Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather, could you clarify for us...
      #905 - 02/14/03 03:00 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather,
There has been a fair bit of discussion on the board about drinking water with/before/after your meal.

Could you clarify for us what the best thing to do is. I am trying to drink as much water as possible but now wonder if I am doing it at the wrong times and causing myself more problems.

Thanks,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, could you clarify for us... new
      #919 - 02/15/03 08:18 AM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I would like to know about this too, because I work during the day, and I get a 20oz. bottle of water and I'm usually done drinking it at least by noon, then i just go get me small cups of water for the afternoon. Sometimes I just get so water logged and I can't really keep going to the bathroom because I'm at work. Any help would be appreciated.

#922 - 02/15/03 09:41 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I drink tons of water during the day too!

I have to admit that when I first started doing so I would go to the bathroom every hour - but it does get better.
I have been told that when you first start drinking that much water - your body is cleaning out all the bad
stuff out of your system.

I have been drinking lots of water for about 3 weeks now - and it does get so that you go to the bathroom
less and less - you will eventually return to your normal schedule of bathroom breaks.

I drink water all the time - I have a water cooler I bought for home - and have the same on at work
(they already had one). I have never had a problem drinking cold water. But I guess everyones system is
different.

When I first started drinking lots of water I just explained to my manager that I am drinking lots of water and
she's actually the one that told me that it's cleaning out my system. I actually got very lucky though - because
my manager has IBS herself and is very understanding.

I have found that if I am honest about my problem - I didnt go into great detail but did tell them I was having
trouble with my diet - everyone is very understanding and helpful.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#936 - 02/15/03 07:09 PM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Hi
In reply to all of you drinking water: keeping drinking. Your system has probably been starved for water. As one person said, after awhile, your body adjusts AND you will actually get the feeling again of being thirsty.
Good luck

--------------------
Sue

#937 - 02/15/03 10:21 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I have heard that drinking too much liquid with a meal is bad because it dilutes the stomach acids and make it more difficult for the stomach to digest foods. I don't know if this was supposed to be a general rule, though, or if it is for people with ulcers or something like that. That's my two cents, anyway.

#1056 - 02/18/03 04:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I think it's just personal preference when you drink water, as long as you are drinking it throughout the day. And if you take a soluble fiber supplement, you definitely need a good glass of water with that.

Some folks do find that they prefer not to have a lot of water with a meal - in that case, just make sure you're drinking plenty at other times of the day.

I'd definitely agree with everyone else who posted that your body will adjust to the increase, and it will do better overall.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you Heather... new
      #1063 - 02/18/03 10:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I appreciate your answer,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 786 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3273

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review