Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Progesterone Question - Heather?
      #9519 - 05/20/03 05:25 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Heather,
It's Kerrie here. I had my embryo transfer this morning and my doctor has given me progesterone gel to use for the next 15 days to give our embryos every chance they can get.

I know that I have to use it for that reason but I'm very scared about the side effects which are listed as very common.

They are:
abdominal pain and bloating
constipation and nausea
headaches and dizziness
feelings of severe sadness and unworthiness

I am wondering what I can do to combat these; especially the bloating, constipation and nausea.

I'm already so bloated from all the drugs that I don't know how it could get any worse. I would hate to be constipated on top of that too. Also, the nausea is already playing up but I am controlling that with ginger OK.

Should I increase my benefiber over the next two weeks to try and avoid the constipation or will that make me more bloated?

It's hard because I think the lack of exercise (I usually do a fair bit) is not helping either but I'm supposed to take it easy.

Any suggestions you may have would be wonderful. I'm so frightened about what this will do to me.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Progesterone Question - Heather? new
      #9541 - 05/20/03 08:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kerrie - I'm hoping that the side effects listed don't actually happen to you at all - I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.

I would increase the Benefiber, maybe just a teaspoon or so per dose, going up a bit more each day. If it hasn't caused gas/bloating for you before and you've been on it regularly you should be able to up the dose without problems.

If you can stay active, especially before side effects hit, I think this will help head them off. It's often easier to try and stay ahead of the symptoms than stop them once things start heading downhill.

And, I sound like a broken record, but keep up with the fennel tea. Crush the seeds to make it strong, brew it with a good size dose, and just keep drinking it.

If you can keep your insoluble fiber up with things like blended fruit smoothies and pureed veggie pasta sauces or soups, that will help keep the constipation at bay as well. Just blend things until they're completely smooth (and stick to the fruits/veggies you know you tolerate best) and this should be safe.

Wishing you the best, and lots of warm hugs,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9563 - 05/21/03 12:16 AM
carmen

Reged: 03/19/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

Im keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you Kerrie. Hope everything goes well for you.

#10173 - 05/28/03 06:35 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Kerrie! It's been about a week or so now. Haven't seen you post on how you were doing (unless I missed it! ). Was just wondering how you were feeling, if things were going okay. Hope they're going well!

Re: Mags -Thanks for caring! new
      #10276 - 05/30/03 12:19 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Mags,
Thanks for caring, I'm doing OK. I will be able to test in about 5 days time to see whether one or both of our embryos (George and Mildred as my husband is jokingly referring to them) decided to stick with us.

Just quietly, I haven't admitted it to my family or friends but I'm really terrifed. I really want it to have worked and I'm quite scared of how I will feel if confronted with the news it hasn't. I'm sure I'll pick myself up and keep going but I'm still so scared. It's on my mind all the time - which has certainly taken the focus off the IBS. The IBS has been really rotten but I think I'm accepting that it will be because of all the drugs and hormones in my body. Or it could be the hypno tapes helping me to wory about it less?

Anyway, on one hand I wish the next 5 days would never end so I wouldn't have the possibility of bad news but on the other hand I'll be relieved when the waiting is over.

Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Mags -Thanks for caring! new
      #10278 - 05/30/03 03:47 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Kerrie - Thanks for letting me (us ) know. I wasn't sure how long it took for you to find out. Patience is not one of my biggest virtues, so I can't even imagine having to wait for something so major. And you're handling the onslaught of IBS well...I'm not an expert, but I'd bet that the hypno is helping your body realize it's just temporary.

Kerrie, you are definitely in my thoughts and I want so bad for things to go well for you. Please let us know how the test goes next week. And, if you need to vent in the meantime, you know we're always here for you.

PS: I love the George & Mildred reference!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 830

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review