Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question on the IBS DIet
      #92353 - 07/22/04 02:27 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey Everybody,

Just a warning this is a long one. And the questions come at the end.

I have had IBS-A ever since I gave birth to my first child, I was 21 years old. I remember being home the first day with my newborn and practically tossing her on the couch and running for the bathroom. I thought I was going to soil myself. It was the most explosive D I had ever had in my life. I thought at the time that maybe my intestines or something didn't shift back into the right spot after giving birth. After that I would go from explosive D to extreme C doubled over on the floor crying. I went to the doctors multiple times for my symptoms. They told me all sorts of stuff like it is in my head, it is stress, a virus,etc. I had to insist upon being seen time after time. Finally they sent me to a GI for tests and I have had just about every test done and been to several GIs. And it seemed as if they just gave up and said you have IBS and they basically told me there was nothing they could do for me. The GIs only offered basic advice. They said no chocolate, no caffeine, no alcohol and no fried foods. I told them dairy really seemed to give me a problem as well as the other things they mentioned. They said they didn't know why because dairy does not effect IBS. I also found out through these test that I have acid reflux and a hyiatal hernia. And the GI who found these things said the acid reflux and hernia might have caused the IBS or may irriate the IBS or the IBS may have caused them. He said he really wasn't sure. Since then I have been on Nexium for the acid reflux which the doctor said would also help my IBS. NOT! It barely helps the reflux although it is better then without Nexium. And I panic everytime my husband and I venture out to a friend's house or a restauraunt or anywhere else I don't know where the bathroom is or am not comfortable using the bathroom there. (which is just about everywhere but my house) I have to go to work and I stress out everytime I feel an attack coming on and think that I might have to go D in the restroom at my work, and I know stress doesn't help.

So anyway, that is my background now to my questions? First, I purchased Heather's cookbook and have been following the diet for a week. I had to do just safe foods such as pretzels for a few days to stabilize enough to eat anything else b/c I was going through a really bad period of attacks. Then I started the diet and taking two fiber pills a day (citrucel). Immediately from day one I felt much better and actually had a normal BM the second day and no D for the whole week. Then today I had a really horrible day and have run to the bathroom at least 20 times. I have been following the diet strictly so why all of sudden an attack? Doesn't the food you eat trigger an attack? And if I am not eating those foods then why an attack? And does anyone know of a good primary care physician or GI in Maryland? Because my doctors have told me there are no medicines to treat the symptoms of IBS, but I have been reading some of the postings and it seems there are meds that help. I have been popping 3 Immodium AD a day just to have some normalcy. It doesn't completely stop the D everyday but it does limit my trips to the bathroom greatly. But I don't know if that is healthy either. I feel like a pharmacy I take so many pills. I am taking a daily vitamin, a calcium supplement, Nexium, 3 Immodium ADs, 2 Citrucel, and usually 2 Ibuprofen (because I keep getting these migraines). And I am wondering if all this is healthy or just helping to irritate my stomach.
Sorry for all the rambling but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question on the IBS DIet new
      #92381 - 07/22/04 03:22 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't answer all your questions, but I think I can help in a spot or two. Welcome, by the way!

Speaking from personal experience, it takes a while to get truly stable. I'm SO glad you were able to get a few days of relief, but I'm not *too* surprised that you had a bad attack after that. I've been on the diet 7 weeks and although I've seen some improvement as I've increased my soluble fiber supplement and changed my diet, I'm far from being stable yet. If you're taking 2 Citrucel capsules a day, that's only 1g of fiber - not enough to get you stable and curb the attacks. Don't worry! Increase the fiber slowly (and keep watching your diet!!), and stability will happen. It just takes patience (as I'm finding out, sigh!).

Daily vitamins do bother some people, but I'm not exactly sure what in them triggers, so I'll let someone else cover that one. Advil is DEFINITELY an irritant... for your stomach, and for the IBS. If you're taking them every single day, that could be a contributing factor.

I hope that started to be kinda maybe a little helpful. I'm sure others will be along with more advice!

#92400 - 07/22/04 05:23 PM
Tissy

Thank you for the advice. I am not sure when to start increasing the fiber because I don't want to increase the D. The 2 Citrucel a day doesn't seem to bother me, except today. But I don't know if that was the Citrucel. Thanks for the encouragement.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Question! new
      #92403 - 07/22/04 05:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I may have missed it in your initial post, but how long have you been taking the citrucel?

As long as my SFS (I use FiberChoice) isn't bothering me, I increase it every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. You might notice a little D or gassiness the day you increase (I did, when I was using citrucel), but don't panic if that happens - you'll be better the next day, and working up to a higher dose (slowly!) is a huge benefit in the long run.

Re: Question! new
      #92482 - 07/23/04 06:34 AM
Tissy

I have only been taking the citrucel for about 2 weeks. I will try next week to bump it by one more citrucel a day and see how that goes.

Thanks,
Christie

--------------------
Christie

#92505 - 07/23/04 08:09 AM
Tissy

Before I read that peppermint can cause heartburn I used to eat peppermints after dinner b/c it seemed to make my stomach feel better as far as the IBS but I do think it worsens the heartburn. But I am going to stick to the IBS diet b/c it actually did help the IBS and heartburn for a few days before this recent attack happened. Maybe after awhile I can stop taking the Nexium ( it is expensive and the insurance company gives me a fit everytime I need a refill) and be able to drink peppermint tea for the IBS. Thanks for your advice kme.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

#92612 - 07/23/04 01:40 PM
DianeU

Reged: 07/02/04
Loc: Iowa

Tissy,

Hang in there...I have suffered with IBS-D for 20 years. I am working at this diet or I should say a new way of life over the past couple of weeks and I am starting to do better. I have been SLOWLY adding SFS every day. I am taking Acacia and I am almost up to 2 Tablespoons a day, which I think amounts to 9 grams of fiber. What kind of calcium supplement are you taking? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Calcium carbonate is what you want to take if you suffer from IBS-D and Calcium Citrate is for IBS-C since it has magnesium in it. Also, some people can't tolerate a calcium supplement at all. Vitamins depending on what is in them can also cause problems for people with IBS.

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with gastritis. The doctor had me on Nexium and it didn't help me at all so I stopped taking it. I take Pepcid off and on, but with me changing the way I am eating is helping me the most!

Diane

#92615 - 07/23/04 01:54 PM
Tissy

DianeU

I looked at my Calcium supplement and it says it is calcium carbonate. I was not aware that you should take one kind of calcium supplement over the other if you were either C or D. Thanks for the info. I was also unaware that some IBSers can't take vitamins or calcium supplements. I started the IBS diet and kept up with my vitamin and calcium supplements b/c I don't want to miss any vitamins or calcium in my diet. My heartburn has gotten better for the week that I have been on the diet but it hasn't gone away. Maybe soon I can give up the nexium. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

You're not taking enough Citrucel to do anything at all... new
      #92640 - 07/23/04 03:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

seriously, just one gram a day is kind of pointless. And for some reason, the Citrucel caps just plain don't work for some people. All of the other powders and caps do, so you might try Citrucel powder or Fibercon tablets instead. You should be taking that one gram dosage three times a day - and that's still pretty low. Increasing it will not cause diarrhea - that's not how soluble fiber supplements work. If you're stable, and you increase your soluble fiber supplement, it will not turn stability into constipation or diarrhea, it will just keep you stable.

I'd switch to a powder and gradually increase your dose - that should really help you a great deal.

Also, if peppermint tea helped you but it causes heartburn, try fennel tea instead. Oh - and since you have reflux, avoid all SFS with citric acid. Acacia and Benefiber are plain options.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: You're not taking enough Citrucel to do anything at all... new
      #92769 - 07/24/04 09:50 AM
Tissy

Heather,

Thank you for the advice. I find out everyday some of the things I am doing wrong just by reading the postings and posting questions of my own. But hopefully I will figure this thing out soon. I also saw another posting from atomic rose (I think) that said she can do 1 cup of peppermint tea a day w/ her reflux. I think I will try this b/c the peppermint really seemed to help me. Anyway thanks again for the advice. I am going to go get some Acacia or Benefiber.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Yes, do try peppermint... new
      #92781 - 07/24/04 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

some folks with reflux tolerate it just fine, and it is so terrific for IBS. If you can't take it, try fennel or chamomile or anise instead - they'll all help. If you check the IBS Supplements section of the site (link is on left side of page) you'll see a whole area about herbs as medicine for IBS that will give you good info.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

GI in MD new
      #92952 - 07/25/04 01:38 PM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Christie,
Here is a website www.acg.gi.org that has a listing of GI's by state. I hope this helps you.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Re: GI in MD new
      #92968 - 07/25/04 05:53 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

Dr. Linda Lee (Towson area) is a doctor to check out. She used to be with Hopkins. I haven't seen her in awhile, but have found her to be much better than some others I've seen.

I've read the other responses to your post and also recommend peppermint and fennel tea. Another post recommended Altoids for peppermint, which I've tried too. Like you, I'm an A. I take the calcium pills, drink tea each day, and take acacia twice a day, along with the diet. I've had IBS for several years, but it really acted up after a miscarriage and doing these things, along with Heather's diet, has really helped. Good luck!

#92969 - 07/25/04 06:41 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Christie,

I see a lot of people have answered you back. But I have one thing to add. You mention you keep getting migraines, and I have had migraines since i was in the 8th grade and my IBS did not develop until my last year in college. Anyway, my migraines got worse when I went on the IBS diet, because although I did not know at the time.....soy is a migraine trigger for some people. Also, advil (Ibiprofen) is hard on the stomach and the doctor said I needed to only take Tylenol (acetaminophen) because it is the easiest on the stomach. My migraines get so bad that I get really nausiated (however you spell that). I would throw up or end up having all migraine painkillers hurt my stomach. I now use Zomig Nasal Spray. It takes my migraine away without upsetting my stomach..because you squirt it into your nose. Unfortunately the IBS diet is great for my stomach and I am so glad I found it, unfortunately I have to avoid all the recipes that use soy because of my headaches.

angela

You should read Heather's other book new
      #92996 - 07/25/04 08:44 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I find it to be just as helpful maybe even alittle more so than the cookbook. It talks about meds., treatments, alternative therapies, etc. I am also a very anxious person for the very same reason you are and I've had several weeks of great days. If you click on my name I have updated my personal profile to include my meds. I also listen to the ibs cds which have help alot, but I feel I needed to see a therapist and am just starting. I feel like I am almost to the top this gigantic anxiety mountain, ready to coast down, I just need one big push! And before my husband found Heather's book I was crying almost everyday barely leaving the house. You might also try searching about pregnacy/childbirth and ibs, I remeber reading several posts not too long.

--------------------
IBS-D

You don't have to avoid the recipes with soy, just use rice products new
      #93157 - 07/26/04 12:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

instead. There's rice milk, rice cheese, rice butter, rice ice cream...and also oat/almond milk and cheeses.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3096

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review