All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about the diet ....
      #89400 - 07/13/04 11:22 AM
Sweetypie

Reged: 07/12/04

I am planning on buying the book - but what I'm wondering is if the diet contains a lot of sugar?
I've read that diets that contain low fat, usually contain high sugar - because they are replacing the fat with sugar.

Thanks
sp

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about the diet .... new
      #89410 - 07/13/04 11:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The diet CAN contain a lot of sugar, but only if you let it, quite honestly. The basis of the diet is starches - soluble fiber - pasta, rice, bread, potatoes. You then add in lean white poultry, fish, and vegetables safely. Sweets and sugary things are optional.

A lot of commercial low-fat products are, yes, HEAVILY laden with sugar. Healthy Choice is a prime example of this; I can't eat any of their products without gagging, because they're SO ridiculously high in sugar. If sugars are a concern for you, just watch out for the sugar content in commercially-prepared products, and you should be fine.

Have you looked over the diet guidelines that are right here on the site yet? The information here coincides with what's in the books - it'll give you a good overview.

It's different when you're cooking at home... new
      #89436 - 07/13/04 12:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Commercial low fat foods do often jack the sugar content (because fat carries flavor, and sugar (and salt) are cheap ways to add flavor). It's totally different when you're in your own kitchen, because in that case you'll be replacing fat with other moisture-rich foods (applesauce in baking, for example, or veggie/chicken broths in savory dishes). Also, you'll find a lot of fresh and dried herbs, spices, and other seasonings used to add the flavor. One thing that IBS recipes are not (nor do they need to be) is boring and bland - they're just not greasy!

There are dessert recipes in Eating for IBS, and those do have sugar. You can either avoid those, reduce the sugar content if you wish, or just splurge with small quantities once in while.

But, the diet itself is not high sugar at all. Sugar is not a GI irritant or stimulant, so it doesn't tend to affect IBS one way or another. Which means you can have it if you want, or avoid it altogether. The IBS diet is certainly not relying on sugar for anything other than sweet treats.

You can also check out tons of recipes from the book in the "IBS Recipes" section of the site - just follow the diet and recipes link to your left.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 443

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review