All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone else had trouble with fish?
      #83913 - 06/28/04 03:07 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

I've been on the diet for months now & have been feeling really well for the most part until this weekend. We were at camp and my SIL brought us swordfish steaks to grill. They were soooo good! I had two small steaks Saturday night (7:30 pm) after my SFS supplement and with rice, and one small steak Sunday for lunch after SFS & with rice. A couple of hours later it hit - bad nausea, gas, bloating and my stomach feeling like it had been hit with an anvil.

Looking back, I was a little gassy Saturday night. I should have realized then that swordfish might not agree with me but it tasted so good (almost like a real steak!) that I guess I just didn't want it too be true.

Anyway, it's back to work today, feeling lousy. I'd appreciate any reply's to this as I'm curious if it's just me or if other's have had problems with fish other than "white fish".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone else had trouble with fish? new
      #83924 - 06/28/04 05:37 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Everyone can have their own food sensitivities. I not only don't like seafood, but found when I ate some, I felt extremely nauseous and felt horrible. I think it's part sensitivity and part dislike.
You might find that it just doesn't agree with you. Try different fish, shrimp, etc. and see if you react differently.With any luck, maybe it's just swordfish you're sensitive to.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Well, two possibilities I can think of.... new
      #83977 - 06/28/04 08:02 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Swordfish is a pretty high fat fish, so that may have been the problem. The other thing I can think of is that, unfortunately, swordfish is also pretty high in pollution contaminants like mercury. I'm really not sure if there would be enough in there to set off your IBS, but since so many IBS folks are really sensitive to chemical additives and such I wouldn't be surprised.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Kinda new
      #83980 - 06/28/04 08:13 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have problems with "richer" (fattier) fish in larger quantities. I find I'm ok if I just eat a little bit of it, but that's no fun when you want a honkin' big piece of salmon, heh.

#84005 - 06/28/04 09:18 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

kimmy i do preaty good with fish. now with tuna i do get sometimes sick for some reason. have you tried crab meat?
have you tried cooked shrimp? they both taste good and save to me so far. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#84136 - 06/28/04 03:37 PM
Kimmy

Hi Jasper. I haven't tried crab meat or shrimp since being on the diet, but will give it a try, in small quantities once I'm stable again.

Thanks for thanks for the reply!

Re: Kinda new
      #84141 - 06/28/04 03:44 PM
Kimmy

You hit the nail right on the head with that one! I got to greedy and look what happened! I think that I will try very small quantities of seafood once things get better like you, and yeah I would just love a honkin' big piece of salmon.

Thanks & have a good one!

Thanks Heather new
      #84145 - 06/28/04 03:52 PM
Kimmy

Now that you mention it, I've read about high mercury levels in some seafood. No more swordfish for me and any other seafood I have will be only occasionally and in small portions. Your diet has helped me tremendously!

Thanks again.

Kim

#84148 - 06/28/04 03:59 PM
Kimmy

Thanks for your reply. I will give other varieties of fish a try once things are good again. Hopefully it's just the swordfish.

Thanks again.

#84639 - 06/29/04 07:01 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I notice a bad reaction sometimes, but other times I am ok. I got sick off of catfish, so shy away from it, and my husband caught walleye and it did not agree with me either. I baked them both times, must be the breakdown of it that bothers my system.I love fish, but I only eat it once it awhile, for that reason. If I make tuna fish, in a macaroni salad, I am usually ok.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 999

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review