All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Glutamine is a wonderful tool...
      #9728 - 05/22/03 07:51 PM
bodycreator

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi, I'm new here. I am a personal trainer in Canada. I was told I had IBS 2 years ago. I have had a horrible time trying to control this condition and I eat very well on the whole. I recently went back to using glutamine as a supplement in my program and WHAM! my IBS has gotten remarkably better and has been so for over 5 weeks. That is a record by about 3 weeks for me. Because we tend to lose so many nutrients and amino acids with this condition, we lose the ability to rebuild the muscles effectively, including the colon. I can't believe I didn't make the association before! I take a teaspoon twice a day with juice or water on an empty stomach. There is actually quite a bit of info and studies involving Glutamine. I don't know why it isn't more common knowledge. I also supplement with B-Complex with added B-12. I eat bran cereal with Phsyllium in the morning and 1 metamucil at night. I am regular again, I have minimal to no gas and bloating and no cramps at all

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Could you post info? new
      #9731 - 05/22/03 08:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and references to the study? Is there any direct evidence that glutamine would help IBS?

Just fyi, if you are prone to bloating (though it sounds like you're doing fine, which is great) psyllium is more likely to cause this than other soluble fiber supplements. And bran can be a big IBS trigger because it's so high in insoluble fiber. If you're tolerating it, that's great.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Glutamine is a wonderful tool... new
      #9732 - 05/22/03 08:34 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Is that effective for all IBS? I have diahhrea prominent. Would it work for that? And where do you get it?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Re: Glutamine is a wonderful tool...I agree new
      #9812 - 05/23/03 02:10 PM
Galwae

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

To answer Heather's question about the L-Glutamine, I had a naturopath recommend L-Glutamine to me for my IBS a couple of years ago and just last week my gastroenterologist re-affirmed L-Glutamine's benefit to the tummy. He said it's especially beneficial for folks who have diarrhea. I only use it when I have a flare and I always feel better.

Re: Glutamine is a wonderful tool...I agree new
      #9815 - 05/23/03 02:31 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Is that available at health food stores and such? I have D based and would LOVE to control it better. There are days (as I'm sure you all know) where I am afraid to go out or if I do I am panicky and worried which sure doesn't help. What dosage do you take?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review