All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does Scoliosis Cause IBS???
      #92667 - 07/23/04 06:07 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Have a questions for you all. I have scolisis quite badly (a 45degree curve where there should be none ) Have seen a chiropractor regularly for several years who has been a big help to me. However, when IBS hit me in earnest about a year ago, he said where my severe curve is, that those nerves are the ones that go directly into my colon and so he is convinced that the scoliosis is causing my IBS. He doesn't feel stress is an issue for me, nor do I. I read all these different posts on how stress seems to be such a huge factor in so many IBSers, but I don't have that. That's why I hate to get caught up in very many antidepressants that may help IBS as well, because I'm not stressed and prefer not to be on a lot of drugs. When my chiro. mentioned the scoliosis, it kind of made sense and he worked rather intensely with me for a couple of months last winter, and although it did seem to help, it never really got me as stable as I wanted to be; hence, I went and saw my med. dr. and she prescribed librax, which has helped some, but not the way I was hoping. Anyways, just wondering if any of you have scoliosis and if you've heard that that may be causing your IBS.
Janene

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Scoliosis Cause IBS??? new
      #92670 - 07/23/04 06:35 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi! I too have scoliosis. I was diagnosed when I was about 12. I went to the Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia for about 6 years and they treated me. I never needed surgery but did wear a full brace for years which apparently only prevented my scoliosis from worsening. I'm 37 now and glad that I did have the prevention years ago. I can say though that I have never heard of scoliosis causing IBS. I guess though it could make sense if your doctor is telling you that. I would think anything pressing on your colon would aggrevate it and if your curve is down towards there it just may be. Did they do any xrays? That may be something to look into. However I'm not sure how involved it is to correct yours at your age. (Looked at your profile and saw you are 51 ) Like I said, mine was treated at 12. I don't think you'd want surgery to correct it now ?

I believe stress does aggrevate my IBS but it isn't MY main trigger. I think different foods trigger mine. Don't get me wrong, when I know I'm going out to eat or traveling I stress over that and I think that makes it worse but for the most part I have to watch what I eat.

I tried Librax too for another stomach condition and it made me sleepy. Did help the pain though.

Good luck in your research. It's always good to know different things related to IBS. Keep me posted if you find out more

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Too Old for surgery new
      #92810 - 07/24/04 01:44 PM
jeenerz

Thanx for responding; yep, I'm too old for any kind of surgery to correct my curvature and I've lived with it for all these years and survived ok My saving grace has been that I am an avid exerciser and that has kept me quite mobile and active. However, when IBS hit in earnest about a year ago, it has definitely put a damper on life in general. I talked to my chiropractor on Fri. and starting this next week, he's going to begin working on my back/colon area and see if it makes any difference...it's worth a try again. What blows me away every time I think of it is why did IBS spring up so intensely last year and why do so many foods that never bothered me before, cause problems now...my med doc says it's just age--that sure is encouraging, especially when I don't feel that old. Oh well, I let you know if the adjustments do anything for the IBS. Have a good one,
Janene

#93074 - 07/26/04 08:10 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hi Janene--

Interesting! I have IBS and scoliosis, and both run in my mom's family. They don't really seem correlated in any other way, though - my scoliosis was really bad from ages 9-12 but is now barely detectable, and my IBS has been on and off my entire life.

So have you tried a soluble fiber supplement and all the other aspects of the IBS diet? It's a very healthy diet - I can't wait to see how low my next cholesterol test will be - and it's nice and soothing to the colon.

Not everyone's IBS is linked to stress, although mine definitely is. I'm not taking any IBS-related drugs and there's no reason you should feel obligated to take them either.

--AC

#93085 - 07/26/04 09:41 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

I have it too! Interesting...

AC new
      #93127 - 07/26/04 11:21 AM
jeenerz

Yes, I'm taking 5tsp of acacia/day. Something new I decided to try this weekend was to totally drop all my vitamins. Besides a multi, I usually take 1500 mg of Vit C and 600mg of calcium. I had also been taking a mega dose supplement of Vit. B until my reg doc said that Vit B can definitely aggravate IBS, which I had never heard before.I know I need the calcium, but I decided it couldn't hurt for a week and see if I can tell a difference. As for the diet, I don't follow it real close, but thru many trials and errors I have my own list of what I can and can't eat. However, I do have Heathers cookbook as well as her other book and have gleaned many helpful ideas for food and they seem to work. I saw my chiropractor this am and he did alot of adjusting in the lower back where the IBS triggers are. So we'll see what happens.

Dropping the Vitamin C might make a big difference! -nt- new
      #93160 - 07/26/04 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#93183 - 07/26/04 01:49 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I have not been diagnosed with "Scoliosis" - but about a year ago I saw an Osteopath for some knee problems and was told I was misaligned from my head to my feet. I have been going for Osteopathic Manupulative Treatment since. My doctor mentioned that my back, knee, hip ect problems were not going to get better until my situation with my stomach was better..... am doing much better overall - but still have episodes. Anne

Re: Dropping the Vitamin C might make a big difference! -nt- new
      #93223 - 07/26/04 03:49 PM
thetreester

Reged: 07/26/04

Can you be a bit more detailed about the Vitamin C? I am going to start taking a multivitamin that has C in it.

Is Vit. C bad for IBS??? new
      #93258 - 07/26/04 05:05 PM
jeenerz

Heather,
I would be very interested in hearing more why you think dropping vit C could make a difference with IBS.
Thanx,
Janene

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review