All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pregnant and doctor wants me off acacia - help?
      #271435 - 06/28/06 02:38 PM
danyelle

Reged: 06/28/06

I just found out today that i'm pregnant and am thrilled, but my doctors want me to go off acacia (which has changed my life) and I'm worried. I would love to show them research that shows that acacia is safe for pregnancy but not sure if there is any. Also wanting to know what other over the counter is the best to use if i can't use acacia? seems like citrucel from what I can tell, but I will have to take like tons of it to equal what I take now in acacia. any advice for what to do or where to go?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pregnant and doctor wants me off acacia - help? new
      #271437 - 06/28/06 02:41 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi,

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You might do a search for acacia and pregnancy to see what you can find. Also, did you tell your docs it's organic and kosher? I think Benefiber is the closest to Acacia in terms of how you use it, so you might want to check that out.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#271448 - 06/28/06 03:45 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Congrats!!

I emailed Heather to see if she could answer your questions for ya... so stay tune

Also, I found this thread.... web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

There should be no worries at all about this... new
      #271461 - 06/28/06 05:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

acacia is also called gum arabic - your docs might know it better by that name. It's considered GRAS by the FDA, which means generally recogized as safe, which means there are no limitations on its use in foods and beverages. It's what Altoids mints are made from, it's in tons of everyday food products.

I'd ask your docs if they want you off a soluble fiber supplement (which would make no sense) or if they want you off acacia (which would mean they probably just don't know what it is).

Acacia is actually used for morning sickness in Ayurvedic medicine, and has been for centuries.

Hope this helps - and congrats!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yea!! Congratulations on being preggers. No info to add. Just wanted to say that. *nt new
      #271470 - 06/28/06 05:43 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#271509 - 06/29/06 05:19 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Take this info to your doc. I am pregnant and see a high risk OBGYN and he said it looked to be just fine. He said if it works for you tummy then by all means continue to use it. I was miserable the first 6 weeks when I went off of it because I was leery but am now a very happy camper being back on it. Good luck and congrats on being pregnant!!!

Congrats and.... new
      #271520 - 06/29/06 06:23 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I agree with everyone else--it should be fine. I am 7 months pregnant and have been taking Benefiber for a long time. I told my doctor at my first appointment and he said it was just fine to take. So really push this issue, especially if you find it has really helped.

--------------------

Re: Congrats I don't have anything about Acacia though Sorry *nt* new
      #271524 - 06/29/06 06:49 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Re: Congrats new
      #271551 - 06/29/06 08:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

CONGRATS!!! My high risk obgyns, two RE's (reproductive endocrinologist) and fetal medicine doctor all said the acacia was just fine too take while pregnant!!! I've been through fertility treatments and 5 miscarriages due to auto-immune disease and have seen the gamete of doctors and they all said it was just fine!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#272604 - 07/05/06 12:19 PM
Jorjina

Reged: 06/15/06

I have been doing research on the subject. Come to find out... It has been used for a long time by naturalist doctors and midwives for pregnancy and post partum! Heathers Acacia is organic, with no fillers or preservatives, unlike many other fiber supplements. Heathers website even states that it is safe! You know that she has done her research. Find another OB if they give you a hard time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1855

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review