Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Onions and GI distress
      #9534 - 05/20/03 06:44 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi Heather and Everyone!
Just checking in about a couple food groups. I have found problems with onions in the past, especially raw onions. My mom was telling me that onions have some ingredient that invigorate the GI tract, and can cause diarhea almost right away in sensitive guts. Is this true medically/nutritionally? I find that a bit of green onion, well cooked, is alright. But any more and I am in trouble, at least part of the time. If onion does carry this risk, then is there also a problem with Pacific Organic fat free chicken stock, the onion ingredient being a trigger,even more so because it is liquified and easily absorbed into the GI Tract?

Thanks for your help
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Onions and GI distress new
      #9538 - 05/20/03 08:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kris - Onions and other members of the lily family (garlic, shallots, leeks) contain sulfur, which produces gas in the GI tract and can thus trigger attacks. They're also high in insoluble fiber.

Cooking these foods really reduces their sulfur content (the heat vaporizes it) and also makes their insoluble fiber much more tolerable. So having onions cooked, in a soluble fiber basis, is tolerable for many IBS folks.

As an ingredient in the chicken stock it should be okay, as it's certainly well-cooked with the stock, especially if you're using that stock with some soluble fiber foods. But if you know that you are hyper-sensitive to onions (and some folks are) then be extra cautious.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Tomatoes.. new
      #9613 - 05/21/03 03:33 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Isn't tomatoes another fruit (or vegetable) that triggers the GI tract? I ate something today with tomatoes and i picked most of the tomatoes out but ate a few and my throat was burning.

Re: Tomatoes.. new
      #9615 - 05/21/03 03:40 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Tomatoes are horrible for heartburn, I try to avoid them as much as possible!

#9616 - 05/21/03 03:43 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I put tomato sauce on pasta, but only pure tomato sauce (no oil, extra spices, cheese or added fat) I also put a tsp of sugar in it to help neutralize the acid a bit.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9620 - 05/21/03 03:53 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Interesting, never heard of suger to neutralize tomatoes, must try it!

#9621 - 05/21/03 03:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Raw tomatoes can be a trigger because of their insoluble fiber, but pureeing them can really help minimize the risk. Cooked tomatoes are acidic, and that can trigger GI problems (especially upper, like heartburn) but cooking the tomatoes with a bit of sugar helps neutralize the acid. You probably don't need to eliminate all tomatoes from your diet - at the least try eating small amounts of finely chopped raw tomatoes in a low fat high soluble fiber base and see how you do. Tomatoes are high in lycopene, which helps prevent cancer.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9624 - 05/21/03 04:05 PM
ConcreteAngel

yeah, its weird isnt it? Heather says it here. web page

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Onions and GI distress new
      #9625 - 05/21/03 04:10 PM
ConcreteAngel

I hate onions so luckily i dont have to worry about eating them. My dad eats raw onions right out of the refridgerator like a reg. apple! Yuck!!! No wonder he has heartburn.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9667 - 05/22/03 08:47 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

If I use raw tomatoes in something, like Guacamole, I always remove the seeds and if the skin is tough I peel them too. I chop them up into small pieces and enjoy. I grew up eating tomatoes like a side dish. My Grandmother & Great-Aunt used to peel them and slice them fresh from the garden. When I first started eliminating triggers tomoates were the second to go. I just recently started adding them without the seeds and in small quantities and have been very happy to have a fave back at the table.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review