All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Being Vegan
      #82384 - 06/23/04 11:28 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Hi Guys. I hope you are all doing well. I've decided to change to being vegan, which shouldn't be too hard since all Ineed to cut out is honey. I was just wondering if any of you are vegan/is it possible with the IBS diet? I printed out a bunch of stuff about how to get all your vitamins and stuff being vegan and lots of the foods they list are nuts or whole grains or dark green vegetables, bright fruits, etc. If I use soynut butter and I drink fortified soy milk, and I coook the veggies and use mango and papaya as the bright fruit, is that ok? How do I work in whole grains? Do I have to eat them after soluble fiber? I know this has probably been asked before. THank you so much for your help! Have a great day!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Being Vegan new
      #82403 - 06/23/04 11:56 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Tara! Can't help you with the vegan info, just wanted to say hi.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

No problem at all - do a board search for past posts.... new
      #82411 - 06/23/04 12:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and check the recipe board too! Check the IBS diet faq for info about the safest whole grains, incorporate things like miso and tempeh (fermented soy, which has lots of B vitamins), and make sure you're gradually adding plenty of lentils/beans to your diet so you can try to have those daily.

- H

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#82435 - 06/23/04 01:40 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

So funny that you posted about this today- I had a conversation with a coworker that I ultimately want to. I want to do it for the reasons of excersising willpower and self-discipline. Those are probably the wrong reasons, I must be becoming some kinda control freak. Well, I hope not!
I also feel really guilty eating chicken and egg whites, after I saw a pic of a chicken with its beak clipped (that's what egg farmers do to keep them from pecking each other in their small cages). Those and fish are the only things I would have to cut out.
I don't know if I could give up sushi! It is one of my favorite things, but I don't get to eat it too much (too expensive).
Good luck to you, and maybe one day I'll join ya- I want to make sure I get my health completely under control first though!

--------------------
-Sheri

#82463 - 06/23/04 02:43 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there. I am vegan and have been for many months now. It's not too hard although I still have yet to find a good non-dairy cheese substitute. I am constantly looking for new IBS-and-vegan-friendly recipes so if you have some good ones please let me know.

I don't have any suggestions just wanted to let you know there's another vegan on this message board area. Make sure you eat your share of protein and you might want to take a vitamin B12 supplement. I do.

good luck.

#82513 - 06/23/04 04:55 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hello, I'm not vegan but I am vegetarian and I try to limit my use of dairy/eggs. If you think about it, the IBS diet is similar to being vegan, like avoiding dairy and whole eggs. It's totally possible, and you don't need to eat whole grains unless you can handle them. I suggest getting a few easy vegan cook books for ideas. 2 that I have are "How it all vegan" and "Table for two", both are great Just subsitute white flour for whole wheat, or cut down on oil/margerine in recipes. You'd be surprised at how many vegan foods are out there...like a lot of times the store brand version of things will be vegan, since it costs more to put in dairy. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C

RICE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the stuff! new
      #82526 - 06/23/04 05:35 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Veg sushi! new
      #82568 - 06/23/04 07:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know it exists... and I know it's fantastic... because although I'm not currently vegan, I still won't eat sushi with fish in it.

I'm eventually going to go vegan again as well, I think - the only reason I'm not doing it right this second is that chicken seems to be one of the few things I can almost always tolerate, and I don't want to give it up just yet.

Hey LS, hope you are doing well! :-D new
      #82775 - 06/24/04 10:13 AM
tarabara04

--------------------

Re: No problem at all - do a board search for past posts.... new
      #82776 - 06/24/04 10:14 AM
tarabara04

Thanks so much, Heather! Now I don't feel like it'll be so difficult! Thanks so much! You're awesome!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3700 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2240

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review