All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Strong midsection- how exactly does it help with IBS?
      #359402 - 06/22/10 03:20 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I've heard from a few places that having strong core muscles will help prevent sudden contractions of digestive muscles and prevent IBS symptoms

How true is this? I'm an 18 year old male, moderately active, and I do strength training at home daily. I do htings like pull ups, push ups, squats, and leg raises.

So, would doing core exercises, like leg raises, reverse crunches, supermans, planks, oblique raises, etc, help with IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I've never heard this... new
      #359460 - 06/24/10 04:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it sounds a little unlikely. The bowel spasms in IBS are literally happening in the bowel itself, which is comprised of smooth muscle tissue. It's a completely different organ and functions independently from your exterior abdominal muscles.

In general, exercise is helpful overall for IBS, so definitely stick with what you're doing. But I've never heard that having strong abdominal muscles will prevent digestive spasms.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've never heard this... new
      #359477 - 06/25/10 02:18 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Thats what I thought, since as far as I know skeletal muscle wouldn't impact smooth muscle

My pediatrician was the first person who told me that. Then my mom started talking about how a yoga teacher said it helps with digestion. Maybe its just general exercise

yoga probably new
      #359501 - 06/27/10 06:53 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

helps with stress which is why it can improve overall IBS symptoms but I doubt toning your core will stop bowel spasms.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Strong midsection- how exactly does it help with IBS? new
      #360374 - 08/16/10 11:20 PM
Kebbie1Cannon

Reged: 08/16/10

Since 1999, I thought I was having "abdominal-muscle spasms, but was really having colon spasms. I think all these "designer fats" (fish oil, flax seed oil & olive oil) which I used in place of butter b/c it was "healthier". So, now I have IBS & it all started 7 years ago when a naturapath got me taking Omega 3's. Before that I had spasms, but no pain. They're supposed to be anti-inflammatory, but my tummy sure got inflamed!
Kebbie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review