All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Support Groups Message Board
      #19716 - 09/05/03 08:44 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Has anyone logged into the Support Groups MB. I just did today and listed my city but am wondering if anyone knows how this board works?

It didn't really seem like there was alot of posting going on there so I wanted to post here too and ask if anyone knew how it worked...

Do you have to wait for a group to start or can you start one at a local hall or community center?

Also - Corrine - would you be interested in attending if they got one in Regina.

Does anyone know about this stuff? Or Heather, Can you help me with this?

Thanks a bunch

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Huh? What are you talking about?----nt---- new
      #19721 - 09/05/03 09:05 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Re: Huh? What are you talking about?----nt---- new
      #19723 - 09/05/03 09:17 AM
Lana_Marie

LOL - OH OH Here I go again Imagining things LOL - Kidding!!

Up at the top of the page it says....

Shop for IBS, IBS Message Boards,IBS News & Reviews and IBS SUPPORT GROUPS.

Just click on that and log in....you might have a group already started for your town.

Once you have done that - my post will make alot more sense LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Duh! My new contacts must not be working! -----nt--- new
      #19739 - 09/05/03 01:00 PM
BL

This is a project we're just pulling together... new
      #19745 - 09/05/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The support group boards are pretty new and they were a separate website so they didn't get much traffic. Now that they're a part of the new big site I think that will change.

Basically, we're trying to have a place where people can come together online and find others in their hometown areas to form support groups with. If there's already a group in your area, it will have its own forum (like the Payson, AZ group). If you don't see a group in your area, you can post your city/state/province, or see if there are already others in your area posting, but not yet in a real life group.

Then, when there are enough people in one regional area to form a group, we'll help them out. We'll send them info on how to start and run a group, and break out a new forum for them so folks just in that group have a way to communicate online. We'll post the meeting times/places, and whatever other info they'd like.

I'm not sure how this will go - hopefully there will be enough people in the same places to make the real life groups a possibility, and having their own forum will help them keep the groups alive.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is a project we're just pulling together... new
      #19747 - 09/05/03 01:38 PM
Lana_Marie

So on average - how many people would you like to see per group. Because I thought it was like a few people get together and trade recipes and talk about how they are feeling and just have friends who share their problems.

Obviously I am just a little off base here LOL. Either that or I am just desperate for friends who have recipes LOL

Thanks,

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#19750 - 09/05/03 01:49 PM
BL

Heather,
When I tried to register, I used my same name and password as on the other boards, and it wouldn't accept my password. Do you have to use a different name and password??? Please explain.

#19754 - 09/05/03 02:15 PM
Lana_Marie

Hey BL: I used my exact same info on both and was able to sign in like that.

It maybe that when you entered your password the second time you made a typo - I would try it again for good measure - and see what's up!!

Good luck

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#19760 - 09/05/03 03:44 PM
BL

I tried it 3 times and it didn't work.

#19847 - 09/07/03 02:51 PM
Will

Reged: 01/25/03
Loc: Seattle, Wa

HI Beaglelover and Lanamarie and everyone else,

The support group boards and the message boards are two completely different boards and you have to register on each one. You should be able to use the same name and password to make things easier.

Heather and I thought there would be some questions on how things work and this whole thing is a work in progress so we are open to ideas.

The goal like Heather said is to help people get together and to take this a little further, I would like to make a quick comment. The support groups could take on many forms and I would think that simplicity can be a good foundation to any new group and I see them forming in the following steps:

1. Someone posts their state and city (in that order) and says in the words of Pink Floyd "is anybody out there".
2. A couple of people reply "oh my god - Yes - I'm out here" and a string forms.
3. A few more people join in and everyone is laughing and bawling and having a good time.
4. The string grows out of control and Heather and I break the string off into its very own forum named after the city and State it is in (maybe a special group name).
5. At this point, everyone can just talk online until the next step occurs.
6. The next step being where someone in the group is a good organizer and finds a place for everyone to meet once a month and lead the meetings. This can be as simple as everyone agreeing to meet at a tea house (coffee shop that serves tea - Starbucks) and just getting together to have a good time. The groups could get larger and meet at a library or hospital maybe having a good local doctor help out. Also, having a get together where a kitchen is available could be a good idea. In this case people could cook together learning from each other and sitting down to eat afterwards. This kind of thing may be a real blessing during the holidays where everyone finally doesn't have to worry about what they can eat and be with friends that understand.
7. Everyone can stay in touch on the support boards between meeting and plan what they will want to do at the next get together.
8. Everyone is laughing and bawling and having a good time.

What do you think?

Will

#19848 - 09/07/03 03:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Are you actually registering as a new member on the other board, and not just trying to log in? You do have to register first, then log in, but you should absolutely be able to use the same log in name, password, and email.

If you can't register for the other board at all, email me the login name and password you'd like and I'll register for you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19851 - 09/07/03 05:03 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Ha! That was too funny! I like your 8-step program! I think it sounds like a good plan.

#19886 - 09/08/03 07:12 AM
Lana_Marie

Too funny Will! Sounds like you got a game plan! LOL

I think it's a great idea - that's what I kinda thought the meetings would be like. It would be lovely to have friends who share and totally understand your dietary issues.

Come On, Regina Peoples, Log IN!!

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review