All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Protein Powder - Is it constipating?
      #9421 - 05/19/03 07:01 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I did read a couple of past posts on soy protein and it seems like it's OK. I was wondering if anyone has tried the powder.

Because I am going through IVF it has been recommended that I follow a high protein diet to lessen the chances of Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome. I have some mild synptoms of it, my doctor is not worried but has said we can manage it with bed rest, panadol and eating small amounts of high protein foods regularly.

I am eating plenty of fish, lean chicken and turkey breast, rice, TVP, soy yoghurt, bananas etc.

My nurse/ co-ordinator at the fertility group suggested the Protein powder and after a hunt I found a soy one. It is called Nature's Way and the ingredients are 100%Natural Isolated Soy Protein. It is low fat (1.2g per serve) and has 26.4g protein per serve so it seems a good way to get extra protein.

I'm just a bit worried that it might be constipating?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Protein Powder - Is it constipating? new
      #9427 - 05/19/03 08:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kerrie - I'd actually be less worried about the soy protein than things like too much fish or chicken. One of the reasons protein can be constipating is that high protein foods tend to be very low in water. Since you'll be mixing the soy with liquid that should really help.

As long as you keep your soluble fiber level up, and keep drinking your water or herbal teas, I'd bet you'll be fine.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re:Thanks Heather-nt- new
      #9430 - 05/19/03 08:11 PM
KinOz

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#9506 - 05/20/03 04:51 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kerrie,

I use soy protein powder all the time. I do not find it to be constipating and I am prone to that. This is probably because of Heather's suggestion that it is in drink form.

Try one of Heather's shakes and then add a scoop of powder instead of just mixing the powder with water or soy milk. It makes it extra yummy!

--------------------
Lorna

#9529 - 05/20/03 06:18 PM
KinOz

Thanks, I will!

Do you feel it gives you more energy?
Kerrie

--------------------

#9578 - 05/21/03 06:23 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Not as much energy as the complex carbohydrates that are the basis of Heather's diet. I take the soy protein for building muscles after a workout.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Lorna

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review