All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to Board.. lots of questions
      #9797 - 05/23/03 12:35 PM
IamPat

Reged: 05/21/03
Loc: Brampton, ON Canada

Hi all, I have just been diagnosed with IBS -C last week. I have had it since I was about 16. I've found that this website has provided more info. than my doctor. I am afraid to eat anything other than bland food (white bread, rice or pasta). I've been taking 3t of Metamucil daily. I've noticed that most on the board use Citrucel. Is that one better? Because the Metamucil is advertised as a laxative I chose to try that. It doesn't always help. Also, other than herbal teas are there any other hot drinks I can have? I am used to drinking 2 cups of coffee a day (I'm definitely hooked!). I realize that this is a huge trigger so I have been trying to give it up. Coffee has almost been a "comfort food" for me and herbal teas don't have that effect (I've never been much of a tea drinker). Is hot cocoa with soy milk okay?
As far as relief for constipation, what can I try?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to Board.. lots of questions new
      #9801 - 05/23/03 12:58 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi and welcome to the board!

You certainly don't need to eat bland foods exclusively. Check the recipe board for really good IBS safe recipes.

A lot of people on the boards use Citrucel because it is available where they live. I notice that you live in Canada. Us Canadians can't find Citrucel anywhere! How annoying. Metamucil works the same as Citrucel. It is not just for constipation. It relieves BOTH diarrhea and constipation. How much are you taking? Your post said 3T. Try a lower dose and gradually work your way up. This might help some. Another idea to help with constipation is fennel tea because so many folks with C also suffer from gas and bloating and this works great. Also, try exercise (Yoga works wonders) and drink lots of water throughout the day.

As for other drinks other than coffee...not sure here. I LOVE tea and drink buckets of herbal tea all day long... Maybe someone else can help you out here.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Lorna

#9802 - 05/23/03 01:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Lorna gave you good advice. For dosage info for Metamucil, check here web page

All soluble fiber supplements (like Metamucil, Citrucel, etc.) work for both constipation and diarrhea, but often people don't take enough of them. Increase your dosage gradually, drink LOTS of water all day long. Do try the fennel tea. And try to eliminate coffee altogether - it is a huge trigger and can definitely worsen constipation in IBS.

Exercise is also very helpful - try to be active every day. It will work the muscles of your colon and help alleviate constipation.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9809 - 05/23/03 02:03 PM
IamPat

Thanks! I'll check the recipe board for new recipe ideas. As for the coffee. I have a feeling that I'll just have to get used to the tea. Is any one better than another? I've heard peppermint and fennel are good. How about chamomille?

#9811 - 05/23/03 02:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Chamomile is good too. Anise, oregano, ginger, and caraway are other herbs that make very helpful teas for IBS. Actually, almost any herbal tea is likely to be a digestive aid.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9824 - 05/23/03 04:32 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

We were just talking about coffee and caffeine withdrawal a few days ago. Here's a link to the discussion web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#9829 - 05/23/03 05:53 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

There is also a coffee substitute that is SO much like coffee, it's hard to tell the difference. It's roasted soy, you use it just like any other ground coffee. Rocamojo is the name and you can go to their website to find locations that sell it. Rocamojo

#9950 - 05/26/03 06:12 AM
IamPat

That Rocamojo sounds wonderful! Thanks to everybody for your help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2881 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1111

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review