All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to Board - Citrucel & Lotranex question
      #815 - 02/13/03 07:12 AM
lynnl

Reged: 02/10/03

Hi - I am new to this site and have just finished reading Heather's two books- I have IBS-D and finally went out and bought Citrucil - never could believe it wouln't give me worst symptoms- took only 1 teaspoon yesterday and this morning and it has me running to the bathroom immediately- Does this happen for a few days or am I one of the few who this doesnt help? I'm ready to stop it - but I'm also desperate to stop my "episodes". Also, I was on Lotranex and it worked wonderful for me before it was taken off the market- Has anyone gone back on it since it's release, My doctor thinks it's too dangerous - Any opinions - Thanks
Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to Board - Citrucel & Lotranex question new
      #820 - 02/13/03 08:59 AM
catschibli

Reged: 02/13/03

HI Lynnl
I have never tried Citrucel but used Metamucil for years sometimes good and sometimes not. I have been back on the Lotronex since end of Nov. and it is fabulous. (I literally cried when they took it off the market) I take 1 pill in the mornings and if I am travelling and find the Ibs turns to IbsC then I skip the Lotronex until things regulate. I still am careful about foods but all in all life is back to normal again after years! I can't see why your doctor wants you to stay away from it. Important is that you watch and find the right dosage for you with your doctor's help and then don't take it if you become constipated. At one point I could get along with only 1/2 pill for a day... So, try the Lotronex again and see if you are successful. Good Luck
Cathy

#841 - 02/13/03 12:42 PM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi Lynn,

When I tried Citrucel it made my diarrhea worse as well. I switched to Fibercon and it has made a HUGE difference for me, so you might just need to try a different type of soluble fiber.

Mary Kay

Question for MaryKay... new
      #842 - 02/13/03 12:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Did you have the problems with plain, unflavored, uncolored Citrucel? I'm trying to figure out if methylcellulose itself can cause symptoms for some people or if it is the additives in the flavored versions (the orange dye, citric acid, sometimes artificial sweeteners, etc.) that are the real culprits.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Question for MaryKay... new
      #845 - 02/13/03 01:06 PM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi Heather,

No, I used the orange flavored kind (but not artificially sweetened). I never tried any unflavored. But next I used Metamucil orange flavored and had better luck with it, but not as good as I was hoping for. Then I switched to Fibercon pills, and they have made a big difference for me, more solid BMs and less often.

Thanks for all you do!!
Mary Kay

#930 - 02/15/03 02:49 PM
lynnl

Reged: 02/10/03

Thanks for the replies. I actually used the clear Citrucel and did not do well on it. I went out and bought Fibercon tablets and will try them tomorrow. My doctor is firm on her decision regarding Lotronex - Maybe I need to find another doctor! Thanks again - this board is a big help- it's good to know I'm not the only one going throught this. Sometimes I think I'm going crazy!!!
Lynn

#946 - 02/16/03 08:20 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

I bought the Benefiber and tried it the other day. It was great that it doesn't thicken and isn't gritty but, boy, did it give me gas, although I "went" too but not worth all that gas (with no pain). Then I tried Citricel and it did the same thing, tho not quite as bad. Going to go back on fibercon tablets and see what happens. Oh, well...
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5103

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review