Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone drink raw vegetable juices?
      #959 - 02/16/03 12:02 PM
rachelle

Reged: 01/29/03

I can't tolerate any vegetables either cooked nor raw. Actually
I can't tolerate much of anything. Only cooked squash and
potatoes (without skin) are sort of tolerable. (I have IBS-C for over 35 years). It is only the last 2 years that things have gotten this bad. I am worried about my nutrition so I was
wondering if anyone tried juicing since the fiber is removed.

thanks for listening. This board has been so helpful. Now
I feel that I am not alone! Thanks Heather for setting it up.
rachelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone drink raw vegetable juices? new
      #986 - 02/17/03 06:50 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I"m not sure about veggy juices but fruit juices can be as dangerous as the real thing. ie. apple and orange juice
can be very difficult to digest. I am guessing veggy juices are also questionable. If they are tomato based, tomatoes are very acidic and should be eaten carefully - so if it is tomato based, try it at the end of a safe meal in a very small portion. And remember, some people can tolerate lots of veggies, and some can tolerate less. It depends. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I've noticed a huge difference with fresh juices vs. bottled new
      #992 - 02/17/03 10:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Normally, a big glass of any kind of juice on an empty stomach would panic me, so I'd avoid it. But I heard from a number of people who had home juicers, and were able to drink just about any kind of fresh fruit or veggie juice. If they had that exact same type of juice bottled, they got sick. My husband is a fresh juice fanatic and he had been suggesting for some time that I try a little of his fresh juices - he won't even drink anything bottled at this point.

So, I've played around with fresh apple juice (it's green!) and some oddball beet, apple ginger combinations, and I have never had a problem. I KNOW that bottled apple juice kills me - why there is such a huge difference with fresh, I really don't know. I've wondered if maybe as the fruit juice oxidizes (which is why bottled apple juice is brown, and no longer green) the fructose level might rise or something.

You might find a good local juice bar and try some fresh juices to see how you do, and if things work out you can then invest in a good home juicer. Let us know what happens!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've noticed a huge difference with fresh juices vs. bottled new
      #1018 - 02/17/03 11:23 PM
rachelle

Reged: 01/29/03

Heather thanks for the reply. I will try some raw juices.
I read that since bottled juices are cooked/pasterized
they become very acidic because they are cooked and thus
cause alot of digestive problems whereas raw juices are
alkaline.

Re: I've noticed a huge difference with fresh juices vs. bottled new
      #298130 - 01/26/07 06:27 AM
SeaDragon

Reged: 12/06/06
Loc: Indiana

Having read a number of juicer posts here I have another question. In looking at my juicer it would appear that IF will come through the screen if chopped fine enough, should following the juicer with a filtration step (coffee filter?) help remove IF? Has anyone tried this? My daughter has IBS and is currently very restricted on diet.

Re: Does anyone drink raw vegetable juices? new
      #298152 - 01/26/07 11:28 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I used to drink a glass of raw veggie juice every morning but have not done that in some time. After I stopped for a while I drank some again and do not remember it doing great (but nothing horrible either). I stuck to carrots, cucumber, spinach, celery and I believe some raddishes. I never did fruits.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1511

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review