All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need advice (long)
      #79581 - 06/15/04 03:38 PM
Amyhead

Reged: 01/10/04

(This was originally sent to Heather's e-mail which I didn't know if that was appropriate or not). See the last paragraph if you want to bypass my personal history. Also, I am struggling to get this diet thing right for my gas, bloat and pain. I'm at a loss these days for what to do.

I just had a colonoscopy with a few biopsies taken. Unless something comes back from the biopsies, the doctor has diagnosed severe IBS. I also have a little added insult of scar tissue that has created loops in my intestines. I have a long history of ovarian tumors which resulted in 5 laps. My doctor can really do no more for me as I am sensitive to most of the limited drugs he is open to. I will be getting a referral to UNC, but that's just going to take forever. With this colonoscopy, I have recommitted myself to getting on with my life with IBS. At this point, one of my most debilitating symptoms is bloating, pain and gas. The diarrhea has seemed to take a back seat to the other symptoms for now. I gave up coffee, carbonated beverages, caffeine and sweets back in December. I do not eat raw vegetables. I do not chew gum. I do not drink through a straw. I take Benefiber every evening with my meal. I follow most of your rules in the book. I still have a lot of pain and bloating and gas. I also drink peppermint tea. I have ordered your teas and peppermint caps. I take Remeron antidepressant and I use Xanax as needed. I take Neosol antispasmodic as needed, too.

With this recommitment to get myself healthy, I have read several books that I have purchased over time. This "I.B.S. Relief" book says that carbohydrates create gas because they are not completely digested in the small bowel, but rather get to the large bowel and are digested which causes bloat, gas and pain. Other books including your book encourages soluble fiber. I do believe following this helped with my diarrhea, but I am beginning to wonder if the soluble fiber which I think are carbs is contributing to my terrible pain, bloat and gas.

You knowledgeable people, get me going in the right direction!

Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need advice (long) new
      #79584 - 06/15/04 03:44 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Heather's usually a bit busy for emails, whereas us lot seem to have lots of time on our hands!

Yeah, loads of books say different things. But I trust Heather and all her stuff has really helped me!

I've never taken benefiber, so we need an expert here, but I'm guessing that that simply isn't the SFS (soluble fibre supplement) for you. They all have slightly different side effects and everyone has their favourites. I was on Fybogel, which contains psyllium. This is actually known to CAUSE bloating and gas, which I hated. I've since switched to Heather's Acacia which is a LOT gentler and bye-bye bloating!

Of course, sometimes I have bad days with this, usually when I've eaten something I knew I shouldn't have. Then I take a bit more Acacia and drink LOADS of fennel tea.

Btw, what dose of benefibre are you on?

The soluble fibre based diet is brilliant in my opinion. But do you ever get C?

Benefiber expert needed, please! - nt new
      #79586 - 06/15/04 03:45 PM
Linz

Benefiber new
      #79589 - 06/15/04 03:49 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

No way shape or form can I take Benefiber, it makes me so much worse. It's 100% Guar Gum which is a laxative, watch out for it in other foods also.

Nope, Benefiber (guar gum) not a laxative, just soluble fiber... new
      #79618 - 06/15/04 04:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but some folks get lots of gas and bloating from guar gum, so you have to see for yourself if Benefiber is the best SFS for you. All soluble fibers work the same way to normalize water content in the bowel, so they work equally well for diarrhea and constipation. There is just a lot of individual variation in WHICH soluble fiber supplement works best for every person without causing extra bloating and gas.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

This will probably be it then - try Acacia instead - nt new
      #79620 - 06/15/04 04:20 PM
Linz

Carbs and soluble fiber are not one and the same thing.... new
      #79626 - 06/15/04 04:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Fiber (both soluble and insoluble) is considered an indigestible carbohydrate. Other carbs are digestible (starches, sugars) which means your body extracts nutrients from them, including calories. The non-digestible carbs that are fiber can ferment in the gut, but this actually increases the probiotics (good gut flora) that you need for bowel health. Probiotics in your gut will actually help decrease bloating and gas.

If you're not used to fiber of either kind, and you suddenly increase the amount in your diet, this can cause bloating and gas because your gut has to adjust. So always start slow and easy, and increase gradually, especially with concentrated forms of fiber like a supplement.

I'd double check that your doc has checked you for celiac. And you can check the research library on the boards in the diet section for soluble fiber studies in IBS.

Have you tried fennel? And there are several yoga positions specifically for gas/bloating that can really help.

Keep us posted!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#79646 - 06/15/04 04:55 PM
Amyhead

Benefiber I have taken at about 1 tablespoon with dinner for about six months now. I used to have primarily diarrhea, but now things have shifted to more pain, bloating and gas.

I have ordered Heather's teas and peppermint caps so they will arrive soon. I have been using peppermint tea for some time now, too. I'll also look into purchasing her Acacia.

I do not get C... just pain and gas that is unbearable at times.

#79651 - 06/15/04 05:01 PM
Linz

Well, the peppermint capsules and teas should help! You don't have heartburn, do you?

The benefiber might actually be contributing to the gas...give Acacia a thought.

Re: Carbs and soluble fiber are not one and the same thing.... new
      #79652 - 06/15/04 05:04 PM
Amyhead

Thanks for responding Heather. As I posted below, I have been on 1 tablespoon of Benefiber every night with dinner for 6 months now. Also, my diet really hasn't changed. Back when the IBS got bad it was primarily diarrhea and I got your book and started paying attention to the soluble and insoluble and the order to be consumed and the diarrhea got better. I had also started hypnosis and during March had a phenomenal month, but everything changed in April. Now, I have pain, pain, and more pain, gas, bloating, etc. I have practiced Pilates in the past and I have decided to pick that up again. Also, thinking about an exercise ball as I heard they are good for relieving gas.

I did order your teas and peppermint caps so I should be using them soon. I already drink peppermint tea after most meals.

Celiac disease has never been mentioned by my gastroenterologist, but he isn't the greatest on the planet. I am getting referred to UNC's center and I am excited about that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review