All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Atkins made a monkey out of me!
      #9274 - 05/17/03 08:19 AM
Krysiana

Reged: 05/17/03
Loc: NY

Hi everyone! Newbie poster here - been looking around, reading some of the posts, and clinging to my IBS books. I have a very important question, but let me give you background (please, bear with me, it's a bit of a longie):

All my life I ate like garbage - I used to jokingly say I was a "meatatarian", and I could eat anything - lots of sugar, flour, fried stuff (except of course that eating anything was rarely vegetables!). I didn't have any digestive problems (except on rare occasion, like any other average person). But I did start to have some other health problems, specifically anemia, hypoglycemia and all it's side effects.

After reading a researching, I went on the Atkins diet. I felt fabulous for a few months (it cured both my problems), but then something went horribly wrong with my stomach. At first they told me it was GERD and a small hernia, and they just gave me a pill, which was ineffective. They didn't see anything wrong with the diet - after all, it was the first time in my life I was eating nice healthy whole grains, whole nuts, tons of fresh veggies, and a wide variety of poutry, fish and red meat (no, it was not deep fried bacon cheeseburgers). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, so I made sure I packed on the "healthy" stuff.

Eventually, it seems my stomach gave up. I ate and ate, but nothing really digested -it kinda rotted inside. I lost so much weight and dehydrated so bad, I became vulnerable to some kind of stomach virus, and was placed in the hospital twice. The doctors didn't really know what to do other than give me tummy tranquilizers and say "Oh, it's probably just Norwalk Virus & IBS" - without testing for anything else or giving me some more practical adivce.

Well, I recently chucked all the doctors who told me I was stuck like this for life (which may be short if the weight loss doesn't stop!). My new gastroenterologist is starting to do the proper tests now (she thinks it IS IBS but also some other problems), and has put me on a milder medicine and some of the supplements suggested on the boards/book.

I just finished the Eating for IBS book and realized my problem probably was that I did such a good job of eliminating all white flour, sugar and starches, that I have had almost 0 soluble fiber for 7 months. I'm so grateful I found the book, but so frustrated - why didn't the doctors tell me there was 2 kinds of fiber? Why didn't they see it in my food logs (not even the nutritionists caught it)?

But here's my real question - and I'm stuck - all these recipes on the book/site look really good, but if I go back to real sugars, I'm back to hypoglycemia, seizures, moodiness, etc. But it seems I can't use artificial sweetners either because it will upset my stomach (I know Sorbitol in large quantity does me in, I seem ok with Splenda). Am I stuck never sweetening anything?

I've really tried to keep a positive outlook, but I just don't want to eat anymore. I don't enjoy food like I used to. My last joke with my doctor was "Maybe I should've stayed eating like cr-p - I would be in less pain"!

Anything anyone out there could suggest would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Atkins made a monkey out of me! new
      #9275 - 05/17/03 08:32 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Good morning and welcome to our world! I don't use any sugar, only honey, rice syrup and stevia. Stevia is wonderful, a few drops will sweeten anything! You get it at health food stores, a little bottle will last you a long time. Were you able to bring things like potatoes back into your diet w/o any problems?

Atkins new
      #9278 - 05/17/03 10:08 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi, Krysiana,

Thanks for sharing your story, it's fascinating!! I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful information and support from this board like I do! You've just inspired me to suggest Heather as candidate for the Nobel price!

Susaloh

Edited by susaloh (05/17/03 10:09 AM)

#9280 - 05/17/03 01:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome to the board! As strange as this is going to sound, it doesn't seem to me that Atkins as you were following it ("eating nice healthy whole grains, whole nuts, tons of fresh veggies, and a wide variety of poutry, fish") was a bad diet at all. The high insoluble fiber level could have caused problems for an IBS person if they weren't careful, but if you were healthy at the time that shouldn't have been a concern. You actually would have been getting lots of soluble and insoluble fiber both from the grains, nuts, and veggies.

You certainly do not have to eat sugar to eat safely for IBS, so I wouldn't worry about that. In fact, you can combine eating for IBS with glycemic index concerns without too much difficulty - there are past posts on this you can search for.

If you do think you have IBS, back off the insoluble fiber foods for a bit, and totally eliminate the red meat and dairy from your diet. Base your meals on soluble fiber staples like rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal. Add in a soluble fiber supplement like Benefiber, Citrucel, Equalactin, and try drinking some soothing teas such as peppermint or fennel.

There's info on soluble vs. insoluble fiber, and how they're often found in the same foods (which confuses a lot of folks) here - web page

To help break the cycle of attacks you're in the midst of, there's info here web page

For combining the IBS diet with glycemic concerns, see here web page

Finally, go ahead and start cooking the IBS recipes, and just be careful with the ones that are high in sugar. You can avoid desserts for now (or forever) and that won't hurt your IBS.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9451 - 05/20/03 06:53 AM
Krysiana

For some reason I thought Stevia and Splenda were the same thing, just a brand name. I'll go look for it.

Funny you should mention potaotes. During my first hospital visit, I was trying to think of when the last time my tummy felt good was - it was Christmas week, when I ate all the "bad" foods - bread, potatos, real sugars, etc.

Right now I'm pretty much living on bread, taters, and oatmeal, since they go down easy. I'm sloooooowly adding foods as I can tolerate them, and awaitng all my test results to make sure I don't have allergies or anything else.

Thanks for your reply!

Re: Atkins new
      #9452 - 05/20/03 06:55 AM
Krysiana

I'd second that! The info she's given has been a real lifesaver.

#9453 - 05/20/03 07:20 AM
Krysiana

Thank you very much for your post! I will definitely take a look at the links you passed onto me.

I pretty much backed off of everything that triggers off IBS/GERD/Hypoglycemia - which doesn't leave a heck of a lot to enjoy (low fats, low spices, low sugars?!). But I think my tolerances for some foods are beginning to return now. Once I confirm with my doctors my recent tests, I should be able to make some progress.

I just had to tell you - I don't know about the rest of me, but the peppermint tea seems to have fixed (or at least relieved) my GERD. I know the docs usually say to avoid it, but for the first time in a long time, I'm actually feeling hunger rumbles, instead of a constant oozy heat. Yay!

Thanks a bunch for your time, I really appreciate it!

#9464 - 05/20/03 09:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - It's a really good move on your part to take things slow and easy, and give your body time to adjust. Very smart.

If you keep tolerating the peppermint tea, that's wonderful, but if you find it does affect your reflux try fennel. It's terrific for GI distress but won't trigger heartburn the way mint can.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9477 - 05/20/03 10:28 AM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Are there any Atkins diet approved pasta that are IBS safe?

Lisa

#9480 - 05/20/03 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

What are Atkins approved pastas? Do you have an ingredient list?

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2154

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review