Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
problems with gluten-free products
      #9692 - 05/22/03 12:38 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,

I gather that the gluten-free products in the US are different from the ones we can get here in Europe, but do you also find that gluten free products are a bit tricky sometimes? The problem is they don't tell you the fiber content on the packet, possibly because they don't expect people with celiac to have any problems with fiber. I tried out this lovely gluten-free corn bread for a while, it gives me a small amount of bloating. But it doesn't look like wholemeal bread, but corn is yellow,isn't it, so maybe you can't judge it from its appearance??

Anyway now I've recently discovered a very bland and very white gluten free bread which I can eat without any problems. So I got brave and yesterday I solemnly ate three forkfulls of gluten free spagetti - they were absolutely delicious (after one year of just rice) BUT later in the afternoon I got bad bloating (and I'm normally more or less bloating free with my diet). Again too much insoluble fiber? Again they were very light and didn't look at all like wholemeal. The ingredients are as follows:
maize starch
maize flour
rice flour
pea proteine isolate

Could the latter be the culprit? What IS pea proteine isolate?? Any ideas?

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: problems with gluten-free products new
      #9693 - 05/22/03 01:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - My guess is that it was the pea protein isolate. This might actually be soy. This type of thing can cause gas or bloating, especially if you're not used to it. If you had just a minor reaction, I'd keep eating small amounts as the odds are good you will adjust and no longer have problems. This is generally true for most bean products, including soy.

One thing I've noticed with gluten-free products in the US is that they can be high fat, so watch for that. For the insoluble fiber, though, the odds are fairly good that wouldn't be a problem, simply because wheat bran is automatically not a factor. And rice, corn, and other gluten-free grains/cereals used in breads and other powdered mixes are already very finely milled, making them IBS-safe.

It may just be that you're adding new foods after being on a very strictly limited diet for a while. Take things slowly and gradually and see if you adjust to the new products in small amounts, while keeping the bulk of your diet as you have. I'd guess you'll be able to increase the new foods and expand your diet with minimal problems this way.

Also, since bloating seems to be the main reaction, try drinking hot fennel tea with the new foods and throughout the day. This should help.

Got my fingers crossed for you,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review