All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber supplements
      #94 - 01/29/03 01:34 PM
woohoo

Reged: 01/29/03

Diagnosed with IBS last year(after suffering for years with diarrhea),I have tried all the fiber supplements. All of them make me "explode". Another IBS-suffering friend has the same problem. The only thing that has helped me is to take two Imodium at lunch every day. I have been remarkably regular for the last few weeks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber supplements Immodium new
      #153 - 01/30/03 10:20 AM
Meadoes

Reged: 01/27/03

Immodium works wonders for me also. But someone I talked to once said that they have used it everyday and their system got used to it. I never want that to happen. So I only use it like today when i have to go to the doctor. I really got so much out of First Year IBS. White rice, especially is something that i used to give my children when they had problems.
Hip Hip Hooray for Immodium and First Year IBS.
Barbara

Re: Fiber supplements new
      #154 - 01/30/03 10:39 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Hello woohoo!
As mentioned in a mail a few days ago, I too had difficulty with fibre supplements. The only one that seems to work for me is a brand called "Poly-karaya" which is a soluble fibre supplement. I live in France so I'm not sure if it is available in the states or in England. I tip 2 sachets into an empty small container and carry it round with me at all times (along with a small bottle of mineral water).
As for imodium, I have heard it reccomended to take a small dose every day (1mg). I find the liquid form of immodium to be really practical and about every three days I take a teasponn which seems to firm up my stools. I have also found a small (15mg) dose of amytriptilne to be really helpful in slowing and calming things down a bit.

Bye for now,
Claire

Re: Fiber supplements Immodium new
      #171 - 01/30/03 12:57 PM
woohoo

I have heard that you can build a resistance to Imodium, but my doctor said no. I have also heard of people who take it everyday, and have for years. It is supposedly safe in doses under 8mg a day. I take 2mg almost every day. Anyone else have additional info on Imodium?

Re: Note about fiber supplements new
      #172 - 01/30/03 01:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Sometimes when people have a bad reaction to these it is actually the additives causing a problem. If you tried a flavored or colored or artificially sweetened supplement, it could have been those ingredients that were trouble. Citric acid (which gives orange flavor to a lot of supplements) can also cause problems. So, if you haven't already, try taking a small dose of a totally plain supplement. If you prefer pills, try Equalactin, Fibercon, or Citrucel. If you like powders, try Benefiber or plain Citrucel. Start with just one pill or a one teaspoon dose per day. Gradually add another dose later in the day, and over several weeks (go slow if you're nervous) work up to 2 pills twice daily or 2T powder twice daily. Make sure you take a lot of water with each dose! Soluble fiber needs water to work.

This may help...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fiber supplements new
      #181 - 01/30/03 02:41 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Woohoo - you're lucky you can take Immodium. If I did what you did, everything turns to "cement" and I have to call Roto-rooter to get back to normal. Isn't is strange how different we all are? Congrats on being regular for 2 weeks. You might want to check w/Heather to see if it's okay to take Immodium regularly. She knows way more than I ever will about IBS. Good Luck.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#222 - 01/31/03 11:08 AM
woohoo

I have tried the pill form of citrucel, but usually 2 in a day. I will try once more with one pill and lots of water. I usually have my explosion about 24 hours after taking the pill. It comes without warning.

#223 - 01/31/03 11:37 AM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Have you ever tried Fibercon. I found that Citrucel really
made my D worse, Metamucil helped a little, but Fibercon is
the one that really works for me! I take 2 pills with 8 oz
of water before a meal 1-2 times a day, especially before a
meal that is likely to bother me. It also gives you calcium.
Mary Kay

question about citracel tablets... new
      #6476 - 04/19/03 03:19 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I was wondering when you take 2 citracel tablets, it says to drink a full glass of water, should you drink the full glass of water at once, or can you drink a little bit of water, take a breath or wait a few minutes, drink a little bit more water, take a breath/wait a few minutes, etc? i hope this makes sense.

Re: question about citracel tablets... new
      #6489 - 04/19/03 07:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You don't have chug the water all at once. Basically, the soluble fiber needs water to work, and you also want to make sure that you've swalled the tablet alllll the way down to your stomach, and the water will ensure that. You wouldn't want to dry swallow it and have it end up stuck somewhere in your esophagus.

So, take as many minutes as you need to comfortably drink the water. You can also half the glass before the tablet and half after if that's easier.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review