Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cream of Wheat?
      #8429 - 05/06/03 09:57 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi,
Is Cream of Wheat IBS safe? I at first thought it wasn't because of the wheat, but then realized it's "mushy" and doesn't have kernels in it so it's probably safe. Please let me know before I risk it and try it!

If it is IBS safe, is it as good for you as oatmeal? Are they interchangeable or is one better than the other? I have read that oatmeal is good for you because of the soluble fiber, and wanted to know if Cream of Wheat can be eaten in place of oatmeal and still have the same nutritional benefits?

Thanks,
Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is Cream of Wheat? new
      #8437 - 05/06/03 11:49 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I saw it being cooked on Everybody loves Raymond the other night but it is obviously a US thing as neither I or my family know what it is!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#8447 - 05/07/03 07:27 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Nabisco makes Cream of Rice and Cream of Wheat - I bought both and don't like either... must be an aquired taste!

Cream of Rice should be completely IBS safe - the only ingredient is granulated rice. It has no fat, 3g of protein and is listed as having no fiber, although most of my bags of rice say they have no fiber either and Heather says that is wrong.

I assumed that since Cream of Rice was so safe that Cream of Wheat would be as well, but I didn't read the label well enough. Looks like there is a tiny bit of milk in it. I can tolerate a tiny bit of dairy, so it didn't cause an attack. It has 1g of fiber, no fat and 2g of protein. Here are the ingredients: wheat farina, brown sugar, sugar, guar gum, salt, wheat germ, corn syrup solids, natural and artificial flavor (contains milk), caramel color, bht (to preserve freshness), mono- and diglycerides (emulsifier).

Hope this helps!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8451 - 05/07/03 08:43 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Thanks, H2, for the nutritional info. When I compared that info with oatmeal, it appears that while oatmeal has a more fat (3g), it also has more protein (5g).

I appreciate your help. Has anyone else eaten Cream of Wheat without problems?

Barb

#8459 - 05/07/03 10:20 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

H2 - Have you ever tried the Cream of Rice with diced mango & maple syrup? It was listed in Eating for IBS, so I wasn't sure if you saw it. I love it. Just in case you want to try it... Oh, and I also use vanilla soy/rice milk instead of water.

#8474 - 05/07/03 12:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't have a problem with Cream of Wheat, and most other IBS folks don't either...but a few do. Cream of Rice is safer.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8475 - 05/07/03 12:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kerrie - I think it's hilarious that you get US tv shows where they're cooking things you've never heard of. I met a great Australian couple a few years back when I was in the UK, and they had just visited the US. They said the entire time they were there they felt like they were living inside a tv show, because so much of their tv at home was American. To be surrounded by people speaking with American accents was just like being on tv. How surreal...

PS - You ain't missing all that much with the Cream of Wheat.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8479 - 05/07/03 12:59 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I have never tried cream of wheat, but let me just recommend Cream of Corn (aka Grits) lol. I cant tolerate oatmeal, but grits are to die for! (I get white hominy) They have .5 grams of fat and have 2 grams of fiber. I add lots of sugar and salt to mine, but even plain its lip lickin mm mm good

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#8495 - 05/07/03 03:00 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I didn't see that in the book, thanks Mags! I will give it a shot. I tried the plain Cream of Rice made with just water... I couldn't finish it. *gag*

I'll be the soy milk and fruit will make it tons better!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8520 - 05/07/03 05:56 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yeah, plain it's really just a big gooey bowl of bland mush...LOL I learned that the first time I made it. I knew there had to be a better way.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6446

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review