All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
1 month without an attack! Here's what's worked for me... (long post)
      #95153 - 08/02/04 02:49 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi everyone!

I'm an IBS-D, and I am happy to say that after being on Heather's diet for about 4 months now, I haven't had an attack in just over a month There was a point in my life when I thought this would never be possible, so needless to say I'm quite happy. Not only am I not getting attacks every day any more, most days I'm without bloating, cramping, gas, and all those other fun-fun-fun IBS symptoms.

I just wanted to take a second to record the things that have really helped me get where I am - both for myself and for those who may still be struggling. (Trust me, I've been there.)

So without further ado.....

- Fiber fiber fiber. I signed up at fitday.com (a diet/fitness diary type site), and this has been helpful for letting me know how much I'm getting - I aim for around 30g, but this only tells both soluble and insoluble. Obviously I make soluble fiber the basis of every meal, and I take 3 tbsp of Acacia a day to make sure I'm getting all the soluble fiber I could need. I also find that taking Acacia first thing when I get up with a big glass of water BEFORE eating really helps. Mornings were always terrible for me, but when I changed from having my SFS with my tea after breakfast to just drinking it before I found that my mornings became a lot more enjoyable. It really became clear to me how much the Acacia was helping when I (stupidly) let myself run out of it and had to wait on a new order without anything but handfuls of Metamucil capsules to swallow all day.

- I also take a calcium/magnesium supplement every day, and Vitamin E to supplement the loss I get from lowering my fat.

- I drink water all day long. I try to get 10 ounces or so a day. Not only has this seemed to help my IBS, but it also makes me feel much healthier!

- Speaking of feeling healthier... I credit exercise for a great deal of my stability. I've been becoming much more active in the last month or so and I've been simulataneously feeling so much better. I can't stress it enough - EXERCISE WORKS! I work out at the gym 3x per week (I'm doing a weight-training program), do 20 mins cardio 3x per week and try to get to my yoga classes when I can find the time. Also: walking instead of taking the bus, the stairs instead of the elevator, getting up and moving (gently) after eating... etc etc etc

- Heather's peppermint caps have also proved to work wonders for me - I take them 3x a day after meals. As soon as I started taking them I found that things that would have always given me a few cramps before now no longer do - I can actually have pain-free days, which is simply marvellous. Peppermint tea is also great and relaxing, but we all know that. Mints or Altoids are good to have on hand to calm your stomach down in a pinch, too.

- Eating 6 meals a day also really, really helps. I don't feel outrageously full after eating too much at dinner, and I never feel hungry during the day. And since I don't feel hungry, I don't get those predictable cramps from eating on an empty stomach. The 6 meal a day schedule is a little tough to manage with working 9-5 in the summer, but I do OK with tupperware containers and ziploc bags and eating at my desk - my coworkers must think I'm a compulive overeater or something, but oh well. I try to eat about 250-350 calories at a time - no more (that way I don't feel too full). Again fitday.com comes in handy here.

- I don't eat any raw veggies or fruits - maybe one day I can work them back into my diet, but I just don't think my body is quite ready for that now. I do make sure that I'm getting enough nutrients though by eating lots of cooked potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, and carrots, as well as other well-cooked veggies like green beans and zucchini. I stay away from acidic and sulpherous veggies like tomatoes (though a small slice on a sandwich is usually ok), broccoli etc. I do use small amounts of garlic in my meals - just because it makes everything taste so good. As for fruits, microwaved apples and cooked canned pears make occasional appearances in my diet without incident.

- (According to fitday.com) 10-15% of my calories are from fat - this is quite low compared with the recommended (for people without IBS) "keep it below 30%". I really don't find this low-fat diet difficult. Most of the time I eat breads and cooked veggies without anything on them, though occassionally a little bit of Fleichman's margarine. For flavour it add things like salsa, soy sauce, low fat or fat free marinades, mustards etc. I really don't miss all that fat.

- I've also learned to cook! I knew nothing (nothing) before but since I've had to take control of my diet I've forced myself to learn. My advice: start with the basics - pan frying (with cooking spray not oil!), baking (try wrapping meats and veggies in tin foil and popping them in the over for 20 minutes), pastas, rice (instant, baby), sauteeing and braising in small amounts of liquid etc. And really, keep it simple. Making it simple and easy has made all the difference - I actually want to cook for myself and my boyfriend now. I've also learned to bake: I try to keep a fresh or frozen loaf of banana or zucchini bread on hand at all times - delicious and a perfect ibs-safe food.

- I'm just starting to eat out at restaurants again - I was just too terrified for a while after having bad experiences. I've learned where I can go and where I can't, and to ask for what I want if there's nothing on the menu (chicken breast and baked potato please?) - most places are very accommodating. I also always remember that restaurants cook with probably twice the fat, so I go easy on chowing down.

- It may be hard to believe, but I don't cheat. I really don't. I've had too many experiences of cheating (just a spoonful of ice cream will be ok... right?) and seriously paying for it. My body just knows it's NOT worth it now. Occasionally I may have a meal that's a bit too high in fat or something, but that's it. I never drank coffee so that was an easy one for me (it was just switching for earl grey to herbal teas), and have always been lactose intolerant so only ever ate very small amounts of dairy (now I eat none, though I do miss my cheddar heese). Giving up alcohol as a first year college student was difficult. I'm not saying that I was an alcoholic - but there's no denying that alcohol is a big part of the college scene.

- I still always keep Immodium on hand just in case, though I haven't needed it in a while When I do, I make sure not to take more than 1 (even though the label says 2, or for the chewable ones I cut them in half). I found that a while ago I was taking it too often, and nothing was getting better, so I kind of 'weened' myself off of it. If I take more, I end up with C the next day, followed by more D in a few days, and the viscous cycle begins. Thus, I only use it in emergencies when I simply can't be in bed or minutes from a washroom.

- I haven't taken any prescription drugs. (Frankly I don't want to, and happily my doctor agrees with me.)

...Well that's it I think - sorry, that was a bit longer than I was anticipating! Really though, I can't say enough how GOOD it is to feel NORMAL and not SICK ALL THE TIME again. Thank you Heather! OK I'm gushing I should go... (Thanks again!)

Laurel.

PS I'd love to hear what has worked/is working for others on here who have been stable for a while.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 1 month without an attack! Here's what's worked for me... (long post) new
      #95154 - 08/02/04 02:58 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

Great job!! Keep up the good work. I loved reading all about what you have done to stay health. Thanks.

Thanx for giving so many of us hope new
      #95158 - 08/02/04 03:37 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

WOW! It was wonderful reading your story. It made me think that maybe one day, I would actually be able to get up and the morning and not wonder if I was going to have an attack within the 1st 2hours of being up. What an inspiration; thanx so much for sharing
Janene

#95165 - 08/02/04 03:59 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

Congratulations! Fiber I think also has helped me alot & start off every morning the same way. I probably cheat from time to time which is why I`ve been D 1-2 times every 2weeks. I`m getting better at this whole new way of eating. But hey we all know the consequences if we don`t.

#95170 - 08/02/04 04:11 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Laurel, that is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS NEWS!!!! Congratulations SO MUCH!!! And excellent and helpful description of how you did it. Confirms and supports a lot of Heather's recommendations and my experience as well.

Okay, now let's aim for TWO MONTHS!!! YAY LAUREL!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you so much for sharing what has worked for you new
      #95175 - 08/02/04 04:27 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I have been following the "regime" for the spring and summer. I always love to hear what works for others and you have given me some ideas. You have also given me inspiration because I do go off the diet and end up paying for it somewhere along the lines.

--------------------
IBS-D

Really inspirational!! Thanks for sharing your success! (nt) new
      #95176 - 08/02/04 04:28 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

So Happy for you - Congratulations Laurel! new
      #95189 - 08/02/04 06:41 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

What a success story!

Thank goodness for Heather, her diet, and her books.
I too have been feeling great since starting Heather's diet. I'm IBS A and haven't had D or C since the end of May (I started the diet early May), except for a bad week in early July when I had an attack from swordfish that did not agree with me.

My routine is very similar to yours. For exercise I run and do pilates, not every day, but as frequently as time permits (I also take the stairs etc. whenever possible).

I also eat frequently, take fiber and drink water throughout the day. Peppermint tea is my miracle beverage
and I carry Altoids and Fibercon for any discomfort that comes along when I'm away from home. I also carry Levsin just in case, but I haven't had to take it since the 4th of July.

I take Centrum in the morning after breakfast and Caltrate at night after dinner (unless I'm not feeling right).

Salad (lettuce, croutons, a little non-fat dressing) agrees with me but all other raw vegetables are a no-no. Small amounts of cooked spinach and green beans are ok but so far thats it for green veggies.

Also, eating out is becoming easier. I now tell the waitresses that I have IBS (my husband's suggestion) and so far everyone has been very accomadating. In fact, we make a joke of it - I tell the waitress that I have IBS and can't tolerate fat and we figure out my order, then my husband then tells the waitress that he doesn't have IBS and to give him the works!

Anyway, I was very glad to read your post. Your outline is very helpful and I'm going to check out the fitday.com website!

Thanks,

Kim

#95191 - 08/02/04 06:53 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Laurel (what a beautiful name!):

Congratulations on making it a month without an attack! It is so helpful to hear from people about what is working for them, so thank you for sharing!

I haven't had a true *attack* in about a month, either, but my BMs aren't consistently nice and firm. I am finding pretty much the same things you said: SFS are key, nix the dairy, and safely incorporate insolubles. As for broccoli and salads, I do eat those things, but I chew thoroughly and take some Beano for good measure.

Thank you for sharing! Again, congratulations!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

So Happy for you - Congratulations Laurel! new
      #95192 - 08/02/04 06:55 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

What a success story!

Thank goodness for Heather, her diet, and her books. I too have been feeling great since starting Heather's diet. I'm IBS A and haven't had D or C since the end of May (I started the diet early May), except for a bad week in early July when I had an attack from swordfish that did not agree with me.

My routine is very similar to yours. For exercise I run and do pilates, not every day, but as frequently as time permits (I also take the stairs etc. whenever possible).

I also eat frequently, take fiber and drink lots of water throughout the day. Peppermint tea is my miracle beverage, I'm so addicted, and I carry Altoids and Fibercon for any discomfort that comes along when I'm away from home. I also carry Levsin just in case, but I haven't had to take it since the 4th of July.

I take Centrum in the morning after breakfast and Caltrate at night after dinner.

Salad (lettuce, croutons, a little non-fat dressing) agrees with me but all other raw vegetables are a no-no. Small amounts of cooked spinach and green beans are ok but so far thats it for green veggies.

Also, eating out is becoming easier. I now tell the waitresses that I have IBS (my husband's suggestion) and so far everyone has been very accomadating. In fact, we make a joke of it - I tell the waitress that I have IBS and can't tolerate fat and we figure out my order, then my husband then tells the waitress that he doesn't have IBS and to give him the works!

The most important thing I've learned though is to listen to my body. If I'm tired when I get home from work, I take it easy. If my stomach feels a little off I sooth it (peppermint tea, etc.) and maybe skip my vitamin and lay off the insoluble fiber for a day. If I have a hectic schedule and I start to stress about it I rearrange what I can.

Anyway, I was very glad to read your post. Your outline is very helpful and I'm going to check out the fitday.com website!

Thanks,

Kim

#95199 - 08/02/04 08:12 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

It's so great to hear success stories! I hope that I too will be free of this monster soon.

I'm IBS-D and I've been on a liquid diet for two days, followed by starting to eat solids (I'm sticking to Heather's suggestion of planning meals around insoluble fiber). I started taking Guar Gum, an insoluble fiber. Like you, I've been taking Imodium a lot and will have the same pattern of C followed by D. Today it was just sludge. So disheartening. How soon until this stuff works?

I also exercise frequently; swim and hike. I need to spend more time with relaxation exercises however.

Your tips were great; I'll incorporate them. Thanks for sharing!

#95203 - 08/02/04 08:26 PM
LasVegasAmy

Reged: 08/02/04

Frustrated is how I feel. I have had IBS since I was 18. I am now 28. I just finally got diagnosed with it 8 months ago. My DR. perscribed me NuLev for my episodes till my diet got better and I could handle more. I never really got on a strick diet and took fiber only a few times a month really. I just took those pills 3-4 times a day everyday. She said that was fine for now, but I had to work on my diet to help my body fight it. So, I went off the pills in early May. Too my surprise I could eat anything still without the pills. I was shocked. However 3 weeks later, I became very ill. I have been ill for 2 months now and thye don't think it is related to my IBS. Now that I am feel a little better on a daily basis. I can tell you that I feel lighted (like I am going to pass out) and get a tingling feeling in my abdomin about 5 minutes before I have to go #2. I always have aheadache too. Does anyone know if headaches and lightheadness is part of any IBS symptom. I have found much help in this website for eating, but I am still a very picky eater and will find it difficult to eat like this. Strick Soluble fiber for 3 days sounds like it would not be very nutritious, which is what my DR is concerned with. Any help or suggestions on food items that are easy to eat and still healthy for the rest of my body, but will help determine if my head problems are related to my IBS.

Thank you all so much for listening, it's been a long 10 years and a longer 2 months. I have 3 small boys (5,3,1) and can't do much with them feeling like this. Starting to feel like a bad mom. Thanks again for this website. I'll definately be around!!

#95216 - 08/02/04 09:19 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

You give me continued hope!! I too have just started to see good results with the diet, acacia etc... your info is now added to my bank of knowledge--every bit helps, thanks and continue to feel well!!

#95217 - 08/02/04 10:21 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Amy,

Look at it this way: three days on a very safe "non-nutritious" diet that leads to stability is better than diarrhea for the next sixty years, isn't it? The bland diet is just to give the tummy a chance to calm down so it doesn't feel like it's constantly under attack.

If you're wondering why you were fine for three weeks after the Nulev, it's probably because the effects of IBS are often cumulative. In other words, you can maybe eat a little bit of a trigger one day and be fine, but if you eat that same thing a few days in a row, you'll get D. I would guess that it took your body a few weeks to remember how it disliked the things you were eating.

As for what you can eat that is nutritious, Heather's book and the recipe section of this site are filled with recipes that are very nutritious and IBS-safe. I have eaten such exotic and rich dishes, sometimes it's hard to believe they're actually good for me!

I can't speak to the lightheadedness, but I do often experience nausea before an attack. Have you had your blood sugar checked? That's the only idea I have in that regard.

Good luck. I understand your frustration, but you will feel less so when you commit yourself to habits that will help make you well.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#95240 - 08/03/04 03:39 AM
retrograde

I'm so glad everyone found my post useful, inspirational even. Really I couldn't be happier (obviously) with my results and seriously, I know all about the frustration, fear of eating, pain and disheartenment. Just stick to it - tough advice I know, especially when it may mean only eating bananas, rice, skinless potatoes and applesauce for a few days here and there when you need to, and taking time out of your life to deal with your IBS. Heather's guidelines really work. OK, I may sound like an informercial lackey - but it's 100% true.

These boards are absolutely wonderful; they give me so much encouragement and hope and clearly give others a chance to spread hope around - something everyone struggling with this syndrome definitely needs.

So, here's going for 2 months! Thanks guys!!

#95241 - 08/03/04 03:55 AM
retrograde

Hi Amy

Sorry you're feeling so frustrated now. I definitely agree with Christine about the Nulev and the cumulitive effects of IBS. Sometimes it just takes your stomach a few days of "iffy" meals to build up into an attack rather than one big shock of a trigger.

Headaches and lightheadedness are not typically IBS symptoms I don't believe. However, I have experienced that sinking slightly nauseous feeling right before a bad attack of D.

As for the nutrition of the only-soluble-fiber-diet for a few days, think of it this way: our stomachs are particularly sensitive and don't necessarily get along well with the rest of our bodies, and sometimes they need extra considerations. What's 'healthy' for the rest of our bodies is not necessarily healthy for our stomachs. For example, whole wheat bread. Definitely a health food, but if it's going to be making you sick, how healthy is that? 3 or 4 days is not that long (and like Christine said, better than 60 years of D). Think of it as pampering your stomach and giving it a much deserved vacation from dealing with the stresses of everyday life. And it's not like rice and bananas and potatoes are junk food! What's more, it really works. If you just stick strictly to only solubles for a few days, your stomach will honestly calm down and be more prepared to handle what you throw at it. Give it some recuperation time. After that, the rest of the IBS diet on this site and in Heather's books is extremely healthy - certainly much healthier than a lot of other diets out there.

I used to be a very picky eater too, but I've discovered many new and wonderful foods through this diet that I never thought of eating before, like lots of Indian and Chinese foods.

Anyway, hope things start looking up for you soon. Hang in there!

#95252 - 08/03/04 06:22 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thank you SO much for sharing your story. It makes me so happy to hear how much better you're doing. I remember how horrible I felt before going on this diet so I completely understand how doing a month with no D can be a very exciting occassion. I hope you keep on doing just as well, and thanks again for sharing your successes!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#96130 - 08/06/04 02:01 PM

Unregistered

Hi Laurel Talk about opening your heart! I LOVED reading about how you have taken the steps along the path of recovery. Congratulations for being so strong and smart for yourself!!! I think by telling us about your achievements, you've not only helped yourself but so many others here, some who are responding and some who also may be reading but not responding. Keep up the healing life, hon! I hope you have feeling good days more often than not.

This is so wonderful!! Thank you for sharing this!!! -nt- new
      #96157 - 08/06/04 05:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#96294 - 08/07/04 04:29 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

LasVegasAmy! Welcome! I just noticed your post here. Are you still around. Hope so -- the more the merrier!

And ps, you're a good mom for wanting to get better. My mom would never admit she had IBS, although they didn't know much about it back then, but it sure would have been better if she admitted she was sick and tried to get better rather than just denying everything and trying to pretend she was fine, normal, healthy, when even us kids could see she wasn't. It just confused us and made us doubt our own ability to understand things. So I applaud you for taking care of yourself so you can take care of those boys even better!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#96309 - 08/07/04 05:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Laurel - this is the first post I've read on the diet board after being away for awhile. What a fabulous one to start with!! Congrats! I love reading the success stories - thanks for sharing!

#96549 - 08/08/04 01:40 PM
idendonurse

Reged: 08/03/04

I think it is fantastic 1 month no IBS! Looking forward to getting there myself! Question thou. Where is fitday.com? Can not find it, site is not there. Can you give www. adress? Thank you Donna

Hi Donna! new
      #96551 - 08/08/04 02:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not sure if maybe the site was down for a bit, or what, but here ya go: http://www.fitday.com/ I just checked it, and it's working just fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6610

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review