All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Drinking through a straw = gas?
      #9588 - 05/21/03 09:38 AM
Bobbi

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: London, England

I'm wondering if the fact that I drink through a straw (for my sensitive teeth & the fact I don't want my teeth to turn brown from all the peppermint tea I drink) is causing gas. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm finding that the peppermint tea doesn't actually settle my stomach at all and I think it might be because of how I'm consuming it. Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking through a straw = gas? new
      #9591 - 05/21/03 10:05 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I thought drinking through a straw causes you to swallow more air sounded familiar (which in turn causes gas), so I found this on a quick search. web page

#9600 - 05/21/03 11:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If peppermint is bothering your stomach (it affects some people who are prone to reflux or heartburn) try fennel or chamomile instead. They won't stain your teeth either (actually, neither will peppermint - it's the tannin in regular tea that can stain teeth, and the herbal teas have no "real" tea and thus no tannins).

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9607 - 05/21/03 02:06 PM
Bobbi

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: London, England

Heather & Mags,

Thanks for your responses. I'm so glad that herbal tea won't stain your teeth....yeah! Now I don't have to drink through a straw.

I was doing some research on swallowing too much air and read that people who have more bubbles in their saliva actually produce excess air & therefore swallow more air....causing the gas. I had an endoscopy done a few years ago for my sinus problems (apparently my sinus drip is partially to blame?) and it showed a ton of bubbles in my saliva which the ENT doctor never saw before. I guess I can't do much about that, but I will refrain from drinking from a straw.

Thanks for your help!

Bobbi

#9622 - 05/21/03 03:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Since you're prone to this, avoid chewing gum and carbonated beverages too.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1518

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review