All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NEED HELP
      #108890 - 09/28/04 01:58 PM
Tamstired

Reged: 09/28/04
Loc: Virginia, USA

Okay guys here it is, I am 5'6 103lbs NOT anorexic, love food, cannot seem to eat regularly unless on a narcotic pain releiver or phenergan, anything to stop the loose stools, having this for over 8 yrs, have been to EVERY doctor on earth it seems, every gastronologist this side of virginia and maryland, nothing wrong with my tests and there has been alot. Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cannot eat or drink even water without it going through me? Right now I am on phenergan and if I take a quarter of that with a quarter of dycylomine I seem to function somewhat in a normal way. Otherwise I am tired all the time, sick and extremely low blood pressure (which is usually low anyway) thanks anybody that reads this. Tamstired

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEED HELP new
      #108922 - 09/28/04 06:55 PM
Marna

Reged: 09/28/04

I wish I could help...but although I can't, I think you have come to the right place! After buying Heather's books I feel so much better. It is so common that with IBS you see doctor after doctor, and no one can find anything wrong or tell you what to do to feel better. Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: NEED HELP new
      #108924 - 09/28/04 07:00 PM
ribbit

Reged: 08/26/04
Loc: Longview, TX

Ohhh...poor baby. I completely understand. I am 5'5", 107, and can't keep weight on. I have IBS-A (alternate between diarrhea and constipation, primarily IBS-D) First, have you tried a fiber supplement? If not, buy some Citrucel and start taking one tablet in the morning and one at night (before breakfast and before dinner)...then start on easy to digest, bland foods. Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Also known as the BRAT diet. Peppermint tea is very soothing to the GI tract also. Have you had an endoscopy/ colonoscopy? If not, find a new doctor. They need to do a complete workup before sending you away with the diagnosis of IBS. During my pregnancy most of my D was caused by severe heartburn. Once it was controlled, I dramatically improved. Another thing to try to gain weight, is once you start having more normal stools, try Ensure with your meals. It will add 250-350 calories to your meal. If you are not lactose intolerant, try mixing the Ensure with soy milk (any flavor, it adds fiber, I usually add 1/4 to a 1/2 cup), and some ice cream. Lots of fat and calories to help you gain weight. And, ask to be tested for Celiac disease. It is an allergy to gluten and is not routinely tested for. I am about to have a biopsy to confirm or dispel the diagnosis. My bloodwork was somewhat abnormal.
Hope this helps.

J9

Great info.. new
      #108956 - 09/29/04 12:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...only thing is, if you're super sensitive, then Acacia might be a better bet than Citucel, maybe.

Please hang in there.... new
      #109552 - 10/01/04 11:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

nonstop nausea and diarrhea don't really fit the bill for IBS, even if they haven't found anything else wrong with you. I know it's not a fun propsect, but I'd continue to try and find a doctor who can get to the bottom of this. It may not even be a GI thing, but something else that's an underlying problem and is causing GI symptoms. A good general internist might have some ideas here, since the GI docs aren't coming up with anything.

I would avoid the Citrucel on the chance that the citric acid is making you worse - try Benefiber or Acacia instead. See how some strong hot peppermint, fennel, chamomile, or ginger tea makes you feel - it should help.

The doc who wrote you off as "just IBS" because you were assaulted as a child is wrong. First of all, the link between child abuse and IBS is not clear. Second of all, no matter what the underlying factors that lead to the development of IBS. the disorder itself is a physical disturbance, not psychological, and needs to be treated as such. In other words that guy is a jerk and you need a much better, more sympathetic, and clued-in doctor.

Best of luck,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review