All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Exactly Sand new
      #232736 - 12/20/05 01:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The boards have changed alot since I first posted but that's inevitable as the people change.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe send warning emails to people who are getting stroppy telling them to back off? And maybe send emails (or PMs) to people who bring up contentious topics asking them to be careful with their wording in future??? But I really don't think there's alot that can be done. Whilst people are intolerant, there are always going to be issues on an open board.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Question for Heather new
      #232750 - 12/20/05 06:05 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I noticed in your post where you asked us to vote that you said you had seen PM horribly abused on other boards. What do you mean by that? Can you explain?

Re:I must be way to naive new
      #232780 - 12/20/05 08:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I too have been here for a long time and have seen people come and go for various reasons. I may not post a lot in the Diet section anymore but I feel like I have grown close to a lot of people here. There will always be topics that someone isn't going to like in a public forum like this but I would be devastated if the Living Room was limited more. I voted no for the pm'ing but really I guess if it makes some people happy its not going to bother me but I also post my email address and I'm happy to receive emails from people here. I just know that without all of you, I would have had a much harder time coping with things the last couple of years and I would hate to lose such support. Maybe I'm being selfish, I don't know. Maybe I'm too liberal, I don't know. We do have to power to not read threads that get to far out of our comfort zones. I think that some people don't post things out of modesty or embarrassment or whatever but they often find comfort and answers in other peoples post.

If it will help, I will volunteer to be a spring board for people who aren't sure if something is suitable for the boards. As I said, there's not much that I'm offended by or embarrassed by.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Well, thank you for this! new
      #232901 - 12/20/05 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's funny - I have my own list of what I love and hate about the boards, too!

It seems as if most of the troublesome posts come up in the Living Room, and that's the board where I spend the least amount of time. I figure that since the subject matter is not IBS, and is pretty much open to anything else, people will conduct themselves honorably and if they don't, someone will report it to me. Where things sometimes go wrong is that problems don't get reported, and I can't follow all the threads on this board closely enough to pick up problems on my own.

So - if anyone does have a problem with posts, please let me know at Help@HelpForIBS.com and I'll look into it as fast as possible.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank YOU Heather! new
      #232921 - 12/20/05 03:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather and my Living Room family,

I have been a moderator for these boards since it began!

And I love all of the people here.

And I love being a part of this family.

Because of the people here I have been able to take my medication for bipolar. Because of the people here I am learning to be assertive. Because of the pepole here I am growing and learning all the time!

You each have something unique and special to offer the group. Perhaps you do not even know how much you've helped someone. I know many of you have inspired me in ways I've never told you before. For ex. if I need to work on exercising...I think of Shell and Ginger and Amy and yes you too Jenny!!!

If I ever want to work on any aspect of myself...there is someone on these boards I can go to for strength! (And I HAVE gone to many of you...that's how I know.)

If I ever need a man's opinion I have Tommy, Dan, and Avidan just to name a few.

If I feel depressed and lonely there is always someone to cheer me up.

If I need my fibro gang I have at least a handful of ladies to give me a "gentle hug"

If I get a new diagnosis...there is someone here who can relate and teach me what I need to know to begin doing research so I can help myself get better!!

Whatever I am dealing with or working on growing in...there is SOMEONE on these boards there by my side.

How many families can say that?!?!?!

I just love you ALL!!!!

We're a team!

Every team has it's bad days. Sometimes we make mistakes or say/do/post things we regret

Seriously...I think what we have is VERY special. We're a family. That's why folks like Bev and Shelby say they can't stay away (love you Bev! *hugs love you Shelby! *hugs*)

Have you ever noticed that if someone posts for a while and then leaves...many times we ask where they are? We look out for each other!! (And jenny...I noticed you were gone...but you came back right around the time I was gonna post about ya )

Mags whose username is now *Melissa* once called me the IBS cheerleader (striped socks days...remember??)

So let me cheer y'all on now.

The Living Room is great
And we're gonna show ya why
We're some special people
Not your average guys
We've got IBS
And that makes us cool
So we're hanging out together
In our Living Room

GOOOOOOOO LIVING ROOM! ! ! ! !

Ok, so I'm corny!

Seriously. Take what you like and leave the rest. I love this place.

You're my family. And I love ya!

MWAH!!!!! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I believe in PMs all the way new
      #232931 - 12/20/05 03:59 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

actually, i've seen it as a secret way to lend support to someone who's suffering, in my Mom's bard for example. We've secretly sent flowers etc. to moms when they've had a loss through PMS. And yeah, gossip is inevitable, and that is life, but taht would happen through email anyhow. Pms help me actually feel MORE connected to the boards. i would not be as willing to email someone as I would to PM them. maybe the anonymity is nice for me, even though i use my actual picture and hometown....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I just love... new
      #232934 - 12/20/05 04:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

how everyone is being so open and honest here.

This is what makes the LR so great!

No one is being insulting or accusatory. Just loving and downright honest.

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm a painfully honest person!LOL! new
      #232935 - 12/20/05 04:06 PM
_Willow

and yes, it Is great, and very cathartic.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

As my family would say... new
      #232936 - 12/20/05 04:09 PM
_Willow

Aww, you're such a suck!;) And in my family's offbeat, dysfunctional way, that means, you are so sweet and you need to be recognized for it!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Michele, I'm on board with you.... new
      #232939 - 12/20/05 04:19 PM
_Willow

I am a Christian, so the only thing that would really offend me is someone trying to convince me that God doesn't exist, or trying to push their religion on me.I don't push Christianity on anyone, I don't believe that's how it's supposed to work anyhow.
I would also not tolerate anyone being racist or bigoted.(anti-human rights-we're ALL human, you know.)

But anything else is fair game to me.it's just conversation or opinion. I doubt anyone is EVER out to "get" anyone else on this board with their discussions. So maybe I am warped but yes, i'll talk about anything....almost anything!(ok, don't tell me you kill or abuse anyone, i won't be too sympathetic.)

And I'm not too worried about hurting feelings because these are my opinions, and everyone has them...It's up to us to choose not to be freaked out about them.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by SoreTummyMommyAgain! (12/20/05 04:27 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review