All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and vulvar vestibulitis
      #15783 - 07/31/03 10:06 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

Is there anyone else with both IBS and VVS? I think there might be a link between the two? I ate Zoloft for the VVS and the result was that the IBS got much better!

Baby awoke, got to go!

Fia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and vulvar vestibulitis new
      #16027 - 08/01/03 03:32 PM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

what exactly is vvs?

#16041 - 08/01/03 07:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I haven't heard of a link between the two, but Zoloft could certainly help your IBS. Anti-depressants can be very effective at reducing symptoms. There's some info about this here web page

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16052 - 08/02/03 08:25 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

Vestibulitis is one particular type of vulvar pain. The term refers to pain is in the “vestibule,” or entrance to the vagina. The vestibule is an oval-shaped area that goes from the back of the vaginal opening to just below the clitoris and includes the vaginal and urethral openings.

Some, but not all, women with vestibulitis experience painful sex (dyspareunia). The pain may be felt only with sexual intercourse, on inserting or tolerating tampons, and/or on sitting. Usually, the pain comes from inflammation in the glands around the opening of the vagina. Many women with vestibulitis experience a deep, boring or piercing pain in the vestibular glands, and sometimes random stabbing pains.
Many women with vulvar pain also have urological symptoms to some degree. They may be as minor as having to get up more frequently during
(source; www.vulvarpainfoundation.org/vpfabout.htm )

"Vulvular Vestibulitis is a subset of vulvodynia that causes inflammation or irritation at specific points in the vulvular vestibulitis (the area that surrounds the opening of the vagina). This pain can be caused by many situations, including touch or pressure caused by insertion of a tampon, intercourse, or tight clothing. In extreme circumstances, it can be difficult for a woman to walk or even sit. Sometimes women who have this condition may find small bumps or sores — the size of a grain of sand — beneath this area of skin.

Some women are diagnosed with one of these (or other similar conditions). Other women are diagnosed with both. While the cause of vulvodynia is unknown, there are a few theories. Some believe that it is caused by allergic reaction to environmental irritants, a hypersensitivity to candida or other bacteria, or high levels of oxalate crystals in the urine. Vulvodynia may be a neurotransmission problem. Pain travels a neuro-pathway much like a path in the woods, which becomes more prominent the more it is traveled. Frequently, problems that cause vulvodynia also lead to a spasm of the pelvic floor muscles. This makes sense, because the pelvic floor muscles is the largest muscle group in the body. A stimulus that causes pain in the vulva can activate a sympathetic spasm in these muscles.

Some women who have these conditions also have irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia (musculoskeletal pain and fatigue disorder), interstitial cystitis (recurring discomfort or pain in the bladder, the urethra, and the surrounding pelvic region), or other autoimmune disorders (when the body can't differentiate between body tissue and the pathogens it needs to attack). There is no cure for vulvodynia, however, there are treatments that work for some women. These include taking antidepressants (which raise the brain's dopamine levels, interfering with the transmission of pain). It's important to note that antidepressants are not prescribed for vulvodynia because of patient depression, but because of how they affect neurotransmission. The dosage is discussed with your health care provider, but is often a lower dose than the therapeutic level to treat depression. Anti-convulsant medication can help raise a person's threshold of pain. Biofeedback (a highly effective treatment that helps relax the pelvic muscles) and monitoring and modifying the diet are other options"
(source; www.alice.columbia.edu/goaskalice/2278.html )

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review