ignore it all and move on to other posts and other posters.

Please keep letting me know about problems via email, and we'll try to keep things going smoothly.

I have to note that at this point, posters who do not simply notify us of offensive posts and instead post an offensive reply will likely be banned.

Thank you to all.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Safe Haven.... new
      #354552 - 01/14/10 04:30 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Thank you Heather... You have a great heart, much knowledge, and a passion for doing what is right. I support you entirely in having these boards be a 'safe haven' and a nice place to visit.

People have things to work through with their 'gut' and also their 'heads' as a result.

I so much appreciate your website!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Please! Everyone read and take this very seriously... new
      #354579 - 01/14/10 08:39 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I have to say I actually enjoy the heated debates on here.
Sometimes they can get personal and nasty and thats not fun ..but I enjoy hearing other people debate serious issues not related to IBS.

I hope that the people on here continue to debate each other and not just hold each others hand or kiss butt to make everyone else feel good.
Sometimes you have to say it like it is and as the good DR.Phil says..."Lets keep it real"..at least I think thats what he says,sounded good...

For those who do not like conflict I suggest you not join in when something really bothers you and skip those posts.

If my comments get me banned..then so be it.It was nice meeting you all and I have some new great friends to take along.

Thats my opinion,
dragonfly
aka Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Please! Everyone read and take this very seriously...Dragonfly new
      #354580 - 01/14/10 08:54 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Chris -

I agree with you about "debates" - I love to hear other people's opinions, as well.

But, what we have witnessed on here lately has been a personal attack on everything a certain person said - there lies the difference. I have no personal feelings toward either of these two, but would suggest that neither communicate with each other or read each other's posts. Kind of makes sense, huh? If I thought you were going to attack me, I wouldn't read it! Allow me to introduce myself : a/k/a "Chicken Little" I HATE confrontation and I feel the pain of the other person, whether I like them or not - even on movies! I know I'm weird, but that's what makes Life fun. If we were all the same - how boring.

Can't understand how some can "kiss butt" one minute to one person and turn around and attack the other.

But, hopefully this will stop, after Heather's plea.

So, start your debate, my Canadian friend - your choice...American health care vs. Canadian health care? Alternative medicine vs. conventional medicine? Home schooling vs. public school? To breathe or not to breathe? Those are debates, not attacks.

Let's bring this back to a place of healing...

Blessings! ~ Dorothy

P.S. We had a "warm" 50 today! :-)

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#354593 - 01/15/10 07:13 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Love your post Dragonfly!

There are several posters I don't care for, neither their attitude or their POV, so I refrain from reading their posts. It certainly saves me the drama. And then you don't have those threads that go on and on and on...

Another Dr. Philism, "How's that working for ya?" I would say, ignoring those that aggravate us...pretty darn good!

#354598 - 01/15/10 09:06 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I agree that debates and conversation are great. After all we are human and we thrive on communication. I also agree that the personal attacks and two-faced comments are very harmful to our friends on the board. We come here for support, not to be chastised.

I have one point: If you don't want someone's opinion of your activity / lifestyle / etc then you shouldn't post it on the board.

But yes, let's be friends.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Great post and hope you are doing well overall -nt- new
      #354600 - 01/15/10 09:12 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#354621 - 01/15/10 02:39 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Toady, exactly! You hit the nail on the head. If you don't want the opinions,especially on your personal life, then don't ask for them! Hallelujah, Amen!

Debates are fine... new
      #354629 - 01/15/10 06:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

personal attacks where one poster repeatedly targets another (particularly in non-debate threads) are not.

I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with each other and expressing that clearly (and politely). What a boring and unhelpful world this would be without variety.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4419

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review