All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My elimination diet (for those who asked for it)...
      #9046 - 05/14/03 11:14 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am hoping maybe this will help someone else on the board at some point! Here goes:

I began to feel better after going gluten free s little over 2 weeks ago. I still have bloating, but it's not nearly as bad. The pain has significantly decreased in frequency and strength. The burping and gas are also much better. BUT--it could be the hypnotherapy tapes? I have been continuing with them! My plan was to eliminate gluten 3-6 months and then add gluten back in. If I saw a negative difference, I would know the culprit, and if not then I would eat gluten again. I do know I have probs with dairy (lactaid free milk and lactoste tablets don't help), pasta, bread (even my husband's plain french bread with no oil and no eggs--just yeast, a drop of sugar, flour and water), corn, soy, applesauce, (both sweetened and unsweetened), citrucel, food coloring/additives (any candy that is colored is a problem), anything with Matzah meal in it, chicken seems to be a prob (I have to try it once or twice more before I can put it on the don't eat list), cranberry sauce from a can, honey (we buy the Shaw's pure honey--no nutritional info. is on the label), matzah (VERY gassy), oatmeal (which I LOVE), rice milk (it gives me bumps), soy milk of any brand/flavor, (even a soy derrivitive is a problem), ketchup, mustard, vinegar (I am planning to try different types--so far clear vinegar is a prob), orange juice, soy sauce, tuna from a can (which contains soy), and bananas (makes my tongue tingle). The symptoms I get from the foods that are a problem range from tingling tongue (I get this with bananas, strawberries, pineapple, coconut, and mango), to bloating, pain, gas, and even a bit of nausea. I know I CAN eat potatoes, (I only eat them baked, plain, or is soup, pureed--russet organic, white sweet potatoes organic, and sweet potatoes organic are all fine), Jasmine rice, Lundberg rice cakes (I can't eat Shaw's rice cakes for some reason--they make me gassy), kasha, fresh salmon, and that's it so far. (I began this strict elimination diet about 2.5 weeks ago). It's also interesting that I've noticed certain foods are ok from the whole food market, and not from the regular grocery store! Also, I can only eat Jasmine rice from one company at the moment--I still have another comapny to try. Minute instatn rice of all kinds seem to upset my tummy. I can only eat rice that is not pre-cooked! Just a note: everyhting I eat is plain--the only thing I add occasionally is salt (I had to buy Kosher salt because most salt contains a corn derrivitive in it). I also had to discontinue my probiotics as they contain maltodextrin--corn!

It definately seems like diet plays a BIG role in this for me. Also, I notice problems right away after I eat something typically. Like, a few bites after I would eat pre-cooked rice, the gas and bloating started as I was eating! My questions: Is this normal for IBS? Is it possible to have such specific food problems from IBS? My mom thinks it might be an ulcer--but I don't get stomach pain without eating. In fact, in high school I ate very little and my symptoms were very mild (I just got a little gassy--the pian was better and the bloating I kept at bay by eating next to nothing). On Friday nights for Shabbos, I would drink grape juice and eat tow pieces of Challah (egg bread), and that was enough to start my tummy doing flip flops. I'd have a sliver of apple pie, and I was done! This was my whole dinner! I knew it would upset my tummy every time I did it--but it was so yummy I didn't care!!! LOL It's a custom to eat these foods every Friday night (I haven't been having either recently). Fruit juices are also a killer for me! But it doesn't take more than a few sips to get me in bad shape.

I hope this info. is helpful if not just interesting! I've been working very hard to figure out what I can/can't eat--and I fianlly feel like I'm getting somewhere. I just wish I knew what this all means! I wish I could piece it all together and say "This is what I have" and get on with my life. I know I will be able to do this at some point--hopefully the next doc I go to (I have an appointment with a new GI for Monday), will be able to help me solve this mystery. I've been battling with my stomach since I was 5 years old...almost 20 years now...so I'm anxious to move on! It's been rough, and there are days I don't know how I got through...all the frustration, tears, pain, anxiety, etc.! But one day I'm gonna come on this board and say "I made it!"

Sorry to ramble on and on--I guess I got carried away *blushing* Thanks so much for listeing and for caring!

I hope that everyone is feeling good and getting somewhere with their individual battles! I love you all!

((((hugs))))

Ruchie

Sincerely,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My elimination diet (for those who asked for it)... new
      #9050 - 05/14/03 11:51 AM
coragrace03

Reged: 05/13/03
Loc: MA.

Hi again! I just read your elimination diet. Oh my! Please bear w/ me here. Like I said, I've been going thru this for about 8 yrs. I have a big problem w/ food though. I eat mostly EVERYTHING. Thats why I'm always in so much pain. I'm totally admitting that I'm a food addict and I need to stop because the pain is just too much to handle. Sorry to unload. I guess I just need to figure out a way to learn how to eat to KNOW what my trggers are. All I know so far are milk products. Any helpful hints?
Thank you so much,
Cora

Re: My elimination diet ...Cora new
      #9051 - 05/14/03 12:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Cora,

It's great to hear from you!!!

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!

I've done some reading on elimination diets--but I'm by no means an expert. I probably should be doing this with a doc--and I will starting next Monday (I'm starting with a new GI)--but my doc wasn't working out--so I began this on my own. I would def. talk to your doc!!!

Keep a diary! Write down what you eat, when you eat it, how much (1 cup of rice), what brand (minute rice for example), and how you felt afterward. Maybe trying eating one thing at one meal per day (say dinner) and then you'll be better able to tell if that food is a trigger or not. BUT...IBS means the food you ate at lunch might still be bothering you at dinner AND stress etc. can effect the way you feel in your tummy SO...

If you have IBS it's tough to pinpoint triggers. I suggest you eat small meals often throughout the day. Start with basic, plain foods. Potatoes, rice, rice cakes, pasta, french bread, pretzels--if you know you can eat these things. Also, maybe plain chicken breast--organic is best. Write down everything in the journal/food diary. This will help you to look back at what was ok/not ok...and it will give your doc something to work with too!

If htis isn't clear, or you have any questions, please write me back! Again, I'm not a doc...you may want to talk to your doc about this first...but keeping a diary won't hurt whether you change what you eat or not!

I hope you get to feeling better soon...thanks for writing me!

((hugs))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9058 - 05/14/03 01:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Cora - Here's a link to some dietary info that should help you find your triggers pretty quickly - web page

And yes, dairy is a big one!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather, thanks.... new
      #9072 - 05/14/03 05:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for stepping in here Heather!!! How do you include a link in a message you post to someone? I'm not computer savvy...so bare with me Thanks again Heather!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9074 - 05/14/03 05:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - including a link is easy!
When you're typing your message, you'll see a little blue box beneath the typing window. The box is titled Instant UBB Code. Just click on the URL link there and a window will pop up. Paste in the webpage address you want to include in your message, and hit the enter key. The window will then ask for a title for the page. The default title is "web page". You can just hit the enter key again to accept that title, or type in something new if you like. When you're done, you'll see the html code has been placed in the message you're typing.

That's all there is to it!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9076 - 05/14/03 05:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Wow! It sounds like even I can do that! Thanks Heather...

((hugs))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9080 - 05/14/03 06:36 PM
coragrace03

Reged: 05/13/03
Loc: MA.

Thank you so much Heather. I really appreciate you and Ruchie taking the time out to help me!
Cora

Ruchie--possibly helpful book new
      #9206 - 05/16/03 09:58 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Ruchie,
I have a book called _Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Natural Approach_ by Rosemary Nicol. I'm not sure what I think of the book as I haven't finished it yet, but it DOES include a complete elimination diet plan developed by a doctor who treats IBS. It also includes a number of writing exercises and reminders about stress relief. In fact, it's got some really neat bits overall. But you might see if your library has it, just for the food info....
Amelia

Re: Ruchie--possibly helpful book new
      #9223 - 05/16/03 11:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks SOOOO MUCH...I'll have to check it out! How are you doing? I hope things are grat (did you finish school yet--how did your papers go)?

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5655 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review