All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need Help
      #94634 - 07/30/04 04:24 PM
monkey

Reged: 03/07/04

I do all the things suggested and I still have horrible trouble with constipation and not being able to make normal bowel movements. It usually worsens too the point of severe pain. I've tried all the supplements, changing my diet, seeing many doctors and nothing helps. Since you are all experienced with this maybe you could lend some advice. Below is my regular diet, keep in mind I'm 6'4 male who works out regulrary and is looking to put on weight.
Breakfest-Orange Juice, Oatmeal, White Bagel w/natural seedless strawberry jelly, soy protien shake made with soy milk w/fiber supp and 2 tbs of flaxseed oil
Lunch-can of tuna or salmon, soy yogurt, banana, cup of apple sauce with fiber sup mxed in
Snack-piece of cold chicken on a white bagel, water with fiber supp
Dinner-baked chicken or fish, Vegetable-brown rice or carrots....or pasta with regular sauce
snack-oatmeal, 2 tbs flaxseed oil, fiber supp with water

I also throw in white bagels a lot for further snacks.
Please let me know what you think and how would you change/amend what I'm currently doing; I need help! Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You need a lot more insoluble fiber new
      #94637 - 07/30/04 04:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's nothing wrong with what you are eating, but you are missing an awful lot of fresh fruits and veggies and beans that you can safely add in. Try making fresh fruit smoothies, making veggie soups or pasta sauces, hummus and bean dips, and add these to the meals you've got going. Can you add some veggies to your sandwich at lunch? Add fresh fruit to your morning smoothie, or have a smoothie for dessert after dinner?

It's really important to not just drastically reduce insoluble fiber or eliminate it altogether - this is where HOW you eat can make a really big difference, and make insoluble fiber foods much more tolerable.

Check the IBS diet section for tons more info/ideas on this...
- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Need Help new
      #94638 - 07/30/04 04:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm going to take a guess, from what you say you typically eat, and guess that you likely need to increase your insoluble fiber, safely. It seems to me like you're not getting a whole lot in the way of fruits and vegetables, and that could be the culprit. I'm sure someone else with a little more experience with constipation will come along and weigh in on this, though.

Re: You need a lot more insoluble fiber new
      #94682 - 07/30/04 06:52 PM
monkey

Heather,
Thanks so much for replying. I use to put Strawberry's and Blueberry's in my smoothie and that ended up making me sick. Anything with seeds doesn't go to well with me. Is there any fruits in particular that you would recommend? I use to eat bran cereal, should I go back to that? Nothing really seems to work so please advise, I've seen doctors and nutritionalist's and they never seem to come up with anything that helps. Furthermore, I only lose weight instead of gain it and I'm paying hyge amounts for a personal trainer get back up to a decent weight for me but my efforts are going by the wayside. I look forward to your response. Thanks again

#94684 - 07/30/04 06:53 PM
monkey

Thanks for the response, any special fruits would you suggest?

#94685 - 07/30/04 06:54 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Have you tried bananas?? Those work really well in smoothies! Also, papaya and/or mangoes!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by BeckyT (07/30/04 06:54 PM)

#94686 - 07/30/04 06:55 PM
monkey

I already have one a day but I guess I could have more, do they provide good fiber?

#94693 - 07/30/04 07:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am impressed with your diet for a guy- it is very healthy. With your size though and wanting to gain weight I think you could eat a lot more. You could eat 2 or 3 sandwiches at lunch easily and snack all day, but I know when people are naturally thin sometimes they just can't eat that much. (You should see how much my 6'2 husband can pack in! a whole pizza is nothing to him). Anyway my suggestions to add more insoluble fiber (and really you aren't getting enough veggies as it is) are to add some dried fruit to your oatmeal, that will hopefully not upset you like seeds will, and to add veggies at lunch like sprouts, spinach, seedless cucumber, tomato or whatever you like (lettuce seems to be a trigger for many people) and have several veggies at night. Then to add in more calories have bread with dinner and snack on lowfat cookies and the like whenever you can. Also try mangoes, papayas and avocadoes and see if you like them. Dried mangoes and papayas are very good and soluble fiber and good for you and have calories. Oh yeah and bagels are soluble fiber but I have never felt comfortable with them personally. Maybe since you eat so many it might be worth it to try some other bread product and see how that goes, yet I think they are the most caloric. Well if you can get anything out of this rambly post you are doing quite well! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#94698 - 07/30/04 07:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Unfortunately, a lot of it is trial and error... what works for me might not work for you, and there's no way to avoid the unpleasant effects if they don't... it's just part of the process, unfortunately!

I find that I can eat peaches, pineapple and pears with no problems. Canned seem to be a little easier to digest, and bonus - they work really good in smoothies because they're so soft. I can't eat apples, but you might try those as well - I think I've seen that people on here eat baked apples as a snack, that might be a tasty replacement for one of those bagels. And, as was already suggested, papayas and mangos are excellent as well. (But don't waste your time on canned mangos, they're awful!)

Don't just think of fruit for smoothies, though, either. I know I saw a recipe in the recipe index for chicken baked with apples, and one of my childhood favorites was chicken baked with canned peach halves and pineapple slices. Good stuff!

Vegetable-wise, I've found I can eat spinach and peas with no problems. I can also do broccoli, as long as it's cooked well. Carrots are good too.

That's just a few suggestions; I'm still in the process of adding insolubles back to my diet, too, so I might not be the best person to ask for suggestions. Still, hope that helped a little!

#94787 - 07/31/04 11:12 AM
monkey

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. I'm going to add a lot more fruit to my diet and see if that helps. Somehow I'm going to find a combination that works. I've had IBS for the last 5 years and it's pretty much ruined my life, I keep dropping weight instead of putting it on, I've lost a lot strength and I just plain don't feel good a lot of the time. Thanks again for your help, best of luck to you

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review