All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how to cook & flavor soluble fiber
      #9392 - 05/19/03 02:47 PM
Bobbi

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: London, England

Hi! I'm new to trying the IBS diet and am not happy about eating things like pasta & rice without anything on them. What options are there? I cannot eat tomato sauce at all, and since dairy is out then so is pesto sauce. I would usually put some olive oil with pepper, salt, & garlic on it....but I guess olive & other oils are out?

Also, is wheat-free soy sauce (Tamari) Ok to eat? How do I roast veggies if I can't use olive oil? I'm a bit confused about this new way of eating and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. What about low-fat margarine? And what do most people drink? I usually have water with lemon or apple juice but that seems like an IBS no-no as well. Help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to cook & flavor soluble fiber new
      #9398 - 05/19/03 03:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome to the board! You absolutely don't have to avoid all fats and oils - monounsaturated fats and essential fatty acids are crucial to overall good health. You just have keep your diet low fat, not fat free. Do avoid all animal fats like red meats and dairy. Make your fats count - here's a past post on that web page

You can definitely roast veggies with olive oil, and incorporate low levels of fats in other dishes as well. Just make sure you always have a soluble fiber basis you're adding small amounts of fat too. You don't want to eat high fat foods alone or on an empty stomach.

Pesto sauce is actually dairy free, though high in fat from olive oil. Still, if you use it sparingly on pasta you should be just fine.

Tamari and all soy sauces are just fine.

For drinks, try hot herbal teas like peppermint, fennel, or chamomile. They'll help reduce or eliminate most IBS symptoms. Do a search for past posts on drinks as well.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: how to cook & flavor soluble fiber new
      #9540 - 05/20/03 08:27 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Pesto sauce usually contains Parmesan cheese--sometimes a LOT of Parmesan cheese! Since I'm not a fan of the nondairy Parmesan I've tried, I was going to experiment with making pesto without the cheese this summer. But if you buy it or make it from a conventional recipe it will contain cheese.

Dang, you're right! new
      #9543 - 05/20/03 08:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I forgot about the Parmesan. I've been making pesto for so long without the Parmesan this went right over my head.

Thank you!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dang, you're right! new
      #9545 - 05/20/03 08:38 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I can't even find soy parmesan around here so I've been making everything without it. It's a little bland but ok. I LOVE cheese in all forms but soy just isn't the same. *sigh*

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#11391 - 06/11/03 11:08 AM
jules19

Reged: 06/11/03

Hi! I'm new to this site!

I was just put on a elimination diet from my doctor, and was also wondering how I was going to flavor my foods, since I'm a huge fan of olive oil and other marinades. I can't eat oils and other foods for two weeks (to weed out food sensitivities). I also can't eat raw fruits or veggies.

I have found that my George Foreman Grill has been a lifesaver! I grill all my veggies after spraying a small amount of Pam on the grill. I season with ground red pepper, and a little bit of low sodium soy sauce. I can essentially make a quick and easy dinner by adding a serving of seasoned chicken breast and a half cup of instant brown rice.

I'm big into flavorful and colorful foods, so this has helped me out a ton!

~julie

#11393 - 06/11/03 12:26 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I also LOVE cheese and wasn't happy about giving it up. I find that the soy cheedar cheese is ok, I thought the soy mozzerella was horrible! I tried a RICE mozzerella cheese and love it! I swear, it melts and taste like real mozzerella. The rice one is harder to find. The only place I have found it is at a health food grocery called Good Foods. The rice butter I also find to taste better than the soy butter, although neither has that true butter taste, but they are ok. Ifyou can find the rice mozzerella, do give it a try. I have been making pizzas on flat pita bread with it and YUM!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 920

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review