All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
overweight
      #90 - 01/29/03 01:08 PM
marys

Reged: 01/29/03

I am an overweight IBS sufferer (had a bariatric doctor tell me that was impossible), but while I know the bread / potatoes / rice works, I keep trying to do weight-loss things like protein / veg / fruit, and run into trouble. How to reconcile?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: overweight new
      #91 - 01/29/03 01:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - I'm going to send you to this question in the faq - it's at http://www.eatingforibs.com/faq.htm

The third question down is "Won't eating all these soluble fiber foods make me fat?" You'll see detailed information when you click on that link. It is not difficult at all to follow the IBS diet, lose weight slowly and safely, and keep your IBS attacks at bay.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#101 - 01/29/03 02:27 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have been following Heather's diet since the end of Aug. I was student teaching at the time and really limited what I ate, but I lost @25 pounds. Actually, almost 30 pounds towards the end, but I was really stressed at the time and ate little to nothing, losing 5 pounds that week.
I had gained about 60 with my first daughter and I didn't start losing it until I had my second child. However, I lost more with this diet. Anyway, I hope this helps.

#115 - 01/29/03 04:49 PM
Jane

Hi Marys,
First of all, I hope you told your doctor that he is an idiot. I am and IBS-d, and you would think that with all the time I spend going to the bathroom, I would be skinny! I am struggling with 5 or 10 pounds that I would like to lose, and I think it would be SO EASY if I could just eat veggies! Lots and lots of veggies! But I can't. Unfortunately, the foods I can eat safely (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread) are the foods I can most easily overeat. Portion control is key. I have found that when necessary (like now!), I can follow the IBS diet while using the Weight Watchers Points system, and it is working well for me. If it's in your budget, you might want to visit a nutritionist, even if you only go once or twice. He or she will really be able to tailer an eating program specific to your needs. Good luck.
Jane

#122 - 01/29/03 06:12 PM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

I lost a noticable amount of weight after two months on this diet. My pants are all droopy and my friends and family comment on my size. I even spent several weeks eating almost nothing but the starchy, soluble fiber foods as I was trying to stabilize. I ate a ton of bread, pasta, graham crackers, and dry cereal, but they didn't make me gain weight. Did you see the link for the Atkins' diet article in the newsletter?

#123 - 01/29/03 06:51 PM
pamk

I lost 25 pounds on this diet as well! Mostly because I didn't really know how to cook. Ha! I've gained a few pounds back but I'm still at 120 lbs. Is it possible to gain alot of weight on this diet?
'

#236 - 01/31/03 03:49 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi - I've also been on Weight Watchers for almost 1-1/2 yrs (lost 44 lbs) and that's when my IBS started to really get me. I had lots of gas and a terrible feeling that I always had to go. No energy, etc. That's when I logged onto the web and found Heather. I still go to my WW meetings, but I revise their recipes to fall within Heather's guidelines and Heather's recipes to fall within my points for the day. For example, substituting the oil with applesauce or pureed babyfood prunes. I also cut down on the sugar amounts because I don't like things that sweet and it cuts down on the points as well. As for being thin and have IBS, I'm one person who is not thin after having IBS most of my life. Although I really never had it as bad as a lot of you, but I've had my share of diarrhea and constipation, but I also love to cook and eat.

If anyone needs me to convert recipes to WW, I'll be glad to help.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4138

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review