All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I need someones help
      #9901 - 05/25/03 11:59 AM
jessica9610

Reged: 05/04/03
Loc: Central New Jersey

I have been following the diet and i am still having stomach pains and diareaha I need help i can't keep going through this everyday! I eat soluble fiber foods (corn and rice chex, Plain bagels, papaya, mango, progresso soups, pretzels, corn chips, pasta, rice, grahm crackers) and nothing else and i take my fiber supplement every morning. Help! What am i doing wrong everyone seems to get great rezults with this diet why am i still having trouble. I am bloated and gasy and then i have stomach pains and diareaha. i just don't understand it and i wasn't like this everyday when i wasn't on the diet. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need someones help new
      #9905 - 05/25/03 01:26 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Jessica,
I know exactly where you're coming from. Its just so frustrating when you try to eat all the right things to avoid the pain, and yet it still comes, and you still get persistant attacks. Its almost like "well, im gonna eat a cheestake and fries, because no matter what i eat goes right through me" Yeah, i feel that way alot. Have you been to many docs, and been able to elminate other disease and such via test(s)? If alls well and you knowyou have ibs, i would suggest to give the diet time to keep you stable. Also, you may want to go on an antispasmotic or take a calcium supplement. Lastly, try yoga, relaxation techniques and tea (peppermint is my fav) Keep in there and dont let the pain control you... remeber, you can handle this!
I wish you the very best

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9907 - 05/25/03 01:51 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi
I'm sorry to hear that you are suffereing so much. I know how you feel! I spent the whole fall last year in the same situation, and it was so frustrating, i missed school and work, and felt like I couldn't have much of a social life. I have had IBS for over four years, but last fall was a particularly bad flare up. And then I found Heather's book and started to follow her diet and exercise suggestions. Everything changed very quickly for me, because for years I had been eating tons of whole wheat bread and salads on an empty stomache, thinking it was a good way to get fibre! But her book taught me about the differences between soluble and insoluble fibre. I started eating larger amounts of fibre than i had before, every day as she suggests. So after months of suffering the diarhea, cramping, pain etc, it still took awhile for my system to smooth out. For months, I kept a food diary, and based on fibre counts on packaged foods, online fibre charts, and from a book I have, I made sure that i ate over 20g of fibre every day.

I had read about how exercise helps digestion and IBS, but had never really applied it longterm. So last fall I started to exercise, regularly: walks, yoga, weighlifting, biking, at least some kind of movement every day to get my spirits up and to condition my stomache muscles and improve my overall body health and stamina. It helped, and it still does, now that I am more stable, I only exercise every second day, but would like to do more now that it is summer and I can hike. Now that I am more stable, i still get attacks, every two weeks or so, and usually around my period. But i find that they only last an hour, and the next day i usually feel okay again. I still have some pain, and cant eat very big meals without feeling too full, so I continue to enjoy snacking all through the day. I have found that when i can afford to pay for it, that the accupuncture has really helped with the pain. I definitely recommend it for all ibs symptoms, as an addition to a good diet and exercise etc. I still get crazy amounts of gas, and will have to try the fennel tea for that. Also my TCM Chinese doctor gave me a herbal remedy to help with gas, to improve the organs functioning, so that food is digested properly to avoid gas. I have only just started it so am not sure of the results yet.

Meanwhile, I have lived on peppermint tea and chamomile to help with gas, and to calm my tummy. I even drink it with my meals, especially when I go out to eat, or am eating socially. I count how many glasses of water I drink, always striving to have at least eight per day. What I also realized, is that I have not been eating enough protein for many years. So I started to make sure that I ate beans, tofu dogs, chicken, fish, etc at least once or twice a day. I also found that the calcium supplements taken every day help slow the gut down, and reduce diarhea.

Anyhow, all this helped and within a few weeks, I started to feel better more often, and felt yucky less often than before. I didn't miss any work this spring, which is good! During January, I visited a gastroenterologist and a doctor, and after some blood tests, we determined that I had a vitamin b12 deficiency. This b12 deficiency can cause difficulties with digestion, as this vitamin is vital in the digesting of fats and carbohydrates. People who are vegan, or the elderly often suffer from this deficiency. Some of the population though, no matter how much eggs, meat, fish they eat (all high in B12), do not have the ability to absorb the vitamin from their food, becasue their stomache is unable to absorb it for some reason. Anyhow, once I started to take sublingual b12 pills at a high dose every day, i started to notice an improvement in my digestion of fats. Less diarhea etc. Any how, you might want to get this checked out, cuz from the diet that you describe, it doesn't appear that you are getting much protein and b12. Just a thought. I have a series of tests this upcoming month to figure out whether I am missing the intrinsic factor to absorb b12, or whether I simply hadn't eaten enough b12 rich foods in the last few years.
In the meantime, i have had all the other tests too, to make sure i don't have chrohn's, cancer, etc. I have one more tomorrow, and then I'll know for sure. Have you had all the tests yet? It's good to rule other more dangerous diseases out. I hope this helps. You are not alone!

I wish you all the luck and patience and peace of mind and gut that you need to get you through this next while.
Take Care,
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#9912 - 05/25/03 04:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I hear your frustration and I am so sorry. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Are you peeling the mangoes? Have you tried baking them a little bit with a bit of brown sugar on top? That may help.
I can't figure out either why you're still having so much "D". Eating bland like that should stabilize you. I'm wondering if you have been tested for celiac disease. If you need more info try celiac.com (celiac is a gluten intolerance). It is possible to get a negative on your test and still have celiac.
Another thing, have you been to your doc to rule out other things like Crohn's, Cholitis, etc. as a lot of things can mimic the symptoms of IBS. I think it's time to see the doc. You should not be feeling this way.
Fennel tea does wonders for bloating and gas. I find peppermint tea extremely helpful and eases the pain of a brutal attack. Try drinking several cups a day if you can.
Let us know how you're doing. Call your doc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: We need more opinions! Help! new
      #9945 - 05/26/03 04:13 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

What is in the progresso soups? Anyway, I'm hoping that Heather or some of our other board experts will have suggestsions. It really sounds like Celiac to me. Ruchie - where are you? Any insight?

--------------------

Re: RUCHIE - does this seem like Celiac to you? -nt- new
      #9946 - 05/26/03 04:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

--------------------

#9947 - 05/26/03 04:54 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Jessica - have you been tested by an allergist for food allergies? What kind of Progresso soups do you eat? and what is in the graham crackers? You really have to read every little ingredient on products to stabilize yourself. You should keep a diary of everything you EAT and DRINK and start with only one food and then gradually start adding foods. My best to you.

#10114 - 05/28/03 05:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jessica,

I'm so sorry--I was out of town and this is the first time I've seen this message! WOW--you are trying SO HARD and it's getting not getting you far--but it won't stay this way forever!!!

It definately may be Celiac. I would check out some webcites (start with celiac.com, gluten.org, and delphiumforums.com). Do some research. If it sounds like it may be a possibility for you, speak to your doc about getting the right tests done OR simply eliminate gluten from your diet and see how you feel. You can also try digestive enzymes and see if this helps as a first step before eliminating gluten and see how that goes for you. If you have any questions, we're here for you!

((((hugs))))

Ruchie

P.S. FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10131 - 05/28/03 09:41 AM
Thor

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Cold Lake, Alaska

IBS totally sucks eh?

For me, my trigger foods include anything made with corn. So you might want to try avoiding that. And I'm not sure why... but bagels as well. I think some recipes are made with milk ingredients.

My comfort food when it acts up is chinese congee. But instead of the meat version, I just make it with some cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. Sprinkle a bit of psyllium on top to keep things moving. And definitely peppermint tea helps.

Be well

Thor

#10138 - 05/28/03 10:49 AM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

hi jessica, i can totally go through this one with you i am in exactly the same boat i am now waiting for my test dates to come through from the hospital to have all those tests done that everyones suggesting. I too have tried all the stuff in the books for two weeks now and theres been no change - i dont eat fat foods anyway but i have changed the way i am eating and introduced the soluble fiber first theory and i dont seem to be getting anywhere!! I am going to look up those websites about celiac because someone else told me to look that up aswell. anyway you can contat me by email jen_h24@yahoo.co.uk and maybe we can help each other through this little bad spot!! we will get through it i promise!! (am i trying to convince myself lol) keep your chin up hun!!
jen

#10144 - 05/28/03 01:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jessica - I agree with the suggestions you're getting from posters - it really does sound like you've got something going other than (or in addition to) IBS, such as celiac or a food allergy (to wheat, corn, etc.).

Try to get your soluble fiber from rice and the supplements for a while. Rice is a very unlikely allergen (though it can be - it's just rare) and it will get you the soluble fiber you'd need for IBS. Check for posts on the board about celiac and gluten-free diets - there have been a lot to Ruchie, as she's dealing with this. And definitely go back to your doc and ask about tests for gluten intolerance and food allergies.

Try drinking strong hot fennel tea in the meantime - it will help with the bloating and gassiness.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10151 - 05/28/03 01:55 PM
Joanna

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Hi!

I'm brand new to this forum and don't know anything yet, except what I've been able to figure out in the last ten years with TONS of trial and error! I've ordered Heather's book and am looking forward to reading it -- I can add it to my library, which must contain at least fifteen others on diet -- everything ranging from Eat Right 4 Your Type to the Zone to the Hays diet to Gluten free cookbooks to Dr. Atkins latest.

There are some things I've noticed cruising this board:

1. My problem is not as serious as a lot of people here, and for that I'm grateful and sympathetic (although it seems to be getting worse, which is what led me here).

2. A LOT of people seem still to have a problem with bloating and gas, even though they're following the diet. The only thing I'm absolutely SURE of with all the trial and error I've been through is that I really can't handle wheat, or any of its relatives. I don't have celiac disease or divertiulosis, or Crohn's -- I've had all the tests, but I know for sure that as soon as I start eating wheat I start having real problems. And if I keep on eating it I get pretty miserable.

I know I can't really offer advice at this stage, but I would say that if you're doing everything right and you are still miserable and bloated, stop eating all wheat products for a week or so and see what happens. Can't hurt.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here, and hope that I can finally sort myself out!

Joanna

Welcome to the board! new
      #10152 - 05/28/03 03:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hope you're feeling better soon and that you find good info here. You're right, bloating and gas do seem to be the toughest symptoms to address. If you haven't yet, try drinking strong hot fennel tea throughout the day - it's one of the very best things for bloating.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10153 - 05/28/03 04:30 PM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Joanna,

Welcome! We sound so much alike. I cannot tolerate any wheat products either. I've also had all kinds of tests run and they found nothing, so they said it was IBS. I've suffered with it for years, but didn't know that was what I had. The doctors I went to years again said it was a nervous stomach, but I know now after reading Heather's books and reading posts on the IBS message board, it's been IBS all along. You'll learn lots from her books and from everyone on the boards.

Good luck
Joy

#10185 - 05/28/03 08:05 PM

Unregistered

Jessica, I feel exactly the same way - your not the only one out there. Hang in!! I know how hard it is - I myself strictly follow my diet, but yet D always seems to find its way in and I never know why! I also know how especially hard it is to be young (I'm 22) and have IBS - none of my friends really understand and it is extremely embarrasing - as I'm sure it is at any age. I agree with everyone else about the exercise and yoga - I'm about to try it myself. Might as well give it a shot, right?! Try not to stress too much about it - I know easier said than done - I want to gouge peoples eyes out when they say that, and you know they are always the ones who don't have IBS and have no problems!! I hope you feel better soon! Hang in there! : )

Shauna

#10330 - 05/31/03 05:27 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Kris,

I ordered sublingual B12 vitamins, but haven't tried them yet as I have been on anitbiotics for a step infection and since the antibiotics usually hurt my stomach, I've been afraid to try the B12 since I didn't know what they would do to my stomach. I do feel better knowing that you like them and they haven't hurt you so far. Do you have more energy? Have you been sick at your stomach at all since taking them? How much do you take each day? I know you said a high dosage, but just wondering how much that is? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Hope you're having a good day,
Joy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3292

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review