All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Diet and calcium
      #90532 - 07/15/04 04:07 PM
Aileen

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Halifax, NS Canada

Hi there! I just found this forum and w ebsite about IBS and I'm hoping for some advice? I was reading the FAQ's about the diet and I don't know how to keep up the calcium in my diet if I eliminate dairy altogether. I'm also concerned about soy if it can contribute to bloating because that is a HUGE factor for me. I'm not 100% sure I have IBS but my Doctor thinks I might so I wanted to find out more information. Thanks very much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Diet and calcium new
      #90535 - 07/15/04 04:12 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hello Aileen and welcome! I'm glad you asked this question as I have been wondering this same thing too. I am a C and calcium can contribute to it. At this point I've just been buying the Enriched Rice Milk because it has extra the same amount of calcium as dairy milk in it.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#90546 - 07/15/04 04:43 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome from me too!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#90606 - 07/15/04 07:11 PM
Aileen

Thanks everyone and hi back! I will have to try rice milk - do you like the taste of it??? When I looked at the list of trigger foods tonight I couldn't believe I had consumed so many of them in the past few days...no wonder I look like I'm carrying a basketball. My Dr. gave me Dicetel to try and calm things down but what I found from that gave me D and the bloating is still bad. I guess you can tell I'm a newbie! I would really like to control this only with diet so I don't have to take any medication.

#90613 - 07/15/04 07:45 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Why don't you try a calcium supplement? A vitamin with calcium in it. I think calcium in dairy isn't actually beneficial to us, anyway, that there's something in the dairy that breaks it down and prevents our bodies from absorbing it properly...something like that, anyway.

#90715 - 07/16/04 06:42 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hi and welcome!

I use fortified soy milk, which has as much calcium as dairy milk, but I have to say that I don't drink a lot of it. What I do instead is take a calcium/magnesium supplement tablet (called CalSnack - tastes like a creamsicle...a very dry creamsicle.. ).

Note that if you tend towards C, you must make sure that you get enough magnesium because calcium is constipating. The ratio you should aim for is twice as much calcium as magnesium - this is what's in Calsnack, BTW.

Also, if you read Heather's books, you'll see where she notes that reducing the amount of animal protein in your diet helps you retain more calcium!

--AC

#90719 - 07/16/04 06:47 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi, I don't know much about the calcium thing, but I can't cope with soy milk, kills me, I find rice milk (vanilla) just fine and it tastes better than soy milk (I think). It's lighter, soy tends to be heavy and makes me bloat. As for the bloating thing, that is my biggy, and I mean biggy! Dicatel didn't work very well for me, my doc. has put me on the new drug zelnorm Now that is a good one! It has really helped with my bloating. You can't take it if you have D though. Neeta

#90879 - 07/16/04 12:12 PM
Aileen

Hey there! Thanks for the info on the supplements and I'll definitely look into it and the rice milk. I have to order these books that I see on here eh? My Dr. tells me she's not 100% sure if it's IBS and is sending me for an ultrasound. However I don't want to go through this bloating and cramping anymore. I don't like this Dicetel drug. It's giving me heartburn and when I read the side effects they seem almost like the symptoms! Has anyone else found that? I would really like to just adjust my diet and hoping everything is ok. Cheers!

Dicetel new
      #90888 - 07/16/04 12:28 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...

I was on Dicetel for a couple of months as well and found that it really didn't do anything for me at all!! So I went off it and my doc prescribed another antispasmodic called Modulon. I've been on that for almost 4 months now and I have to say that I have never felt better!!

I still eat very carefully and follow Heather's diet (although I find I can cheat a little bit now and again and I tend not to pay for it)....and I still take Acacia twice everyday.

For me it's a combination of the Modulon, the acacia and diet that seem to work best for me....

Maybe try the Modulon and see how you do? I had no bad side effects from it except that it made me a little loopy at first. The loopiness wears off after a while though (and I have to admit...I really didn't mind it all that much...hahaha)....

Hope this helps!!

No worries.... new
      #90897 - 07/16/04 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

dairy is actually NOT good for your bones, and reducing it from your diet will only help with that concern. Check the IBS diet section under triggers, where there's a whole explanation of how dairy actually causes a net calcium loss from your body. Might also search the board for past posts on this topic, with no time restrictions, and look for mention of the Harvard nurse's study which has great research info about this.

And welcome!!

Oh - and for the bloating, try lots of strong fennel tea and maybe peppermint caps too. And check the yoga section for poses that help relieve bloating/gas.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review