All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong, but .... new
      #98052 - 08/13/04 11:46 AM
Charlotte

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX

Dear beaglelover: All I know is that my doctor said MOM was safe to use every day as it does not contain any stimulants. I don't need to take it every day but when I'm constipated MOM works faster than anything else - so I don't have to suffer from severe constipation, bloating and pain. Of course just because I need 2 TBS doesn't mean you would need to take the same dosage to get the results.

Perhaps Heather might find time to help us determine whether this is harmful or not. :confused:

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep - it's not safe, and it can cause bowel addiction new
      #98059 - 08/13/04 12:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The more you use a laxative (any laxative - stimulant, osmotic, whatever), the more your bowel will come to rely on the laxative. Use it too often, and your bowel won't function - at all - without it. Reach that point and it is very, very difficult to wean yourself off a laxative and get your bowel to start functioning again on its own.

I'd personally find a new doc - this isn't some new discovery, and he should be well aware of the risks. It's a much better idea to try and gradually add a soluble fiber supplement, working up to 12-15 grams a day (or even higher if you need to), with lots of water and physical activity (this is essential), as much insoluble fiber as you can tolerate, and using something like Miralax (probably the safest laxative currently available) if you truly need to, but only in the smallest and least freqent dose necessary.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Calling All IBS-C People/mineral oil new
      #98101 - 08/13/04 01:28 PM

Unregistered

Hi Heather

I feel bad for you that you have to suffer like this just to try and stabilize your system.

I've tried something called Kondremul which is contains
mineral oil in it and it has sort of a vanilla-type taste. I took 5 Tblspns. of it and it still didn't help me.

I am going to lick this problem once and for ALL!!!

Re: I am IBS-C -nt- new
      #98102 - 08/13/04 01:30 PM

Unregistered

Hi Davina

Nice to meet you, my fellow IBS-Ced one. Wish it could be under better circumstances.

Re: Calling All IBS-C People new
      #98107 - 08/13/04 01:36 PM

Unregistered

Hi carey28 I TOO have taken MOM for my C. It helps overnight and feels soooo great to go in the morning but the problem is that 2 days later the horrible feeling is back once again and so of course is the need to take MOM once again. It's a vicious cycle, and one that I am determined to break out of once and for all!!!

Re: Calling All IBS-C People/mineral oil new
      #98109 - 08/13/04 01:38 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

My Doctor has told me to stop taking it because I was not reacting well to it. It is supposed to be the most gently and safe thing you can take. It worked I went with in 6hours of taking it but my tummy hated it. Lucky me It was in the lax isle at the store. It was colorless, taste less, and pure mineral oil. I just wish my tummy liked it.
God Bless
Heather7476

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Re: Hey Marilyn, I am a TOTAL IDIOT !!! new
      #98110 - 08/13/04 01:41 PM

Unregistered

Hi Gayla

You'll probably read this when you come back from vacation. I Hope you have/had a fabulous time!

Believe it or not, there's actually a few things that I haven't tried yet and Acidophilus is just one of them, I guess.

So glad you're feeling better!!!

Looking forward to talking to you soon...

Re: Calling All IBS-C People/Milk of Magnesia IT WORKS new
      #98113 - 08/13/04 01:49 PM

Unregistered

Hi Charlotte I use MOM myself whenever I can't stand the feeling of carrying around a rock anymore. The problem is that in 2 days or so the rock is back and sometimes it feels like twins. After doing lots of research myself (and especially seeing what Heather had to say) I'm sorry to say that I don't agree with what your doctor about the ongoing use of MOM for us, and I am worried that your system will find this out before too long. How I WISH that we could take it without fear for our systems! Anyway, I think I have come to a decision as to what I am going to do. I'll let you all know in a brand new note, ok?

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong, but ....
      #98115 - 08/13/04 01:56 PM

Unregistered

Hi beaglelover It is my opinion that you did a very good thing by leaving that GI as quick as you could. As I said before, I now believe that depending upon laxatives is NOT the way to get a handle on our C, as they can definitely make us dependent upon them.

I believe that I have found a solution for myself, and anyone else here who is interested in trying this, which I will tell you about in a separate posting.

Re: Yep - it's not safe, and it can cause bowel addiction
      #98118 - 08/13/04 02:02 PM

Unregistered

Hi Heather Thank you so much for your validation regarding laxatives. I've reseached it on the net and of course would not quesion your expertise when it comes to this. I am finding myself at the point where I can no longer tolerate my ongoing C and so I've decided to attack it once and for all. You may find yourself disagreeing with the method I have chosen, but for now I feel strong in my conviction to try it.

I appreciate everything you continue to do for us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 201129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review