Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Struggling with Fiber new
      #95238 - 08/03/04 01:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

How much did you take? I'm guessing you took too much as a starting dose - you have to start really small and gradually make your way up. Btw, Acacia seems to be more gentle than most other SFSs.

I had trouble with Citrucel too... new
      #95262 - 08/03/04 06:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Even in an incredibly tiny dose (I started out taking 1/4 tsp of the powder in water - seriously!), the Citrucel gave me cramps, bloating (which I NEVER get) and sometimes D. Some bodies just can't tolerate certain supplements.

I haven't tried the other fibers you've mentioned, but when I had problems with the Citrucel, I decided to try FiberChoice chewable tablets. I initially tried them because I could buy a "trial-size" tube first and see if I had the same reaction (don't you wish EVERY supplement was available in a cheap trial size?!). As it turns out, FiberChoice works well for me and I've stuck with it. I'll warn you, though, that it's one of those supplements (like psyllium) that a lot of people have problems with... it can be gas-forming. I haven't had that problem. Like I said, bodies process supplements differently... you might just need to experiment with a few more to find your perfect one. (And start small, and increase slowly!)

I've heard that Heather's Acacia is a lot more gentle. You'll still have to start out at a tiny dose, but I think it works better for a lot of people because it's natural, and you can mix it into food if you prefer.

Good luck!

Acaia... new
      #95280 - 08/03/04 08:14 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

did not work for me. So if you do try it and you still have problems (give it a few days), my suggestion would then be Benefiber. That's the only one that I can tolerate. As it's been stated by someone else though, start with very small doses and gradually work your way up.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Acaia.../BeckyT new
      #95561 - 08/04/04 01:03 PM
Mary Ann

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

How long did you try Acaia?? Do you have IBS c or D? How much Acaia did you take per day?? Also, right now am using the Benefiber for about 1 wk or little longer, how long did it take to work for you? How much do you take daily??
Am really constipated and trying to fing something to work.
Thanks

#95569 - 08/04/04 01:14 PM
RachelT

I'm a C.

I didn't have to try the Acacia for very long. It caused bloating so bad that I stopped after 2 days. I'm currently using 1 Tablespoon of the Benefiber, and have been doing so for about a month. I'm trying right now to increase it a little. Are you drinking enough water?? Water consumption helps with C a lot, also excercise helps to get things moving. I try to walk every day.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

There's a sticky post at the top of the board about Acacia dosages, switching, etc. new
      #95572 - 08/04/04 01:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's very concentrated, and too many folks start out with a high dose without realizing it, and that can cause bloating and gas. One tablespoon of Acacia has more than twice the amount of fiber in a tablespoon of Citrucel, for example. So watch your measurement of the dosage very closely - and start at low dose, increasing gradually. This is true for all soluble fiber supplements - you never want to jump right in at the max dose.

For constipation, it can take a few weeks to gradually build up to a high enough dose to see really good results. And make sure you're safely eating enough insoluble fiber foods - that's key. There's details in the diet section of the website.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#95580 - 08/04/04 01:27 PM
Mary Ann

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Becky,
Am trying 1 tsp. Benefiber twice a day. No much luck so far. since I have GERD of the stomach pretty much only drink water and lots of it. I usually walk 5-6 days a week for 30 mins. Got any other suggestions? Should I just keep trying the Benefiber..maybe increase it?

#95581 - 08/04/04 01:32 PM
RachelT

Did you just start this diet, or have you been following it for a while?? You do need to consume insoluble fiber as well as soluble. That eventually makes me go, but you have to be really careful with it, especially if you bloat easily. Cooking veggies till they're really done and then pureeing them helps. Have you seen my post on the "tummy massage"?? That helps too. Just do a search. Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

MaryAnn!!! new
      #95586 - 08/04/04 01:45 PM
RachelT

I saw you looking for the post and I remembered that it was a response that I had done for someone else. Here's the link tummy massage . You need to scroll down a little ways to find it.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: There's a sticky post at the top of the board about Acacia dosages, switching, etc. new
      #96827 - 08/09/04 01:41 PM
jharrison

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: N. Ireland

I have been using Acacia fiber supplement for 3 days now I seem to have more gas and bloating after eating than ever especially when I have taken the fiber just before a meal. I am currently taking 1/2tsp twice a day in 8oz of water, I am also following the IBS diet strictly. Can anyone help?

Re: There's a sticky post at the top of the board about Acacia dosages, switching, etc. new
      #96830 - 08/09/04 01:47 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I had this experience when I followed the acacia with a larger meal (like dinner.)

Try taking your evening dose right before bed instead of before dinner. As long as dinner still has a good soluble fiber base, you should be fine.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#97011 - 08/10/04 03:59 AM
jharrison

Thanks, I'll try that. I tried taking Acacia in my oatmeal this morning but I am still having cramps and a lot of gas. Would it be better to stop taking it altogether? I think I felt better before I started taking the Acacia. I am currently off work with this IBS and I am desperately trying to get it stablized so I can return to work and get some part of my life back on a normal footing.

#97108 - 08/10/04 09:00 AM
ChristineM

If you think acacia specifically is bothering you, try a different SFS. I should have been more clear, though. I take my SFS separate from my meals. In fact, I usually drink my acacia, have my morning BM, and THEN eat my breakfast. No problems.

If you try that and continue to have a lot of gas, maybe acacia just isn't for you and you need a different one. I wouldn't just quit the SFS, though. I take nine grams a day, and I think it has made the biggest difference in helping me become almost stable!

--------------------
Christine

#97113 - 08/10/04 09:07 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I use to take Fibercon for awhile and it didn't bother me. But then I started adding insoluble fiber (green veggies, whole wheat) big mistake! So I stopped taking it since then. I have been skeptical about trying any fiber since, but I am going to get Heather's Acacia, I hear it is great! I would try it, but the key is to start off slow, by taking 1/2 a teaspoon and the working your way up slowly. She has a post on it, you might want to read it, itis very informative. I hope this helps.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#97114 - 08/10/04 09:11 AM
ChristineM

Well, but one thing has nothing to do with the other. I for one don't touch whole wheat at all, but I can eat green veggies. However, back when I was only taking a couple of grams worth of soluble fiber, I couldn't tolerate it. (Fibercon only has about .5 grams of fiber per pill, I believe.)

In other words, if you have a problem with a certain insoluble, don't blame your SFS.

I hope this clarifies things!

--------------------
Christine

#97153 - 08/10/04 12:17 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I meant to add before, I used Fibercon and it worked for me, but Heather's tummy fiber works for a lot of people. If fibercon doesn't work for you as you had mentioned, I would try this.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#97368 - 08/11/04 02:31 AM
jharrison

Thanks for you help its great to know others have been there before you and know how it feels trying to get the right balance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review