All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather - The Candida question
      #812 - 02/13/03 05:59 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

I wrote to a while ago asking about where you stood, Heather (and I would be interested to hear other opinions too) on the debate on Candida being a possible cause or actor in IBS. I have read loads of literature on Candida, Gut Fermentation Syndrome, Leaky Gut Syndrome and Dybiosis. Some of the arguments are very convincing though very depressing as it means following a very restrictive diet and taking a concoction of herbs and supplements to help solve the problem if indeed it even can be solved (and if it even exists!)
Given that a large part of your diet includes carbohydrates and which are said to make the problem worse, what is your opinion of all the evidence and literature which contradicts your method.
I have to say that I have found your diet absolutely brilliant for me, so maybe this is the proof that candida & co. don't exist. However, I can't get the niggling doubt that I am feeding these 'unfriendly bacteria' which in the long term gives me a sense of wellbeing but which, in the long run will worsen my condition.

By the way, I recently did a 3 day stool test which concluded that I had malabsorption (particular of fats and I am now taking lipase and other digestive enzymes -"Créon"). This is apparently due to these co called 'unfriendly' bacteria. This said, I did a similar test 6 months ago with another gastroenterologist, and the results did not suggest any sign of maldigestion or malabsorption. What do you think of the CDSL stool test and the Great Smokies laboratory? And food intolerence?
O.K, I'll stop now before I babble on any longer.

Looking forward to your and other's replies,

Claire

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

HEATHER - Please answer! new
      #860 - 02/14/03 12:01 AM
Claire

Heather,
I'm sorry to keep pestering you, but I'd love a response. I promise I'll not bother you again......

I'm working on it... new
      #892 - 02/14/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Claire - Sorry I haven't addressed this yet. I haven't forgotten, just haven't had the time. I'd like to be able to post on this subject with all the research references and links and such, so it will take a bit for me to write the post. I'll try to get to it this weekend - others have asked about candida too.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: The Candida question new
      #994 - 02/17/03 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Candida is a yeast that normally inhabits our digestive system: the mouth, throat, intestines and genital/urinary tract. Candida is a normal part of the bowel flora (the organisms that naturally live inside our intestines, and are not parasitic). It has many functions inside our digestive tract, one of them to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria. Without candida in our intestines we would be defenseless against many pathogen bacteria. Our immune system normally keeps candida under control, but anything that compromises the immune system (antibiotics, stress, fatigue, etc.) can permit candida to proliferate. When this happens, candidiasis can occur.

Candidiasis is identified in three major categories by the Center for Disease Control: oral, vaginal, and invasive. Oral and vaginal yeast infections do not result in IBS, or in symptoms that can mimic IBS.

While someone with invasive (systemic) candidiasis could have IBS-like symptoms (along with many others such as fever and chills), this is a serious, life-threatening illness of the entire bloodstream that can result in organ failure and death. Invasive candidiasis is diagnosed by either culture of blood or tissue or by examining samples of infected tissue under the microscope. People with invasive candidiasis are not likely to be walking around for months or years with nothing to show for it but intermittent bowel dysfunction - they're hospitalized and receiving IV anti-fungal drugs. The CDC candidiasis info is at these links:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/candidiasis_g.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/candidiasis_inv_g.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/candidiasis_t.htm

There's another great link about various forms of candidiasis diagnosis and treatment at http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic76.htm

The theory that a yeast overgrowth is behind a wide range of health problems, including gastrointestinal, is not new. The Yeast Connection was a huge best-seller back in the early '80s and more books on the same theory have followed since. The main problem I have with the "yeast theory" is that there haven't been any clinically controlled, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies showing any link to IBS and a candida overgrowth at all. After a good twenty years of expounding this theory I think the doctors supporting it should have something to show. The single research study I can find looking specifically at candida and IBS does not show a connection. This study is in:

Postgrad Med J. 1993 Jan;69(807):80.

The role of faecal Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome.

Middleton SJ, Coley A, Hunter JO.

Department of Gastroenterology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK.

Candida albicans was sought in stool samples from 38 patients with irritable bowel syndrome and 20 healthy controls. In only three patients with irritable bowel syndrome was C. albicans discovered and these patients had either recently received antibiotics or the stool sample had been delayed more than 24 hours in transit. C. albicans was isolated from none of the control stool samples. We conclude that C. albicans is not involved in the aetiology of the irritable bowel syndrome.

PMID: 1437926

On the other hand, there is now a wealth of evidence that IBS is a disorder of gastrointestinal motility, caused by problems in the enteric (gut) nervous system as well as that system's interaction with the brain. Two great links for this from the UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders (a multidisciplinary facility dedicated to advancing the understanding and care of patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders):

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/historyfunctionaldisorders.htm

http://www.iffgd.org/symposium2001.html

I'd also add a side note here about hypnotherapy, which has been proven repeatedly to have an 80-90% success rate in treating IBS: hypnotherapy would logically help a nervous system and brain/gut motility disorder. I don't know how it would possibly help candida overgrowth. Great link for hypnotherapy and IBS is http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/hypnosis.htm

So, I personally don't give any weight to the candida theory for IBS, though my mind is open if research studies in this area find a connection.

As for diet, I would do what works best for you. IBS in way does not exist if you're not experiencing symptoms, in that even though the underlying pathology is still there, there is nothing actually going wrong with your GI tract when you're symptom-free. This is very different from most chronic illnesses, where you may temporarily feel fine but be experiencing silent physical damage from the disease (as with diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). So if you can keep your IBS symptoms under control with a healthy diet (or stress management or yoga, etc.) you should in no way be causing some type of "hidden harm" to yourself.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks ...but.. new
      #1020 - 02/18/03 12:13 AM
Claire

Heather,
Thanks for your lengthy reply. I will read all the links you have added when my baby has her nap!.
I know I said I wouldn't pester you again, but I did ask about the theories on Gut Fermentation Syndrome, Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth and Leaky Gut Syndrome. I ask you this as my gastroenterologist seem to be keen to give me antibiotics (Metranodizole?) for what he thinks maybe an imabalance in my intestinal flora (dysbiosis). What do you think about the theories on this. I'll add a document which addresses this with my mail along with this link:
www.gsdl.com/assessments/bacterial_overgrowth/appguide/index4.html

The Changing Nature of Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth
Phillip P Toskes MD
Department of Medicine, Box 100277 JHMHC, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32610, USA.
Current Gastroenterology Reports 1999 1:267-268 (published 1 August 1999)

First paragraph (this article has no abstract)

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth is also known as the blind loop, stagnant loop, or stasis syndrome, the syndrome associated with the excessive numbers of bacteria in the proximal small intestine. The pathophysiology of this condition involves competition between the bacteria and the human host for ingested nutrients. This leads to intraluminal bacterial catabolism of nutrients, often with production of and inury to the enterocyte. A complex array of clinical symptoms ensues, resulting in intestinal malabsorption, weight loss, and malnutrition. These symptoms and signs can be reversed with appropriate antimicrobial therapy.

A number of defense mechanisms in the human prevent excessive bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. These include gastric acid secretion, normal intestinal motility, an intact ileocecal sphincter, immunoglobulin within intestinal secretions, and bacteriostatic properties of pancreatic and biliary secretions. By far the two most important defense mechanisms are normal intestinal motility and normal gastric acid secretion.

Many clinical conditions are associated with small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Traditionally, these conditions have been associated with small intestine anatomic abnormalities (gastrojejunostomy, duodenal-jejunal diverticulosis, surgical blind loops, obstruction), small intestine motor disturbances (scleroderma, idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, absent or disordered migrating motor complex, diabetic autonomic neuropathy), or an abnormal communication between the proximal and distal gastrointestinal tract (gastrocolic or jejunocolic fistula, resection of diseased ileocecal valve). These patients developed cobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency with megaloblastic anemia, fat malabsorption, carbohydrate malabsorption, protein depletion, osteomalacia, vitamin K deficiency, and night blindness.

As a result of improvements in medical therapy, instances of these structural abnormalities in patients occur less frequently as predisposing settings for bacterial overgrowth. In our extensive experience with small intestine bacterial overgrowth, the most common predisposing conditions now appear to be dysmotility of the stomach and small intestine; hypochlorhydria and achlorhydria (either occurring naturally in the patient or as a result of extreme acid suppression with proton pump inhibitors); chronic pancreatitis; and inflammatory bowel disease. The symptoms and signs have also changed. No longer are cobalamin deficiency, steatorrhea, and osteomalacia frequent findings. Now patients are more commonly evaluated because of unexplained diarrhea, weight loss, bloating and flatulence, abdominal pain, and nausea.

In the past, diagnosis was difficult because the only accurate test was a small bowel aspiration, a cumbersome process for the patient and an expensive one if done properly. A number of more simple and indirect tests based on the metabolic actions of the enteric bacteria were proposed to assist in the diagnosis of blind-loop syndrome. Quantification of urinary excretion of indican, phenols, drug metabolites, and conjugated para-aminobenzoic acid did not adequately distinguish patients with bacterial overgrowth from patients with other kinds of malabsorption. Analysis of intestinal aspirates for deconjugated bile acids or volatile fatty acids was difficult and suffered from many of the limitations of intestinal cultures. Free serum bile acids are increased in some patients with blind-loop syndrome, but the positivity of this test depends on the presence of bacteria that deconjugate bile salts, ie, Bacteroides species. Another approach to diagnosing bacterial overgrowth was the timed analysis of breath excretion of volatile metabolites produced by intraluminal bacteria. Measures of both expired labeled CO2 after oral administration of carbon 14C-labeled substrates and breath hydrogen after administration of nonlabeled fermentable substrates were evaluated. Both the cholyglycine breath test and the hydrogen breath test were found to be lacking in sensitivity and specificity.

Our laboratory put forth a 1-gram 14C-labeled xylose breath test that appears to be sensitive and specific. In a number of laboratories, when patients were selected and proven to have overgrowth by intestinal culture and an early time period (ie, 30 minutes after the administration of the substrate) was employed, this test had a very acceptable sensitivity and specificity (80-90%). Clinicians, however, did not utilize these breath tests very often and were not comfortable with performing small bowel aspirations of secretions and culturing of the secretions. Patients were actually given a trial of a broad-spectrum antibiotic like tetracycline for 2 weeks, after which the results were evaluated. Unfortunately, in many cases the overgrowth flora, particularly those of the Bacteroides species, have now become resistant to tetracycline. Our laboratory has been performing the 14C- and now the 13C-xylose breath test for a number of years and offering these tests clinically to physicians for evaluation of their patients. We recently reviewed 100 consecutive patients who had a xylose breath test ordered by a large number of practicing clinicians. The evaluation of that review was very interesting. Only 15% of the patients had a history of gastrointestinal surgery. The most common coexisting conditions were the ones discussed above, ie, motility disturbances, lack of acid secretion, and chronic pancreatitis. These three conditions accounted for nearly 90% of the patients with a positive xylose breath test. In the opinion of these referring clinicians, symptoms of bloating, distention, and flatulence remarkably improved following antimicrobial therapy in those patients with a positive xylose breath test. Clinicians should be aware that patients presenting with a dysmotility syndrome, achlorhydria, or chronic pancreatitis might have concomitant bacterial overgrowth as the source of their main complaints. Some of the symptoms of the overgrowth are also part of the basic disease complex that one would see, for example, in a patient with gastroparesis.

Treatment has also undergone a dramatic change. It used to be the case that when a patient with structural lesions presented with bacterial overgrowth and vitamin B12 deficiency or steatorrhea, 2 weeks on an appropriate antimicrobial program would cause the symptoms to cease and improve the absorption of fat and vitamin B12. Such a patient would stay well, often for many months, after only a 2-week course of therapy.

Now some principles of treatment are emerging, based on our experience, that change the whole approach to these patients. First of all, it is important to realize that both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria are significant in the genesis of these symptoms. Therefore any antimicrobial agent that only suppresses anaerobic bacteria, as had been often done in the past, will not suffice in a number of patients with these new symptoms. One must choose a therapeutic agent that acts against both of these large groups of bacteria. We commonly use amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, 825 mg orally twice a day for 10 days. In patients allergic to penicillin, we have used agents such as cephalosporin and metronidazole. It is not uncommon for a patient to receive 10 to 14 days of one of these effective programs and for the patient to do well with regard to cessation of symptoms but then quickly experience a relapse. For this reason, patients are now frequently given cyclical therapy for 1 week out of every month. If the cyclical program is not successful, then a 30-day treatment with appropriate antimicrobial agents is employed. Most patients respond to the 30-day treatment quite well and can then go back on cyclical therapy. Some patients do not respond to any antimicrobial agent. In these patients it is noteworthy that octreotide (25-50 mg) at bedtime will effectively induce a normalization of motility in the small intestine and clear the patient of bacterial overgrowth.

Nutritional support is an important aspect of a therapeutic program. To reduce diarrhea and steatorrhea, a lactose-free diet and substitution of a large part of dietary fat with medium-chain triglycerides may be necessary. Formulations are now available that contain literally all of their fat as medium-chain triglycerides. Patients with cobalamin malabsorption should receive monthly injections of this vitamin. Deficiencies of other nutrients, such as calcium, should be addressed.

Clinicians should have a low threshold for suspecting bacterial overgrowth as the cause of malabsorption because the entity is rather common

Synonyms and related keywords: acquired monosaccharide intolerance of infancy, blind-loop syndrome, contaminated small bowel syndrome, small intestinal stasis syndrome, stagnant loop syndrome

Re: Thanks ...but.. new
      #1059 - 02/18/03 05:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Honestly, for some of this stuff I just don't know what to think. I've seen conflicting research studies about treating IBS with antibiotics. Small bowel bacterial overgrowth I found a little info on at http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/smintestine.htm It's classified as a different GI motility disorder than IBS (it affects the small intestine as opposed to the colon) by the researchers at UNC, which is one of the top-notch IBS study centers in the world.

There was a very splashy news report a while back from Cedars Sinai that linked small bowel bacterial overgrowth to IBS - that report is at http://healingwellibd.subportal.com/health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Bowel/Inflammatory_Bowel_Disease/106503.html

However, there were quite a few technical problems with this study and the conclusions drawn, and other researchers haven't been able to duplicate the results. The UNC response to the Cedars Sinai study is at http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/bacteriaovergrowthandibs.htm

My take on the whole thing is that they need to do more research. There is so much evidence now of the brain-gut dysfunctional interaction in IBS that I'd like to see studies in other areas (like bacterial overgrowth) tied into the nervous system elements. Otherwise, the big picture doesn't make sense to me.

Everything I can find about leaky gut syndrome is related to the candida theory - I haven't been able to come across any research studies or articles that seem credible to me. Same thing for the gut fermentation syndrome.

If your GI doc thinks you have small intestine bacterial overgrowth (and it seems from the research articles that there are clear tests to diagnose this) then this may be what's causing your symptoms, in which case the antibiotics could really help. For IBS, antibiotics in general tend to make symptoms much worse.

Sorry I don't have better info on all this - there is a lot of conflicting information on a lot of these topics and all I can do is sift through it and try to be objective. Not always easy...

Best,
Heather

--------------------

THANKS! new
      #1069 - 02/19/03 12:44 AM
Claire

Thanks Heather. I think in my own particular case, I will ask to take the breath test as this seems like a pretty good way of making a clear diagnosis.
The information is contradictory and I must admit that having read numerous articles, my head was spinning. All I can say for the moment is that with your diet, I feel better so unless I receive a 100% certain diagnosis of Bacterial overgrowth, I'm going to keep on eating those baguettes!

Thanks again for your response,
Claire

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review