All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wheat -is it really so bad for you?
      #828 - 02/13/03 11:02 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Just a quick question before I turn in...
Do most people have trouble with wheat (bread, pasta etc)? If so, what were your symptoms- diarrhea, constipation, cramps or bloating (or all four?!)
Claire

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wheat -is it really so bad for you? new
      #846 - 02/13/03 01:21 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Claire,

I hardly dare to admit it on this board, because wheat products feature so heavily in Heather's diet (as long as it's not whole wheat), but I definitely seem to have problems with it. I used to eat German 'Zwieback' all day long, because in Germany this is what you resort to when you've got a tummy problem. It's basically very fine double toasted white bread. Well, apparently it was one of my main triggers which I found out once I was so poorly I was down to only eating rice and these biscuits, and when I was too sick to eat even them anymore, I suddenly got much better!!!! I have been tested for gluten allergy in three different ways, and nothing. As I find that even the gluten free bread is giving me bloating and nausea, I assume it must be the starch. It is very depressing, because today a banana on an empty stomach has given me cramping. So, I can do Heather's diet only in a very restricted way... So I guess, when you've got a very oversensitive colon, wheat may be a problem.

Susanne

#847 - 02/13/03 01:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've been coming across some very interesting research on celiac (gluten intolerance) that suggests most of the current tests for this disorder have pretty high false positive rates. There are apparently quite a few people out there who really do have a gluten intolerance but their medical tests for this aren't showing it.

I'm going to try to find some on-line articles about this to post links to.

Trust your own body above all else!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#864 - 02/14/03 03:23 AM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Hi Claire,

yep, for me wheat seems to be my biggest IBS trigger. I get severe bloating, stomach cramps and bad D (but only in the mornings fortunately), interestingly since I've been off wheat I'm predominately IBS C. I can sometimes sneak dairy or chocolate and deal with the consequences okay, but it is never worth it for wheat, I don't think twice about it.

I've had tests for gluten intolerance which came out negative, but apparently the best test is a trial of going gluten free. I've heard that if you have got coeliac disease and stop eating it...the symptoms completely go away. For me I still had symptoms while completely gluten free, and I can now eat gluten containing products without a problem (ie rye and spelt).

I think it's only bad for some of us....but heather's diet fits in well with it.

Emma

Thanks for the replies.. new
      #869 - 02/14/03 05:34 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Thanks for your response Emma. I went through aperiod (which seemed like years but was probably about 9 months) of avoiding gluten and in particular Wheat products and didn't see any improvement in my diarrhea. I tried a low-carb diet abd became my local butcher's best friend, eating everything from lamb to turkey to guinea fowl to rabbit. That didn't improve things either and I had some awful attacks for a while. After discovering Heather's books I decided to try Wheat products for me which was a huge relief (though I was very worried about the possible consequences) as I could now walk into a bakery, here in Paris and actually ask for a baguette like everyone else. I have to say that personally, I have seen a real improvement and though I have noticed an increase in wind, I can live with that as before the wind was diarrhea.
I have to be careful now, not to overdo the baguettes (of which there are about 10 varieties in my bakery down the road -baguette ą l'ancienne, baguette de campagne, banette, flūte ...). I could eat them all day having deprived myself for so long. One thing I have to say is that I still hesitate in trying pasta as I seem to have some memories of horrific diarrhea afterwards. I also seem to have trouble with potatoes- anyone else?
Before I go, I also want to comment on how, here in France, compared to at home (England) IBS isn't talked about at all. I'(m sure it exists but there is no literature whatsoever. I'm not saying that the French have healthier digestive systems or aren't affected by stress (I think the French take the most anti-deppressants and calmants in Europe) but one healthy thing that the French do (or at least, healthy according to Heather's diet which I think is healthy too) is they always serve the main meal with a basket of baguette. They also often eat a salad in between the two or three courses and they definately take more time over their meals. I'm so lucky as for me, Heather's diet is really easy to follow. I simply nibble on the bread before the meal and it has worked every time. I have also been able to gain some much needed weight as now if I feel hungry, I can nip into a bakery. This was really difficult when I had cut out gluten.
Well, that's all for now,
Claire

Re: Thanks for the replies.. new
      #872 - 02/14/03 06:28 AM
UKKath

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Britain

Claire
I have found Heathers diet to work well with french bread, rice and bananas but not so well with pasta and potatoe, although i have only been doing it for two weeks maybe we have something in common there?!!
Kathryn

#958 - 02/16/03 11:09 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

I find both Heather's and Emma's replies really really interesting. IF I'm really gluten sensitive after all that would explain why I'm slowly moving into the direction of IBS C, too! And this after a LIFETIME of loose stools, long before I ever got IBS! I've started eating gluten free in November, and the first thing to go away was the morning urgency (I used to be a once per day morning trouble person, too). Very slowly, my bms would be getting later and later, I'd sometimes reach lunch time or even the evening. Since January, I've started skipping whole days, at first only after one of thoses sudden extra bms (which used to be D attacks), like once per week, but more and more now just like that, day on, day off. Amazing. I guess, if it weren't for my hormone problems, I'd even be much more down that line. I'm really intrigued!

Susaloh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review