All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No Caffeen... Now what?
      #9194 - 05/16/03 07:42 AM
Kristy GAO

Reged: 05/12/03
Loc: Washington, DC

I was recently diagnosed with IBS after suffering for 5 years and having doctors tell me it was in my head. The thought that what I was eating was making me sick never crossed my mind until a friend recommended Heather's book. I have been following the diet now for about 2 weeks and it is working beautifully. I feel the best I have in years!

BUT, what do I do when I'm dragging and need a pick-me-up. I used to drink tea or coffee or even soda but all three are no longer an option so is there a good substitute???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No Caffeen... Now what? new
      #9199 - 05/16/03 08:19 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

There are some posts on here about coffee substitutes that you may want to search for. I use a type called Raja's Cup and it is pretty good. It is an herbal drink that has a coffee "like" taste.Of course it is not the same, but caffeine is a big problem for us IBS sufferers! I am glad to hear that Heather's book has been helping you. It is great! Good luck and hope that you find a good coffee sub!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#9211 - 05/16/03 10:27 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! Just last weekend, I went to a baseball game, and they flashed this heatlth tip. Something about the caffeine high comes fast, but the low lasts longer? Anyway, it said stop caffeine and see if you don't start to have more energy. How long this should take, I have no idea. But, I will see if I can find something, or maybe someone else knows.

Glad to hear you are feeling better since following the diet!

Re: Try green tea! new
      #9255 - 05/16/03 03:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried green tea? Herbal teas? I wonder about green tea because it is naturally high in caffeine - 1 cup has about 1/2 the caffeine that a cup of coffee does. You could switch to this and then wean your way down to decaf green tea. Caffeine withdrawal can be nasty - I would ease it down. Green tea is full of antioxidants and will help give you energy. Other herbal teas offer the same benefits.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Try green tea! new
      #9265 - 05/16/03 06:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

This is a good idea! Plus, there are lots of kinds of green teas, and some are quite high in caffeine but others are quite low, so you could start with the green tea powder (macha, which is high) and then work your way down to something like the whole leaf green tea, which is lower. You could also start combining green tea with an herbal like peppermint, which would reduce the caffeine and give you the benefit of the IBS help peppermint provides. I believe the Republic of Tea actually makes a peppermint green tea combo...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Caffeine Substitute new
      #9783 - 05/23/03 10:34 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Kristy,

You may not like this at first, but it works for me when I'm sitting at my desk and dragging. It works just like caffeine for me. It only works while you're connected though, so it probably won't be good for dial-up people. It helps to have good speakers (or headphones if you're in a cube farm), but I suppose bad speakers will work too.

Go here and select the Trance option according to your connection. Your first instinct will probably be to turn it off, but if you're really desperate for some adrenalin, at least give it a shot. Oh, and it's totally legal and free. I can't say whether it's better for IBS than caffeine, but that's for you to decide.

Good luck - I know how you feel giving up caffeine, but if you're like me, you won't miss it after a few weeks.

sperry_twiggins

#9839 - 05/23/03 07:30 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi I quit caffeine about a month 1/2 ago and I don't know when you're supposed to get more energy, but I still don't have that much. I was talking with a friend and she went to Nutters and they gave her Greens it's in a powder form. You mix it with juice or shake. It's helping her so off I go to get some, because I really need energy.
Georgette

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review