All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is a flu shot okay?
      #316083 - 10/04/07 05:01 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I'm IBD-D. Can I get a flu shot? Anyone have a bad reaction? Any advice? I called my dr today- but no call back and the shots are coming tomorrow!!

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is a flu shot okay? new
      #316087 - 10/04/07 05:37 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I was wondering the same thing, too. Set appointments up for my girls but not myself. Not sure if I want to mess with it.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#316088 - 10/04/07 05:41 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I'd ask if the flu shot you're being given has thimerosal (mercury)in it. A lot do. Have you been violently ill before to warrant needing one? I've never had one and I've never had the flu. And, I teach elementary school where those things run rampant. I eat well(fruits/vegetables,try to reduce the junk food (not so easy!)and take MG beta glucan, a natural immune booster. I stay far away from those shots, especially those with mercury. Too many risks. Just my opinion.

#316101 - 10/05/07 04:54 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I get a flu shot every year and have for the last 10 or more. I have never had a bad reaction. In fact, I used to get bronchitis or pneumonia every winter, and I haven't had it once since I started getting the shot. (Hurray for me!)

Remember that the flu shot is meant for Influenza A & B and not the gastric flu. Always check with your dr. first - they know best. If you had a reaction to any vaccination, then the answer is know.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#316109 - 10/05/07 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm IBS-D. I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past 8 years and never had any problems with it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I never miss getting one. - nt - new
      #316114 - 10/05/07 03:07 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Depends who you talk to! new
      #316125 - 10/05/07 06:35 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I've heard horror stories and I've heard they work great for others. I myself am chicken to get it. I, of course, make myself think that I'd end up being one of the horror stories so I don't get one. I've had the "flu" a few times. I got over it in a few days. I think the people who are at risk should get one and that is the people with Asthma(however my son has seasonal asthma and I still don't get him one and he's 9 )people who are prone to pneumonia or bronchitis and the elderly. I guess some day I will be "the elderly" but until then......NO flu shot for me!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#316142 - 10/06/07 09:06 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

It's not really a horror story but I am allergic to the flu shot. I had massive hives and swelling of the throat, although I could still breathe OK, so no visit to the ER. I called the doctor and they told me to take a large dose of Benedryl and continue on it for several days. When you have this reaction you cannot ever take the shot again, so I'm told. Guess I have to use plenty of hand sanitizer in the winter. I have had the flu before as well. It is debilitating and took about two weeks to really get over it.
I say try the shot though because allegic reactions are uncommon. It didn't bother my stomach at all and believe me even most things on Heather's diet bother my stomach.

Good Luck

Laura

#316153 - 10/06/07 05:03 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

See now that to me would be a horror story! Are you allergic to eggs? They say if you are that you shouldn't take the flu shot. I never heard of anyone really being allergic to it but I have heard people say they got the flu really bad after it. Yep, either one...allergic or getting the flu after receiving the shot is enough for me to not try it.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I chickened out! - nt new
      #316169 - 10/07/07 08:53 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

I get one every year now new
      #316174 - 10/07/07 09:16 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Now that it's a dead virus, I get one every year. Back in the '60's though, my mom got one where she was teaching in Iowa and came down with Swine Flu. She was in a coma for a week , but made a full recovery.

The flu shot gives me a sore throat, so I take lots of benedryl (1 1/2 every 5 hours). I haven't had any problems once the symptoms are controlled. I normally will get sick at the tail end of winter, but nothing horrible like I used to before I got the shot.

As a kid, I was sick from the end of summer to the beginning of spring with a stuffy nose, nose runs, and a sore throat and cough. As my parents were morons, I did not see a doctor and since OTC meds were forbidden in our home, I just suffered.

As soon as I discovered cough syrup as a teenager, then benedryl in high school, I did much better. Now that I'm an adult, the flu shot has meant the difference between surviving the cold season and actually staying productive and enjoying my quality of life.

~nelly~

Make sure you're having a good day, feeling stable. -nt- new
      #373248 - 10/26/16 10:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11638

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review