All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about rice flour and bread...
      #9753 - 05/23/03 05:17 AM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

Like some folks are "chocoholics", I am a confessed "breadaholic",lol... I'm totally addicted to bread (and I wonder why I'm so constipated,duh ) I can't handle whole wheat breads, so what can I do except give up bread? And I just can't hardly do it. Anyway, I wonder if the rice flour would make any sort of difference. Does anyone else here use rice flour and does anyone else have problems with bread? I switched from white bread to french bread, but see no difference. Thanks for the help...

Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about rice flour and bread... new
      #9788 - 05/23/03 11:04 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Meg - White bread (and French bread is just a variety of white bread) should actually help constipation, not hurt it. It's a source of soluble fiber, which normalizes bowel function.

You can buy breads that are gluten-free, which are made with flours other than wheat, but you have to read ingredients carefully as they can contain a lot of insoluble fiber, dairy, or fat.

You can't just use rice flour to substitute for wheat flour in baking - it won't work, as rice has no gluten. There have been quite a few posts on gluten free diets and cooking - try a board search (for both the diet and recipe boards).

One of the best things to do for constipation is to use white breads as a soluble fiber base that will let you add insoluble fiber without risking IBS flares. Try topping toasted white breads with some finely diced fresh veggies, stewed fresh fruits, or having a big slice with a bowl of pureed veggie soup. The more insoluble fiber you can eat the better, but you have to do so carefully. Soluble fiber will allow that.

Here's info on the two fibers web page and web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9798 - 05/23/03 12:39 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

Thanks Heather!

I LOVE bread, but I've heard so much bad on it and how constipating it can be. Someone said that it turns into a big dough ball in our bowel, yuk... But I feel as if I've not eaten a whole meal without it. I have such bad constipation and am trying to help myself, but it seems that nothing I am doing is helping. I do thank you for your suggestions, they really sound yummy and make me feel MUCH better about eating my bread

Thanks again,
Meg

#9858 - 05/24/03 05:45 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I personally don't like rice flour bread, so I stick with sourdough and french bread and buy it fresh. If you have a bread machine you can also make it in there.
I use rice flour for muffins and some cookie recipes I bake. A few days ago I posted a rice muffin recipe. Rice flour has a gritty taste to it, so it doesn't always work as a good subst.
Hope this helps.
Barbara

#9860 - 05/24/03 06:29 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I love rice flour!!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9909 - 05/25/03 02:10 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi Meg
I am also a bread addict! I am trying to limit my self to two pieces per day now. I suffer from ibs-d, and i find that if i eat tons of white bread, it makes it harder to go in the morning. So although it is soluble fibre, it may affect your ibs-c differently than the next person. Anyhow, what I also use for baking, is oat flour, for muffins, pancakes and cookies. It's sold in bulk at the health food store, or you can also make it yourself by grinding up oats in a blender or food processer, to make a flour. I have a recipe book at home that has recipes for bread made from oats and white flour, maybe some such combo would help you?! Also, I usually use combinations of white flour, brown rice flour and oat flour when I am baking, since the rice flour alone is an acquired taste when used on its own in baking.

Anyhow, I hope this helps and you can find some variety. By the way, I tried spelt bread, thinking it would be good/safe, and found that it makes me feel as bad as wholewheat bread does. Cuz light and whole spelt flour both contain lots of insoluble fibre. I love the taste of it, and can't stop eating it (the bread addict in me), so inevitabley it leads to an attack. So I don't buy it anymore, and wouldn't recommend it!
Take care,
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1815 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1060

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review