All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
"H" move post to"All About Atkins" thread!
      #87085 - 07/06/04 06:58 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I did Atkins 10 years. Suffered horrible long boughts of constipation - used flaxseed (everything to help) for years - became dependent on it/after 5 years lost bowel function - straining straining bad bad bad...led to major vaginal and rectal prolapses!!!!...uterine prolapse (had to have hysterectomy cannot have children now!) plus enterocele, rectocele, cycstocele (look'em up you DON'T want these), just returned from MAJOR laparoscopic surgery to correct these prolapses. Just to be thin. Just to be thin? And on Atkins, always thinking about food, hungry, hairloss, bad breath, poor "bathrooming" habits/dependency on flaxseed-laxatives you name it...and yes, I ate the veggies...lost 20 pounds in 2 years, kept it off for 8 more...NOT WORTH IT NOT WORTH IT. Hospital bill totaled 18,000$$$ ---- people don't see the longterm problems...I was potassium, calcium deficient...yes, I took vitamins, had irritability, depression and anxiety about my health deterioration...lost YEARS to this obsession. PLEASE. Don't start. I DIDN'T HAVE IBS BEFORE I STARTED ATKINS.
The dehydration alone (first week) is not healthy - screws with your blood pressure (dangerously low after YEARS of dieting this way)...lost appetite eventually just ate eggs, salad and cheese - this is NOT a life. I know, doesn't happen AT FIRST to everyone this way - but please...learn from my story. Learn now and save your insides, your wallet and your LIFE. I now considered myself "Atkins-recovered" and predict there will be many more of us to come once people see the light. I NOW eat a LOW GI/High soluable fiber diet to save my health, my life and my colon and guess WHAT? I WEIGH LESS NOW THAN WHEN I WAS ON THE ATKINS DIET!!! And do I even CARE - NO! YES I GET ALL THESE "GOOD" CARBS AND I FEEL GREAT AND AM HEALTHY AND FINALLY HAVE MY BODY/BOWELS/BREATH AND YES, HAIR BACK!!!! Thanks!!!

Edited by sweetpea (07/06/04 07:03 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - please post under Atkins Diet new
      #87089 - 07/06/04 07:02 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Great post, sweetpea. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you for sharing that, and... new
      #87093 - 07/06/04 07:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Wow. I can't believe you managed to do the diet for 10 years! I killed my insides eating like that for about 2 months. I can't even imagine...

Sorry to hear about everything you've been through, but SO glad to hear you're doing so much better! Wonderful!!

Re: Heather - please post under Atkins Diet new
      #87094 - 07/06/04 07:08 PM
Hypnogal

Thanks. Every awful word is true. I hid my obsession with low carb dieting for years. I denied it all along. Now I feel at peace and honest with myself and everyone else. Most of all I have made peace with my body...and few people can say THAT. Thank GOD and Heather and all of you for this website. I had the courage to change after my surgery and I won't go back to LC ever. It pains me to see the media hype it all up like this. 10 years down the road these people will have troubles. Very very sad. Weightloss is NOT everything. In fact it is almost NOTHING in light of what can be LOST trying to achieve it. Everything I need...I already have. And yes, I need even my FAT too...ha ha - it is all me and it is all OKAY. Love yourself - save yourself - and eat properly...you deserve it. Okay - now off my HIGH horse!

Re: "H" move post to"All About Atkins" thread! new
      #87116 - 07/06/04 08:15 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi Sweetpea,

I was wondering what low GI high soluable fiber foods there are. I only ask because my GI thinks that I might have an insulin sensitivity - kind of like diabetese of the colon- and he has me on low GI carbs to control my insulin surges. It seems that all of the foods that are low GI are also High insoluable. What foods are low GI and soluable?

Thans for your help

--------------------
Dana

Try barley, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and new
      #87150 - 07/06/04 10:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

other root veggies. Quinoa is a good grain too. Not sure what the GI of mangoes and applesauce is, but they'd be good soluble fiber options. Also - remember that you can always add something (like a drizzle of flax oil, or some protein source from fish or skinless chicken breasts) to the higher GI foods like potatoes or French bread, and that will really lower the total glycemic effect.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

No need to move - this is a great post in its own right, so thank you! -nt- new
      #87151 - 07/06/04 10:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No need to move - this is a great post in its own right, so thank you! -nt- new
      #87181 - 07/07/04 05:50 AM
Hypnogal

Yes and yes.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

http://www.blogdom.org/archives/000499.php

key word - mendosa and gi - look at he GI/GL food chart list/see left side of screen -
(see bananas underipe - raw apricots - LOOK AT GL LAST COLUMN not GI!!!) Carrots are NOT high GL. Enjoy

First there ARE many foods that have a low-moderate gi specifically BECAUSE they DO contain alot of soluable fiber. Soluable fiber slows digestion - thus LOWERING the GI of the food.

And, Heather is right, add a little peanutbutter(has soluable in it) or a healthy fat (not much) and the GI of the meal (the Glycemic Load they call that) reduces even further. Another trick, add lemon juice or any type of vinegar to ANY food/meal and lower the GI by a whopping 30%!

How will you KNOW if you just ate a LOW GI/GL food/meal? Well, first you'll notice that you get full fast due to the soluable fiber- then you'll notice that you STAY full longer because the food is absorbed at a much slower rate - protecting you from sudden changes (huge highs and lows) in blood sugar --- THIS is what controls the appetite. Get it?

So WHICH FOODS are low gi/high soluable fiber? Well hold your horses, if you are trying to LOW CARB it and eat only foods that have no-minimal effect on gi - forget that. You are going to have to eat some carbs to get the soluable fiber...but you don't have to eat HIGH GI carbs (white bread/mango-papaya (yes heather very high gi)/white potatos or rice (the highest gi) - no way!

Here's my list. (does not include everything!) and foods on the list either have EQUAL amounts of s to is fiber or MORE s fiber to is fiber. Yes, I checked the books/charts regarding exactly how much is to s fiber in each food and although they did vary, they were very similar in the estimates. Now these foods are lowER gi - generally 50 or below - and there are certain beans that are very HIGH in insoluable fiber...use Heathers TIPS.

But the GLYCEMIC LOAD is the most important thing. At the bottem are the OTHER healthy foods that I add to these to get adequate protein, calcium and fat. Enjoy.

this list: low to moderate gi/gl that include some to lots of insoluable fiber.

Raw carrots, mushroom, brocolli-brussels-cauliflower
Grapefruit(tangerine/oranges), apricots (fresh/dried), gs apples(pulp), dark green banana (not sure,information is changing on this as we speak-now known to be low gi if green!)
Old fashioned oatmeal/bran, rice-cornbran (I think), barley, NOT SURE ANYMORE IF LOW GI - I cook al dente (firm) and if you do THAT then I think very low gi for - enriched durum fettucini, vermicelli, star pastina, ww pasta.
Peas, lentils and beans.
Sourdough, white pita bread and pumperknickel
Natural peanut butter

------------------------------
this list: some very low gi/high insoluable-I eat these limited WITH soluable always. Not a comprehensive list.

strawberries, cherries
tomato, lettuce, cucumbers
Eggbeaters
Extra lean chicken and fish (tuna-haddock-cod), nonfat milk / nonfat plain yogurt
whole wheat pasta
stone ground ww pita/bread
peanuts / sesame seeds
Canola or peanut oil
Hellmans mayo
Stevia, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar
Lowfat string or parmesan cheese

you can make your own list. look at Low GI/GL material on the web...write down your favorites, then look up 'soluable fiber foods' on the web and you'll see...they are out there.

MY CHALLENGE TO YOU? Lets continue this thread and ADD even MORE LOW-MOD GI/GL foods to this list!!! Are you game? I believe many people WANT to do this diet for IBS but eat too many HIGH GI/GL carbs/meals and gain weight - and even though they get enough soluable fiber the HIGH GI/GL value of the meal actually overrides the fiber effect and (perhaps) the soluable fiber effect is not enough in THIS SITUATION - to effectively control the appetite? Just my guess.

So what did I eat yesterday? Check it out.

Bowl oldfashioned oatmeal with peanutbutter and a grapefruit (acidic food like that lowers the GL of the meal)
stevia.

2 slices sourdough bread (the acidity of the "sour" lowers the gi of the bread) with tuna fish + lemon juice in that too - mayo (not much), 1/2 apple (lots of soluable fiber here plus the good insoluable -need some!) and carrot sticks. nonfat milk (calcium)

snack - dried apricots and string cheese (calcium)

dinner - Lean chicken with barley and mushrooms/sprinkle of parmesan (soluable and very low gi!), salad - oil/vinegar(insoluable) but eaten last. Dessert? Nonfat plain yogurt/very low gi - easy to digest (lactose) and calcium!

Now its your turn!

Edited by sweetpea (07/07/04 06:38 AM)

Re: Sweetpea, I too suffered from the LC diet.... new
      #87277 - 07/07/04 11:17 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I truly believe the LC diet brought me to a severe case of IBS. Starting with A,changing to C, back to A... combined with meds I no longer take, I just could not go, all of the camping out in the bathroom, the pushing and straining...if I only knew then what I know now about H's diet, I might have been able to help myself. I am so blessed that my damage was not as extensive as yours, you poor girl. I recently had abdominal (not Lapro.) surgery to correct a prolapsed intestine. This was a very difficult surgery to recuperate from, the first few days in the hospital were very ugly.....I am now 31/2 mo. post surgery and hoping the procedure takes hold. My doc told me I could loose it at any time, I can't live my days worrying about that, I just try to be as active as possible without hurting myself. I pray I never have to go through that again, I have heard stories though, my mom's friend had it done 3 times...OMGosh....that scares me.

Anyway, the weight thing is driving me nuts. At my biggest I was a size 20-22, now I am a 14, though with the bloating and C, I feel like I am still the 20-22 size. I simply cannot loose weight, I am going to study your post and if something doesn't break loose for me soon ......hehehe, I want to correspond with you on this diet you are following now.

Honey, you have really suffered. You sound like you are in a good place mentally, that is great!! Thanks for sharing your story......I really needed to read it. gayla

Re: Try barley, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and new
      #87306 - 07/07/04 12:32 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Oh, so that's why my GI has me take 1 flax oil cap with every meal. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Dana

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review