All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help - 4 months pregnant and misearable
      #8380 - 05/06/03 01:54 PM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

Hi. I'm new here and hoping you guys can help me out. Right now my spastic gut has me living on Ensure in a can. I alternate C and D, and I can't decided which is worse! Help!

Wolfie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help - 4 months pregnant and misearable new
      #8381 - 05/06/03 02:03 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wolfie,

Welcome! Have you been diagnosed with IBS? I don't think Ensure is an IBS safe food so if you have IBS, that might be one of the problems right there!

--------------------
Lorna

#8383 - 05/06/03 02:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Wolfie - Welcome! Use the "search" button to look for past threads on pregnancy, with no time restrictions on the search. HanSolo, one of the moderators, has a special interest in IBS and pregnancy and has lots of good info in past posts.

Also - Ensure could definitely be causing problems. There's fat and dairy in there.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8445 - 05/07/03 06:23 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Oh, you poor thing! I am 5 months pregnant right now so I can sympathize. Read through the threads and ask any questions (or vent if you need to). We're here for you. I can give you suggestions on what you can try eating if you're interested. Hugs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#8613 - 05/08/03 10:49 AM
Wolfie

I would love some suggestions. As to the Ensure question, it is about the only thing lately that doesn't make me sick. My doctor is telling me I have "spastic colon" brought about by the hormone surges going on right now, and that it will probably go away within a year of giving birth. A year! I'll starve to death by then!

#8614 - 05/08/03 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? That will really help stop those spasms and normalize bowel function. There's detailed info here web page

Also, try strong hot peppermint tea. It's a great muscle relaxant and even a painkiller, and it's safe during pregnancy.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8628 - 05/08/03 12:32 PM
Wolfie

Thanks! I love peppermint tea. I thought I couldn't have it until after the baby was born. Most fiber supplements, Mentamucil and Citrucel included, give me terrible cramps. I just bought some plain old powdered oat bran at the health food store. The nutritionist there told me that I could sprinkle it on cereal or rice pudding, or add it into a nice soy smoothie. I also got some Spiru-tein meal replacement powder (it's soy and almost totally fat-free) in place of the Ensure. Is it okay to have V-8 juice? She thought that might be helpful as well. Tomato products do not have any adverse affects on me, unless they have cheese on top.

#8699 - 05/09/03 06:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

what to eat when you can't eat anything This part of the website has a section at the end with lots of soothing food options. I found them VERY helpful - at least I could eat SOMETHING then. Try lots of peppermint tea, plain rice, ginger tea for nausea, and anything else on that page. If you can tolerate the ensure, then at least you are getting the nutrients you need. So don't worry about eating carefully for now - stick to the rice and foods on that page and see how you do. Are you Constipated or with Dirrarhea?
Take care! Let us know how you are doing!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review