All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hi everyone! What kind of Physical Activities do you Do?
      #150529 - 02/15/05 05:25 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

I purchased a treadmill two years ago. I would try to walk with co-workers at lunch, but one of the lady's hurt her knee. I had to do something since I was trying to do WeightWatchers. So, I talked my DH into getting one.

Since my crohn's flare & kidney surgery, I took three months off from my walking. As soon as the doctor gave me the "all clear" sign, then I started walking again. I have a small radio that I listen to when I walk...something to focus on other than the red dots on the display It has taken me a while, but I finally got back up to 3 miles!

This is going to be a fun board!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Lots! new
      #150544 - 02/15/05 06:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm a sucker for yoga of any kind, and in the summer I love long walks. I also used to play basketball, dearly miss it, and would love to find a local adult team that won't boo, hiss, or throw the ball at me if I have plenty of enthusiasm but little talent.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

This is one I'm still working on... new
      #150548 - 02/15/05 06:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Good for you for getting back up to 3 miles!

I hate exercise in any form... always have, always will. So the "activity" part of getting fit is always going to be my biggest challenge.

I'm blessed to live in a really safe, quiet neighborhood, so I walk when the weather's good. That's not all that often in Maine in the winter, so I do a yoga program and I climb stairs in my house, as much as I can. I guess it's a start.

I got a bellydance set of DVDs for Christmas, but I haven't been brave enough to try them yet. I'm so uncoordinated!

I miss it...but... new
      #150551 - 02/15/05 06:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I used to LOVE being fit! I danced, did aerobic dance, ran, and I LOVE volleyball...though I don't love all the bruises I get playing Since the fibro it's been tough (I got a bad knee...wish I had known then about fibro...overdoing it running in ollege). Wish I could play volleyball...that's the truth! For now I am trying to do a bike trainer...you guys just don't let me slack off, ok!

This is excellent...thakns Heather *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hi everyone! What kind of Physical Activities do you Do? new
      #150569 - 02/15/05 07:13 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I've got a yoga book that I used to do all the time, need to get back into, and I just got a belly dancing book I can't wait to start trying! Other than that, I live a 20 minute walk from campus, so when it's not too cold or icky out, I walk to campus and home with my 15 lb laptop bag (unless my bf's with me, then he insists on carrying my bag)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Ayyyyeeee. I'm such a slacker. new
      #150579 - 02/15/05 07:45 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Anything strenuous makes my IBS flare up. Even walking my daughter to school causes problems as there's a slight incline on the way home and I'm pushing a double stroller with 22kg of kids inside.
I really want to start doing yoga but I get embarrassed doing it in the loungroom with the whole family watching me and my healths not good enough atm to go to a class (you always have to pay in advance) but I'm keen to get motivated to do SOMETHING! I'm with you Casey. The hardest part for me is getting moving too.

--------------------
Amy

I walk and bike.. new
      #150625 - 02/16/05 02:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

years ago I was a marathon runner but I injured myself a few too many times... now I bike long distances and walk a lot.. I'd swim if I could find an affordable place to do that...

If I have to bike/walk indoors I like to do it with a book in hand or a tv in front of me set to something fairly mindless...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#150632 - 02/16/05 03:45 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I do yoga at work for an hour once a week, take an hour and a half yoga class at a fitness centre once a week, and try to swim in my building's pool when I can. In the spring and summer I walk A LOT.

I had a gym membership for three years but found that when I wanted to go (after work) it was always so busy. I do miss doing weights though as they are so healthy for women's bones. I don't miss the crazy gym costs though!

I'm pretty new here, but I'd like to join in too new
      #150641 - 02/16/05 05:09 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I do a variety of exercises including weight lifting, elliptical, Pilates, balance ball and a new tape I just got -- salsa dancing. A friend of mine said I was too "stiff" and needed to start dancing. Just hope I can keep up with all the moves. If not, I'll just keep moving.
Cindy

#150708 - 02/16/05 08:12 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I absolutely love physical activity. When I exercise I get fit and when I feel fit I feel awesome!!

I work out with a personal trainer 2-3 times/week and she has me on a circuit of weights as well as intense abdominal exercises. I do 1 hour of cardio everyday as well.

I find that since I've started exercising I've never felt better!!

#150962 - 02/16/05 06:02 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I do pilates 3x a week in the am. Walk for 1/2 an hour afternoon during the week also walk every evening with my husband and dog for 45 mins. Do eliptical every 2nd day for 15 mins as well. I find the more I can do the more I feel better and it keeps my mind occupied instead of thinking about IBS/UC. Sue

#151022 - 02/16/05 08:47 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

I get to the gym 3 times a week for weights, run twice a week about 6 km after work, all of which keeps me fit for sailing. Just did a 68 km marathon sailing race in a high performance sailing dinghy last weekend (damn long way to be hanging out over the side of a boat), came 4th YAY, next day it blew even harder and we would have won it!

didn't know you sailed... new
      #151052 - 02/17/05 04:52 AM
khyricat

I miss sailing, but living in MI there isn't much chance.. I grew up with grandparents who owned a racing yacht that we all got to sail and i taught windsurfing summers in high school and colleges of SC coast.... damn I miss those days on the water.. its the oen thing that might get me to move back south!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#151199 - 02/17/05 09:05 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

I do an hour of Yoga at a class twice a week and go to the gym/swimming when I can be bothered!

I also love walking and can't wait till the dog is old enough to go out so we can have lots of adventures together!

I get land crazy enough... new
      #151201 - 02/17/05 09:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...living an hour from the sea! I'd go nuts living in the midle of the US...kinda makes me feel claustrophobic.

I can't wait to introduce Archie to sailing. My parents' boat is going in the water in 2 1/2 weeks!

Linz- new
      #151268 - 02/17/05 11:09 AM
khyricat

there is a river nearby and I can drop a kayak into it at a moments notice.. I have an ocean kayak, but unless I go near the rapids I am fine in it.. but I can't do it in winter and we have the great lakes not too far and smaller lakes closer...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Sailing new
      #151404 - 02/17/05 04:26 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

I was just thinking that you weren't to far from the lakes in Michigan, we in Australia don't have much in the way of lakes being one of the driest continents. I have sailed since a boy learning in my dads trailer yacht, then have been sailing a Sharpie class boat for about 12 years now. Very fast and exciting, 20-25knots under spinnaker. I have also done some ocean racing in recent years, a 1200 miler to the Solomon Islands, an 800 to Noumea, and some local races up and down the coast. The challenges are different, but i love it all, and its a great healthy thing for kids to learn. Sailing is suffering from lack of support from media and public alike over here at the moment, very dissapointing.
cheers
Ralph

Re: Sailing new
      #151417 - 02/17/05 05:10 PM
khyricat

its not supported as well here in the states either as I wish it was... we have the lakes.. about 3-4 hours to get to the ones that are worth sailing on even with a small boat though, so I don't actually get to sail... but I do get to kayak some, and I try to sail when we get to make a trip somewhere with water and the chance to do it.. but its not as often as I'd like at times... ah well.. we all make choices..its the biggest drawback to living here, but we have so many other positives, including both being employed and his family being nearby....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review