All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starving and need help!
      #8207 - 05/03/03 06:27 PM
CindyLu

Reged: 05/03/03

I am being treated for IBS and what I assume is acid reflux. For the past two months, I have had diarrhea everyday except for two weeks. I am starving and one can only take the brat diet before they reach the point of lunacy! There are times that I just eat what I want and no matter what it is...It doesn't stick around very long. I am staying away from the red meat and greasy foods but I have to have my veggies and fruit. Can anyone help!? It would be very appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starving and need help! new
      #8209 - 05/03/03 06:41 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hear's some info that may help you get started: Break the Cycle, Soluble Fiber, & Soluble Fiber Supplements

Good luck!

#8214 - 05/03/03 08:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You poor thing!!!!!!! I think it's GREAT you posted on the boards...hope the info. Mags gave you helps!

I don't have D...but I am finding it hard to find what to eat, so we're in the same boat there. Try cooking your veggies really well and mashing them. They should be easier to digest that way. Can you eat potatoes? Baked potatoes (don't eat the peel) have lotsa soluble fiber (and they're yummy too)! Eat it plain at first. Also, plain french bread (no oil/eggs), is also great too! Bananas, rice and pasta are fabulous--all these foods should help you stabalize (unless of course you have probs digesting wheat/gluten). Gradually add things back into your diet once your stable (I'm sure all of this is in the info. mags sent ya)! I hope you stabalize soon!

This board is GREAT...there are tons of people here who are going through what you're going through...and ons of people who've gotten through it. I wish you luck and hugs! Keep posting!

Ruchie
Btw, what's the BRAT diet?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8215 - 05/03/03 10:08 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

The BRAT diet is bananas,rice, applesause,toast. At my work,(I work with young children), the doctors tell the parents BRATY diet. The y stands for Yogurt.

Karen

#8220 - 05/04/03 04:05 AM
CindyLu

LOL....The BRAT diet is bananas,rice,apples,toast. A surfire way to go crazy!

#8221 - 05/04/03 04:11 AM
CindyLu

Hi! Have you (or anyone you know for that matter) ever tried that Benefiber? The last time I was at the store looking at all of those type of product's,I was in a loss!

#8222 - 05/04/03 04:16 AM
CindyLu

I Guess what it is for me..due to the aggrivation of it all and just being new to this and confused...i just need a spelled out list of foods.Can I find One anywhere?

#8224 - 05/04/03 06:59 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hi. I am IBS-D too, plus i have acid reflux disease (lucky me) Anyway, the BRAT diet works great for me. I also love to eat crackers, pretzles, plain bagels and speghetti when I cant eat anything.Have you tried any herbal teas? They are fabulous!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#8232 - 05/04/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

This is from The First Year: web page There's lists of what you can eat (soluble fiber), what to incorporate carefully (insoluble fiber), and the danger foods. Basically what you want to do is always have soluble fiber base foods, with insoluble added in.

In the book, there's an actual list you can take with you to the store (Week 2 section) that tells you how to stock your kitchen with safe staples.

Check through these, and post back with any questions. I know it's so confusing when you first start. But, after awhile it all becomes second nature. If you can, read The First Year. It helped me out a lot. I borrowed it from the library and liked it so much, I ended up buying it for myself. I've read, and reread it a thousand times, and I always learned something new when I read it again. It's a great tool.

#8233 - 05/04/03 09:44 AM
*Melissa*

I just tried Benefiber for the first time last week, and it worked great. I've had great results with this and citrucel clear-mix. I do use the Fibercon when I'm not eating at home, but I find it doesn't work as well for me as the liquid versions if I just use that all the time.

Remember, this is all for me though. You have to find what works best for you. Unfortunately, it's a trial & error thing. Just make sure you start out at a low dose and work your way up, so your body has time to adjust.

Any questions, let me (us) know!

#8261 - 05/05/03 09:47 AM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Hey CindyLu,
The BRAT diet may drive your crazy, but it's one way to get the body stabilized. If you don't like yogurt, then I suggest going to the health food store and buying the liquid (refrigerated) acidophilus. Start by taking the lowest dose...about 1 t, then gradually add to the recommended dose. The natural flora may be out of balance and this will help it return to normal. The problem w/ yogurt (unless it's soy) is that there is some milkfat and your body may not be able to tolerate any right now. Be sure to mix the acidolphilus w/ something...it's tart
I had to follow the BRAT diet and added the acidophilus. You could also try pretzels plain bagels, graham crackers, angel food cake...I think these foods were already mentioned.

Best wishes,

--------------------
Sue

#8270 - 05/05/03 11:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there, and welcome to the board! Check here for info on breaking the cycle of attacks web page - there's specific info there for foods to eat to get you back on track, and links to recipes too.

About Benefiber or other soluble fiber supplements, these can really work miracles. Check here for dosage and other info web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review